2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kmiss Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello,

We are looking to buy a piano for our sons who have been playing for 12 years. We went to few shops and they tried various instruments. They like a Broadmann PE121, Pear RiverEU118, and a Petrof 115.
The Broadmann and Pearl river are new, the petrof is used, made in 2007.
The Brodmann is the most expensive of the 3 and on the top of our budget. Pear River and Petrof are in our range but one is used, the other is new.
They tried Yamaha, Kawai and did not like them. Others they liked are not in our budget.

Can people share how Broadmann, Pear River new pianos hold over time. How many years has a Petrof made in 2007 left.

From searching the forum most people are not fansbof chinese made pianos. The fact is that almost everything is made in china from cell phones to TV etc... Even companies like Steinway get their entry level piano lines manufactured in China.
If anyone has owned a Broadmann, a Pearl River, or a Petrof from 2007 please share your experience. Thank uou

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Kmiss
From searching the forum most people are not fans of chinese made pianos.
I haven't gotten that impression at all either on PW or from reading the Piano Buyer. Of course, there will be some who don't rate them highly, and if one is comparing Chinese pianos to very high end pianos most will say they don't compare favorably. But my impression is that the best Chinese pianos are considered very good pianos in their price range.

Quite a few Chinese verticals are listed in the Piano Buyer's staff picks:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/staff-picks-recommendations/

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/24/20 05:49 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is less about where it is made and more about manufacturing and quality control standards.
China made Essex is Steinway design and quality control.
I would go with Petrof if inspection shows no problems.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
This is quite a tough one. The Petrof 115 is a really good design and a solid piano, and it's not so old. They're a really fine make, but it's shorter than the Brodmann.

The Brodmann 121 may work well enough for your needs, I wouldn't worry that it's made in China, especially if you're not going to subject it to 8 hours practice a day.

I don't know the Pearl River, but they're a good make. It's probably on a par with the Brodmann but the Brodmann may have a warmer sound.

YAMAHA Artist
Online Content
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
The Brodmann 121 may work well enough for your needs, I wouldn't worry that it's made in China, especially if you're not going to subject it to 8 hours practice a day.
I think maybe 1 out of 500 piano owners practice 8 hours/day. IOW unless the OPs sons are preparing to enter a conservatory we can assume the piano will get far less playing time even between both of them.

K
Kmiss Offline OP
OP Offline
K
@Pianoloverus, you are correct. The piano gets played on average 1 hourva day

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Being played a couple hours per day, all of these pianos will last for many, many years. If it were me, I would choose the one that the sons were most excited about. Reliability would be rather low on a list of requirements.

[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I previously owned a Petrof 115 made in 1990, so it was a good bit older than the one you’re looking at. I bought it used and kept it a few years until I got my current instrument (a grand).

I liked the Petrof a lot, and selected it over a Baldwin Hamilton specifically because of its tone. But I’ve never played a Brodman so I can’t really help you there.

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 10/24/20 09:31 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I think any new piano made today will reliably last 40-50 years. There are millions of pianos still going that were made in the 1950s and 60s and they weren’t all of the highest standard to begin with. Most China made pianos have CNC and laser cut parts that are more precise than 60 years ago here in the US.

I feel it’s more a matter of material quality and it’s seldom revealed what parts are MDF or particle board or plywood. These are things that affect tonality but not reliability.

Most China piano manufacturers have lines with higher grade materials that they do (rightfully) brag about. I would seek these higher grade offerings.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
Online Content
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I feel it’s more a matter of material quality and it’s seldom revealed what parts are MDF or particle board or plywood. These are things that affect tonality but not reliability.
I think between the Piano Buyer's information about each manufacturer and each maker's website one can almost always find the composition of the case(perhaps not the lid), pinblock, and soundboard.

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I think any new piano made today will reliably last 40-50 years.

This is pretty widely accepted. Unless the Petrof was used in an institution, at 13 years it's not old at all.

K
Kmiss Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So the Petrof is a better option than the Broadmann, even though it is 10 years oldm

Online Content
Originally Posted by Kmiss
So the Petrof is a better option than the Broadmann, even though it is 10 years old
Some posters think yes and some clearly think no. It's not a black and white issue. The Petrof is 13 years old.

B
B
If the Petrof is in good condition my order of preference would be:

1. Petrof
2. Broadmann
3. Pearl River

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
K
Kmiss Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Let us know what you end up deciding!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
I like my Brodmann PE-162. The technicians I’ve used have commented on how nicely built it is.

Time will tell.

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
My tuppenceworth on the matter is that your piano isn't going to receive a lot of punishment, and all of the pianos mentioned are made from good component parts. It would be difficult to see any of them having major problems in the long term, and with that I would personally pick the piano I liked the best. There isn't such a great difference in height between the 3 pianos and if I'm not mistaken the design of the Petrof is such that it sounds like a taller piano anyway.

YAMAHA Artist
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Petrof sounds the best, but it depends on its condition.
I bought one 70s Petrof recently and it is still great.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
K
Kmiss Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. He played them again and liked the Petrof the best. We are getting he likes best.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission