2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (An Old Square, 36251, Bellicapelli, brdwyguy, bobrunyan, Abdol, 21 invisible), 725 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 237 of 282 1 2 235 236 237 238 239 281 282
S
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Tried an iDefender (helped 70% or so, not 100%) and also a usb cable with a cut ground lead. It's a shame BT MIDI had latency, that would have been a good solution.

Thanks Gombessa. I was literally on amazon.com, had the iDefender in the cart, and before ordering it I said to myself, let me check if Gombessa got the chance to answer me. I will go ahead and order one.

Regarding BT MIDI, I don’t understand how it would solve the problem. Would you please explain more.

Originally Posted by Pete14
I wonder, did you try an N1X? grin
[Linked Image]
Hahaha...
No, I didn’t get the chance. It was not available on display in my city. Not even the NV10, but I made my decision based on how I liked the action of a Kawai RX-1 and the sound of a Kawai CS-7.

Last edited by Seif Maher; 10/31/20 05:12 PM.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
.......since you and Gombessa have tried everything, and still the problem persists, I thought, hey, why not try the N1X? That might solve the problem!

Just trying to help; no need to thank me! grin

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
.......since you and Gombessa have tried everything, and still the problem persists, I thought, hey, why not try the N1X? That might solve the problem!

Just trying to help; no need to thank me! grin
Well, I've since stopped using Garritan (mainly because I needed to repurpose my laptop for WFH), and 99% of my playing is via headphones anyways, so the line-in project was really just secondary for my needs. Since then I've really grown to like the Pianist Mode tone more!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
Regarding BT MIDI, I don’t understand how it would solve the problem. Would you please explain more.

My noise problem showed up when USB was plugged into the DP along with audio. The multiple electrical connections were causing the noise (I think the USB signal was allowing the MBP's audio interface to pick up its own electrical noise from inside the laptop). Disconnecting the USB entirely eliminated the noise. So using midi via BT would also eliminate the USB connection, breaking the loop. Unfortunately BT midi has unacceptable lag for me.

I believe a good external audio interface would as well, but I wasn't willing to go down that route and pack more electronics and cables on top of the NV-10.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I've since stopped using Garritan (mainly because I needed to repurpose my laptop for WFH), and 99% of my playing is via headphones anyways, so the line-in project was really just secondary for my needs. Since then I've really grown to like the Pianist Mode tone more!

That's interesting. I've actually been enjoying the internal CFX sample on my N1X lately and I've found that the playability of the the internal sound surpasses that of my best VSTs.

The playability along with the Spatial Acoustic Sampling makes for a very pleasant experience. I think I got so invested ($) in VST's that I never really took the time to experience the N1X for what it is, i.e., a digital piano that integrates a real acoustic action with Yamaha's best sample/modeling software.

It's nice to have options and right now I'm enjoying the N1X for what it is.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
S
S
(I think the USB signal was allowing the MBP's audio interface to pick up its own electrical noise from inside the laptop). Disconnecting the USB entirely eliminated the noise. So using midi via BT would also eliminate the USB connection, breaking the loop. Unfortunately BT midi has unacceptable lag for me.

So just to make sure I understand well. You had the NV10 connected to the computer via USB, to send midi to computer, then you had the computer’s headphone jack connected to the line in, right?

Regarding BT lag, maybe BT 5.0 would be better than the NV10’s BT 4.1. But this is for the NV11/20, or if they do upgrades. wink

Originally Posted by David B
That's interesting. I've actually been enjoying the internal CFX sample on my N1X lately and I've found that the playability of the the internal sound surpasses that of my best VSTs.

Same here, I am starting to like the Pianist mode more than Pianoteq. I am happy for you that you are enjoying the N1X.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H

The playability along with the Spatial Acoustic Sampling makes for a very pleasant experience. I think I got so invested ($) in VST's that I never really took the time to experience the N1X for what it is, i.e., a digital piano that integrates a real acoustic action with Yamaha's best sample/modeling software.

God Bless,
David

David, how much volume do you like to set when playing with N1X speakers?

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

God Bless,
David
I made a similar post to this on the N1X thread. In recent weeks, I've also began to realize how amazing the internal voices sound. I love both the CFX and Bösendorfer samples on the N1X equally. It seems we may have underestimated the AvantGrand smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia

@ 12 o'clock for practice because I'm trying to preserve my hearing.

@ 2 o'clock if I wanted it to sound like one of the grands at church.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
David - Some home audio equipment for the 70s and 80s had "loudness buttons". Those makes low volumes seem...louder. Basically, the "loudness buttons" boost bass at low volumes because your ears are less sensitive to lower frequencies as the volume drops. I think this is a great effect and I listen to music at much lower volumes these days with the same level of enjoyment.

You can DIY the effect on your piano (or stereo or movies). Just slightly boost lower frequencies (say below 120hz) when listening at low volumes; you may have to experiment with the frequencies and amount of boost. At lower volumes you may boost more.

Some "loudness buttons" will also boost higher frequencies but I don't think that is necessary for this exercise.

Some people make dynamic "loudness buttons" but those would be a disaster for live piano playing IMHO.

There is a bit more to this but I think just boosting lower frequencies to taste is enough. If you want to learn more, research the Fletcher-Munson Effect (and more recent ISO 226).

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Harpuia

@ 12 o'clock for practice because I'm trying to preserve my hearing.

@ 2 o'clock if I wanted it to sound like one of the grands at church.

God Bless,
David

I play an N3X but I guess Yamaha engineered the volume of N1X accordingly. I found 12 o'clock to be barely useable as it's hard for me to notice the nuance of my different dynamics. I found between 2 to 3 o'clock is the best for me. However, my neighbor may not agree with that frown

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
K
K
Originally Posted by newer player
David - Some home audio equipment for the 70s and 80s had "loudness buttons". Those makes low volumes seem...louder. Basically, the "loudness buttons" boost bass at low volumes because your ears are less sensitive to lower frequencies as the volume drops. I think this is a great effect and I listen to music at much lower volumes these days with the same level of enjoyment.

You can DIY the effect on your piano (or stereo or movies). Just slightly boost lower frequencies (say below 120hz) when listening at low volumes; you may have to experiment with the frequencies and amount of boost. At lower volumes you may boost more.

Some "loudness buttons" will also boost higher frequencies but I don't think that is necessary for this exercise.

Some people make dynamic "loudness buttons" but those would be a disaster for live piano playing IMHO.

There is a bit more to this but I think just boosting lower frequencies to taste is enough. If you want to learn more, research the Fletcher-Munson Effect (and more recent ISO 226).

It's a pity the volume control is not digitally memorised in favourites. Else this loudness preset can be preset with the volume suitable for it.

And there can be another preset for "simulating acoustic output" tuned to the same volume as an acoustic. Etc.

S
S
I have a basic question.

Is there a nice app like Tapatalk that I can use to interact with this forum?

I am using pianoworld.com’s web interface. However I came across the Tapatalk app that works with another forum but not PianoWorld as far as I know.

Using that app is way much easier and more intuitive that the web interface.

Thanks in advance.

Seif

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
T
T
A question to all Novus 10 owners regarding assembly and transport.

I plan to have the Novus 10 delivered to our first floor, it will be assembled on site by the piano dealer. But we are still undecided if we should put it in a room on the second floor. If we wanted to do that, we would have to dismantle the foot and pedal parts, carry them up and reassemble them on top.

Is this easy to do with a second strong person or would you advise against disassembling and then reassembling the feet and pedal parts on your own and always use the piano dealer for this?

I would be interested if you tell me better not because... or sth like its idiot proof and as long as you have a second person with the manual there shouldn't be any problem. Or is there something tricky... is think you got me

Thanks for any advice,
Cheers Tim

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The two front legs and the base (that has the pedals) are three pieces. During assembly, these three pieces are assembled first, to form a three legged "table", sort of. The main body is then put on top of this "table" and fastened in place, and electronic plugs connected between the two units.
So in reverse, you can unplug the plugs (for this you have to open a back panel) and unfasten the top, and then you have two units to transport:
The base with the two front legs still attached, and the main body.
The base+legs unit is not too heavy and should be easy to carry by two persons.
The main body however is *very* heavy. I estimate 90-100kg. In addition, it is unwieldy (not easy to grab on to) and has some protruding bits on the bottom (that go into the base when assembled) so it cannot be put down on the floor without risk of damage.
So to transport the piano in this fashion, you need a proper place to rest the main body on (without risking damage to those protruding bits) while you carry the base+legs, and you need to have at least two strong persons to carry the main body itself (unless your family is into lifting weights as a hobby, that is not something for mom+dad to carry).

TL;DR It is possible, but watch out for the bits at the bottom of the main body, and you need two people that can carry 90-100kg (in form of a big, unwieldy, difficult to grip box) between them without problems.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
S
S
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
Hello guys...

By the time I was thinking about buying the NV10, I was hoping to see some product assembly videos. I am not good at making videos, but I took some photos of the process. Maybe it helps someone else.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Base/Pedal:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The wrapped leg:
[Linked Image]

Unwrapped leg:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks,

Please check this post. It will give you an idea of what you need to do.

It is very heavy, and the user manual says that you should carry it from some specific points such as the corners. I highly recommend that 4 people carry it, then it will be “easy”.

Last edited by Seif Maher; 11/01/20 07:56 AM.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
...and I recommend you have the movers assemble it on the 2nd floor. They have the gear needed to haul a grand up those stairs. The NV10 will not be a problem for them. And of course if they drop it it's their problem. If you drop it?

Kawai NV10
C
C
Could somebody kindly reply and let me know what the minimum and maximum midi values the piano can reach? Greatly thankful

Sanchez
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I’ve never been to CoogerTown; I wonder, is it a good place for retirees?

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CoogerTown
Could somebody kindly reply and let me know what the minimum and maximum midi values the piano can reach? Greatly thankful

It depends to an extent on regulation per-key, but here's what I've gotten before (from vague recollections buried in this thread):

Normal touch curve: possible to hit MIDI Note-on 2-3 but very difficult. ppp strikes are generally between 6-15. Possible to hit over 115 on individual keys, but very difficult. fff strikes about 90-100.

Light touch curve: ppp strikes unaffected. fff strikes about 115, can hit 127 with difficulty.

Light+ rouch curve: ppp strikes unaffected. fff strikes about 120 with normal effort. 127 not difficult to hit on chords or individual keys with effort.

I played on Light+ for a while with a custom Garritan CFX curve, it felt very real. My goal was to have every velocity layer in the VST available to hit "at will" in normal playing, as I wasn't interested in having fffff+ samples sitting there but unreachable. When playing the NV-10 normally through its own sound engine, I just leave it on normal touch curve and it feels/sounds fine.

Page 237 of 282 1 2 235 236 237 238 239 281 282

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,166
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission