2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bett, 36251, An Old Square, allegrettoforte, Ajax69, accordeur, 22 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, I tried to connect a Windows 10 notebook to my CN37 digital piano via bluetooth... The CN37 is listed in the bluetooth devices my PC see, so I tried to connect it to the CN37... It appears to connect, but then no software see the DP. I read on various forum that to make other software (like DAWs) to see a BT device as a midi device, after you connect it via bluetooth, I should install an app: MidiBerry (and Loopmidi to create a virtual midi port). Ok, done. The problem is: MidiBerry doesn't see my bluetooth connected CN37.

I thought there could be some problem with the DP, so I begin to download various apps on my Android device and then connected the CN37 to my smartphone via bluetooth. After a little struggling, I managed to make one of those apps (a low quality virtual piano) work (but I had to install first "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" app, that detects the DP and then makes the other apps see it). Now I can play from the CN37 keyboard and the smartphone app generates the sound. So the bluetooth on my CN37 works... That's good!

Bluetooth midi could be nice to make a software on Windows (maybe Linux too) to change the piano settings or to intercept the keys you are pressing for a piano learning application, without having to use midi or usb cables.

Now, the first question is: has anyone managed to connect via bluetooth a Kawai digital piano (with BT function) to a Windows PC? If the answer is no because Kawai doesn't support yet bluetooth Midi on Windows, the second question arises: when they will support it?

And, BTW, I have to say that it's not very nice that doesn't exist yet a Virtual Technician app for Android. I feel like I was discriminated against.

So, Kawai, if you hear me, please, make a Virtual Technician app for Android too. I believe that I am not the only one who would like to have it. AFAIK, Yamaha, Roland and Casio make apps for Android too...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello magicpiano,

Kawai does not provide support for Bluetooth MIDI on Windows 10, partly because the connectivity infrastructure is less mature than other platforms - in particular iOS and macOS.

I don't believe there is any reason for Kawai's Bluetooth MIDI implementation *not* to work under Windows 10, it's just not something that Kawai supports.

Regarding an Android version of the Virtual Technician app, I am of course aware of this request (I am an Android user myself - LineageOS FTW!), so will pass on your feedback to the app development team.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you James for your support.

However, according this article from 2016 on the Windows Developers Blog, Windows 10 (since the Anniversary Update edition - ending 2016) should be perfectly capable of detecting Bluetooth LE connected MIDI devices. Unfortunately this is not the case with my CN37.

Honestly, I'm very surprised (and disappointed) that Kawai fully supports only Apple devices, and that's very strange to me, being that, at least in Europe, Windows and Android systems are the most common and widespread.

Same case with me a android user.
I have DP kawai es 110 and want to adjusted the Piano by app in my android tablet-phone(4page about hotkey is nightmare for me).
I dont want buy ipad cause I dont want waste money for what I dont want.
In asia we have android user > ios user so pls build app for android frown.

I work in a data analyst position.
I started learning about the piano in 2019.
Kawai ES110 & Ipad gen 6

Hello begin ẻ,

May I ask which Android device you are using, and which OS it is running?

As I mentioned in this thread, Android 6 supports MIDI natively, however this does not necessarily mean that the device manufacturer will include this functionality in the OS that is built for the device. Even if the Virtual Technician app was available for Android, there is no guarantee that it would work on your device, unfortunately. This is perhaps why iOS is a much more popular platform, especially among music creators and MIDI enthusiasts.

With that said, I recall an ES110 customer who was able to change sounds from a Bluetooth connected Android device, by sending MIDI Program Change numbers using a simple MIDI app, so I know that the basically functionality works - provided the device supports it.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello begin ẻ,

May I ask which Android device you are using, and which OS it is running?

As I mentioned in this thread, Android 6 supports MIDI natively, however this does not necessarily mean that the device manufacturer will include this functionality in the OS that is built for the device. Even if the Virtual Technician by app was available for Android, there is no guarantee that it would work on your device, unfortunately. This is perhaps why iOS is a much more popular platform, especially among music creators and MIDI enthusiasts.

With that said, I recall an ES110 customer who was able to change sounds from a Bluetooth connected Android device, by sending MIDI Program Change numbers using a simple MIDI app, so I know that the basically functionality works - provided the device supports it.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you ,Now I understand why Virtual Technician for android haven't exist yet .
I'm using xiaomi phone Mi 8 SE which using MIUI OS ( base on Android 9 ) and xiaomi tablet Mipad 4 using Miui 10(base on android 8.1)

I work in a data analyst position.
I started learning about the piano in 2019.
Kawai ES110 & Ipad gen 6

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Before Android 6 I would understand why Kawai didn't support Android, but the eventuality that some rare device equipped with Android version >= 6 doesn't support the feature should not be a good reason to not develop the Virtual Technician app for Android too... Bluetooth MIDI works well on my 2015 Android 6 device (BTW, a device that was born with Android 5 and then I updated to Android 6). And I can connect the device with an USB cable too, it has not to be necessarily a bluetooth connection...

Anyway, I have a Windows tablet connected to my CN37 by USB cable (I use it for some VST). It would be nice to have a little Windows program to make the same changes I can do in the LCD display of the piano, directly on my Windows touch-screen tablet. Navigating the options in the DP interface on the LCD display is a little uncomfortable, and its position to the far left of the piano keyboard is not helping...

magicpiano, which Android device do you use?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
magicpiano, which Android device do you use?

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

B
B
I was going to create a new thread and then found this one, got bluetooth MIDI working on Windows 10 with a KAWAI ES920. (apologies if someone has covered this elsewhere)

Windows 10, latest updates
Kawai firmware 1.1 (oct 2020, note I didn't try with the earlier version, so it may not be relevant)

Connect to ES920 via pianoremote app and turn on bluetooth audio

Added the ES920 in 'Bluetooth & Other Devices' in Windows - I added it twice once as es920 audio (so that bit works as well I can play music from windows to piano), then second time as just ES920 (Devmgmt.msc shows 3 ES920 devices under the bluetooth section, a quick look shows standard windows drivers)

Download MIDIberry - select the ES920 as the input/output ports (they appeared automatically)
MIDIberry then displays the MIDI sucessfully in the INPUT MONITOR window when playing the ES920

Then install loopMIDI and create a new MIDI port (just press '+' and leave defaults) (will see teVirtualMIDI listed under sound video and game controllers in devmgmt.msc)

MIDIberry then displays the newly created output port, select that as the output port and you can then use whatever app to receive it. (DAW etc.)

I tested it with 'virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard' which displays the keys pressed etc, the midi sound is piped to the PCs sound output (enable MIDI input in the MIDID setup, select WindowsMM as the MIDI IN Driver, then the 'INput MIDI connection' should appear as the port created with loop MIDI

All fairly straightforward (bar a few piano reboots for windows to pick up the initial bluetooth pairing) If struggling check devmgmt.msc to see if devices mentioned above are listed, you should also see 3 devices listed under 'software devices' (MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and loopMIDI Port)

Last edited by big-vern; 10/25/20 07:53 AM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by big-vern
I was going to create a new thread and then found this one, got bluetooth MIDI working on Windows 10 with a KAWAI ES920. (apologies if someone has covered this elsewhere)

Kawai firmware 1.1 (oct 2020, note I didn't try with the earlier version, so it may not be relevant)

Added the ES920 in 'Bluetooth & Other Devices' in Windows - I added it twice once as es920 audio (so that bit works as well I can play music from windows to piano), then second time as just ES920 (Devmgmt.msc shows 3 ES920 devices under the bluetooth section, a quick look shows standard windows drivers)

Download MIDIberry - select the ES920 as the input/output ports (they appeared automatically)
MIDIberry then displays the MIDI sucessfully in the INPUT MONITOR window when playing the ES920

Then install loopMIDI and create a new MIDI port (just press '+' and leave defaults) (will see teVirtualMIDI listed under sound video and game controllers in devmgmt.msc)

MIDIberry then displays the newly created output port, select that as the output port and you can then use whatever app to receive it. (DAW etc.)

I tested it with 'virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard' which displays the keys pressed etc, the midi sound is piped to the PCs sound output (enable MIDI input in the MIDID setup, select WindowsMM as the MIDI IN Driver, then the 'INput MIDI connection' should appear as the port created with loop MIDI

All fairly straightforward (bar a few piano reboots for windows to pick up the initial bluetooth pairing) If struggling check devmgmt.msc to see if devices mentioned above are listed, you should also see 3 devices listed under 'software devices' (MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and loopMIDI Port)

All fairly straightforward

LOL ....

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones

Thanks for sharing your findings!

The connection process under Windows is more convoluted than under other OSs, however I'm glad to read that - with the correct software configuration - it is possible.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
B
no worries, the android recognition was simple in comparison, but I like the geeky side of things.. cheers

A
A

I have no issue with audio BT. MIDI via BT is not working. Do you know if the ES920 support BT MIDI on Windows 7? Thanks

Originally Posted by Alekhan
I have no issue with audio BT. MIDI via BT is not working. Do you know if the ES920 support BT MIDI on Windows 7? Thanks

As far as I am aware, BT MIDI support is only available in Windows 10.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Doing a search for bluetoth midi and windows 10 gives a list of problems (not only kawai).
Bluetooth on windows is subpar compared to other platforms.

A
A
Originally Posted by Alekhan

As far as I am aware, BT MIDI support is only available in Windows 10.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks, There is MIDI LE Android emulation for Windows but not worth the trouble. It's time to upgrade Windows.

E
Online Content
E
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that playing MIDI files on a Host (Win10 PC in my case) sends MIDI commands from the Host to the DP. The DP then effectively "plays" the DP as if the keys were pressed. I turned BT on and played the MIDI on the PC but the sound is clearly inferior to actually pressing the DP keys which indicates that the Host app is playing the music and the audio is being transmitted via BT to the DP. The DP is not playing the MIDI commands.

With the Host BT off the audio is on the Host only.

Is there a way to play the MIDI commands on the DP?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@ee375 : which software do you use to play MIDI ? The integrated MIDI player convert MIDI to audio with a limited soft synthesiser.

You should use MIDI softwares like Anvil Studio, Studio One Prime, Cakewalk by BandLab (all free).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Hello ee375,

Originally Posted by ee375
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that playing MIDI files on a Host (Win10 PC in my case) sends MIDI commands from the Host to the DP. The DP then effectively "plays" the DP as if the keys were pressed.

May I ask how you are connecting/pairing the instrument's Bluetooth MIDI in Windows 10?

Originally Posted by ee375
I turned BT on and played the MIDI on the PC but the sound is clearly inferior to actually pressing the DP keys which indicates that the Host app is playing the music and the audio is being transmitted via BT to the DP. The DP is not playing the MIDI commands.

It's possible that the MIDI file is playing through Windows' built-in MIDI synthesiser, and then this sound is being transmitted via Bluetooth Audio to the instrument's speaker system.

Again, please confirm whether you are connecting to Bluetooth MIDI or Bluetooth Audio.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Happy Holidays Everyone!!
by Oniap - 11/27/21 01:56 PM
Bestselling Adult Beginner Method Books Reviewed
by scientistplayspian - 11/27/21 01:38 PM
Heartattack - how my iPad destroyed my Piano
by Senahoi - 11/27/21 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,279
Posts3,149,228
Members103,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission