2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (antune, anotherscott, A. Lucato, adamcz, Alex Hutor, Alfred La Fleur, Boboulus, 15 invisible), 1,017 guests, and 491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Bluthners showroom in London seems to be the only UK outlet selling new uprights as far as I can tell. Bit far away from South Wales and with the lockdowns in place and about to come into place won't be trying them, or any others by the look of it any time soon.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Bluthners are known for their warmth yes, but they also have this level of clarity where the notes in a chord seem to separate out and you can hear the individual voices. This is quite deliberate on the part of the company and is part of their signature sound. It's exactly that kind of clarity that I love about Blüthner. It's very much a remnant of the high classical style, and Bösendorfer is another piano that has that kind of sound. It can be off-putting for some pianists, but I like that you don't have to play fortissimo on a Blüthner to hear what is going on, and this level of clarity actually helps give the impression that the sound is louder and fuller than it really is.

For me, I have a problem playing on the extremely dense sounding American Steinways. That density I'm speaking of isn't necessarily a 'fortissimo' thing, it's just that it goes to a kind of distortion quickly, what you guys call the growl. This is not a criticism of the Steinway at all - some people love that sound and it is for some the very definition of how a piano should sound, and I get it because in the right pianist's hands, it sounds wonderful, but those hands don't belong to me. I have to really re-think everything on a Steinway if I've practiced on a Blüthner for a long time (which I have of course).

YAMAHA Artist
S
Starre Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by WTM
I very nearly bought one. I visited Blüthner’s London shop. Afterwards I emailed the salesman who gave me his card asking for the best price on a C and A. He took ages to get back to me and in that time I went with a Bechstein instead.

They were lovely. And they 100% live up to their reputation of being mellow. So bear that in mind, if you play a lot of upbeat or rag time, I’d probably say they’re not for you. However for things like Debussy and Beethoven sonatas (especially when the melody is in the tenor) they sound sublime.

Best of luck.
Can you please tell me how the model C differs from the A? I do not care much of the price difference so just want to know how they compare piano to piano, thanks!

S
Starre Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by WTM
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by WTM
I very nearly bought one. I visited Blüthner’s London shop. Afterwards I emailed the salesman who gave me his card asking for the best price on a C and A. He took ages to get back to me and in that time I went with a Bechstein instead.

They were lovely. And they 100% live up to their reputation of being mellow. So bear that in mind, if you play a lot of upbeat or rag time, I’d probably say they’re not for you. However for things like Debussy and Beethoven sonatas (especially when the melody is in the tenor) they sound sublime.

Best of luck.
Its so.nice to hear you enjoy your piano ! I tried the A124 and yes its very good .It did not seem as mellow as a Bluthner, but
that is fine ! A good tone is not always the most mellow tone ,
but related to the response .Bluthners are very mellow and of course are excellent instruments , the tone is creative .
However the tone of Bechstein uprights are not too unlike the
tone of Sauter uprights. "Bell like" is what I would honestly call it and a singing tone that is rich rather than thin. They may also be very creative but perhaps have more sparkle than Bluthners.
We all have different taste and even European pianos certainly do not all sound the same.

Yes I think that’s fair. Bechstein is definitely brighter.

To be honest though when looking for my piano I tried: Bechstein, Sauter, Petrof, Grotrian, Bosendorfer and Steingraeber (and others I’m sure I forgot). Absolutely none of them came close to the Blüthner for mellowness. So it’s just a warning to the OP. I’m not saying bright pianos are better than mellow or the opposite case. Just to be aware of it. I’d encourage the OP to try the piano himself but it is difficult at the moment like they said.

I fell in love with the crystal clear treble on my piano. The bass will never be as good as bigger pianos but it’s still mighty impressive for its size.
That mellow sound, did it make the piano sound dead or boring lacking power? I almost only play classical music.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
No not at all , it is a wonderful tone , a wonderful piano. You need to try a Bluthner.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
In my opinion the Blüthner doesn't sound dead, no. It's a good tone. Keep on top of the voicing though, like all pianos, they need to be properly looked after.

I'm going to reiterate what others have said though. As much as the Blüthner is a beautiful piano, with excellent craftsmanship, the highest quality parts, and excellent build quality, I would advise against ordering one sight unseen. With Covid-restrictions you can't travel far, I get that, but I would suggest waiting until after Christmas unless there's some reason as to why you need to buy a piano now. The other thing is when talking about pianos, any piano but especially the more hand-built ones (yeah I know we debate the term hand-built on here but lets go with that for now), you need to try the actual piano you're going to buy, because not two pianos of the same make and model are identical. They can be very close, but they can't be identical.

YAMAHA Artist
W
WTM Offline
W
I agree it’s not dead sounding at all. Just warm and mellow, if you think of it as a shape. Other brighter pianos have distinct straight lines with distinct angles. Bluthners have curved sides and blurred corners. But as Joe said above they still remain clear.

I don’t believe I can remember distinctly the differences it was a long time ago. I remember trying the S and being a bit underwhelmed and preferring the A. I’ll see what I wrote in my thread detailing my piano hunt. And what I emailed the salesman.

Bechstein A114
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Originally Posted by Beemer
I bought my Model A new in 2016 after reading a couple of reports that it has a more even tone across the 88 than the slightly taller Model B.
https://www.pianistmagazine.com/buyers-guide/bluthner-a/
You really need to try out all the upright Blüthner models to determine if you would be satisfied with the C or D lower height models.
I am extremely happy with my piano which I regulate and tune myself. Any questions just ask.
Ian
I'm in the UK and having difficulty finding anywhere which has Blüthner uprights. I really like the sound of Chenyin Li's Blüthner grand but haven't been able to find any Blüthner upright videos online to hear and compare.
Where I bought mine from:
https://www.mclarenspianos.co.uk/product/bluthner-model-a-3/
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I bought my Model A new in 2016 after reading a couple of reports that it has a more even tone across the 88 than the slightly taller Model B.
https://www.pianistmagazine.com/buyers-guide/bluthner-a/
You really need to try out all the upright Blüthner models to determine if you would be satisfied with the C or D lower height models.
I am extremely happy with my piano which I regulate and tune myself. Any questions just ask.
Ian
I'm in the UK and having difficulty finding anywhere which has Blüthner uprights. I really like the sound of Chenyin Li's Blüthner grand but haven't been able to find any Blüthner upright videos online to hear and compare.
Where I bought mine from:
https://www.mclarenspianos.co.uk/product/bluthner-model-a-3/
Ian
Hi Ian - I appreciate the info but a 7 hour drive to Glasgow is just a wee bit too long for me.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
And the piano gallery in Faringdon, which is only a 3 hour drive away doesn't seems to have only the Bluthner grands.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Bluthners showroom in London seems to be the only UK outlet selling new uprights as far as I can tell. Bit far away from South Wales and with the lockdowns in place and about to come into place won't be trying them, or any others by the look of it any time soon.

Colin, why don't you try phoning Bluthner UK (020 7753 0533) and ask them if there is anywhere nearer to you where you can try the instruments?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission