2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (cmb13, c++, alan w, Bill McKaig,RPT, andrewlapp, Damien PG, 12 invisible), 553 guests, and 557 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
malkin Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I heard this report of what the tuner said second hand from my husband, and I don't understand.

First, we scheduled a tuning last week, and the tuner said he wouldn't have expected us to call until December, so it's a bit earlier than usual. Then there was some comment about the treble being out of tune because of the music I am playing. I expressed bewilderment, and my husband said it wasn't because I was doing anything wrong.

I'm still bewildered. Anyone care to comment?

FYI, I'm an intermediate student, not playing anything extraordinary. Current practice is Burgmueller, Bach invention, chords that I can't quite reach inversion exercise from Edna Mae Burnam.

Learner
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
A
As it is, what your husband has relayed doesn't seem to make any sense.

I wonder if it's possible there was something lost in translation from the tuner to your husband to you. Technicians, if they're not careful and clear, can say something to a client that then gets interpreted in an entirely different way.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
malkin Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you! That makes me feel less stupid and I can carry on and enjoy the mystery of the failure of human communication.

Learner
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by malkin
...and enjoy the mystery of the failure of human communication.

A good philosophy!

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Thank you! That makes me feel less stupid and I can carry on and enjoy the mystery of the failure of human communication.

Or you could phone the tuner yourself . . .

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I heard this report of what the tuner said second hand from my husband, and I don't understand.
Then there was some comment about the treble being out of tune because of the music I am playing.
I'm still bewildered. Anyone care to comment?

FYI, I'm an intermediate student, not playing anything extraordinary. Current practice is Burgmueller, Bach invention, chords that I can't quite reach inversion exercise from Edna Mae Burnam.

Greetings,

Tuning can be affected by play, yes. Particularly when there is a devotee of either Jerry Lee Lewis, or Rachmaninoff in the house with too much time and coffee and too little to do. Few players hit the keys as hard as the last check note from the tuner...

Most tunings can be compromised if repeatedly pounded, but I question whether a tech can discern whether it was that, the weather, or poor tuning stability on the part of the tuner. I personally would have gone with the weather, but if this tech wants to point blame at the piano player, (and payer), then I would stand back and wonder which of his feet he was going to shoot, next.

If the out of tunnels was due to a weather change, most of the unisons will exhibit the same departure, in that most of say, the left side strings were flat, most of the right side sharp, and the middle string usually in between, that sounds like a soundboard has changed and the strings are all affected the same way. A random departure, with strings all over being found wildly out of tune, sounds like a poor job of stability, loose pins, or both.

I don't think your playing is responsible of the treble being out.
Regards,

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Malkin,

Precisely when was your last tuning appt?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Tuning can be affected by play, yes. Particularly when there is a devotee of either Jerry Lee Lewis, or Rachmaninoff in the house with too much time and coffee and too little to do. Few players hit the keys as hard as the last check note from the tuner...

Most tunings can be compromised if repeatedly pounded, but I question whether a tech can discern whether it was that, the weather, or poor tuning stability on the part of the tuner.

Hello Ed. I'll have to admit, I myself am guilty regarding being a devotee of the Jerry Lee Lewis playing style. smile

I am a key pounder at times, when I'm really having fun with some Jerry Lee style boogie. On the other hand, I have also learned that the same hard key pounding can actually aid in helping to achieve good piano tuning stability, to an extent at least, just like the hard test blows from a good tuner.

However, I agree with you, I doubt malkin's piano playing knocked the piano out of tune quickly. It is, most likely, the change in the weather, to an extent, at least.

But, alas, despite good tuning stability, all acoustic piano will drift out of tune over time, hard playing or not.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Dan Levitan observes, in his book The Craft of Piano Tuning:
It seems that nothing will ever shake the conviction of most piano owners and players that the two things that make a piano go out of tune are 1) playing it and 2) moving it. This conviction persists in spite of the fact that most tuners are glad to inform their clients that a piano in reasonably good condition goes out of tune for two entirely different reasons: 1) because it is new, or newly restrung, and 2) because it underwent a change in humidity.

He does go on to discuss that in very light modern upright pianos with insubstantial casework, changing position on uneven floors MIGHT cause some shift in tuning.

In this instance, the tuner seems to share the wrong convction, unless as discussed, something got lost in being relayed.

malkin Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Malkin,

Precisely when was your last tuning appt?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

I can't remember precisely, but it was early to mid-March, when we were only a little nervous about having people breathe in our house.

Learner
malkin Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Laughing at "pounding." My teacher asks me sometimes if I am afraid of a monster inside the piano that will eat my hands if I play above mezzo forte.

Even my husband didn't think it was a criticism of my playing--more a reflection of, I don't know, maybe repetoire beyond primer level. Anyway, the conversation with hubby was sort of like he was praising my playing, but it didn't make sense to me. I asked for one clarification, but I'm old enough and have been married long enough to let it go when it still didn't mean anything to me. I'm still young enough and curious enough to come here an run it by you all. wink

Learner
G
G
In my experience, the only thing worse than leaving a message with a teenager is leaving a message with a husband!

Gerry Johnston, Registered Piano Technician
Haverhill, MA
(978) 372-2250
www.gjpianotuner.com

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,302
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission