2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pikka Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone,

I recently started Alfred level 2 and am currently on the piece - "Alexander's Ragtime Band".
Does anyone have any suggestions on supplemental pieces (classical pieces) to work with Alfred's level 2? I learnt the piece Minuet in G by Bach and loved it.

Also, is it ok for me to skip the blues pieces in Alfred's? I am not enjoying those pieces at all and feel they are hindering my progress. I do practice sight reading with these pieces but don't enjoy practicing/learning them.

(I am new to the forum here, so incase these questions have been addressed before, please direct me to those forums.)

Thanks so much!

Started playing in January 2020.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome to the forum Pikka

I know exactly what you mean about not liking some of the pieces in the book, and honestly if you are not enjoying them (and I wasn't) then it can be hard to stay motivated. My main complaint with Alfred's AIO is the lack of classical pieces, which eventually led me to leaving this method.

Since you liked the minuet in G, you may wish to get The Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach here. There is a mix of beginner and harder pieces here, so a great favourite for the early beginner.

My own opinion on Alfred's AIO is it a good method, but for those wishing to play classical pieces you might as well go straight into beginner classical pieces. There is plenty of free material at the site previously linked, however I liked books that came with CD's (though I think these days you download the tracks). My favourite after I left Alfred was this series.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pikka
Also, is it ok for me to skip the blues pieces in Alfred's? I am not enjoying those pieces at all and feel they are hindering my progress.
Sure it's okay, especially if you play other pieces apart from Alfred's books. Earlofmar has given you excellent recommendations. You could also take a look at the RCM Celebration series. But I was a bit surprised by your thinking that the blues pieces hinder your progress. Do you mean that they take you a long time to learn, and therefore you are not progressing as fast? Obviously, there is something in these pieces that is more difficult for you to learn, and whatever that may be, you'll probably have to learn this one day. But no worry, skip those pieces that give you no joy, keep on playing, and everything you'll need to learn will present itself many times. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
W
W
I’ve done a bit of the opposite- I cherry pick a few pieces from Alfred - such as cannon in D and a couple of others- and work from the absrm pieces. Also there’s a book of jazz pieces I’m slowly learning- again I cherry pick the pieces I like

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forums, Pikka

The only two pieces I remember form book 2 that I play once in awhile would be Danny Boy and Musetta's Waltz. I supplemented Alfred's 2 with RCM pieces, and then ended up just following the RCM syllabus.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

P
Pikka Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you all for the warm welcome and responding to my question.

Thanks Earlofmar - I had heard about the The Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, but wasn't sure if it is the right level for me. I will check it out. Any suggestions which level would be appropriate for me to start with the "Essential Piano Repertoire" - Preparatory or Level 1?

Same question for the RCM/ABRSM series - Which would be the appropriate level for me?
I also came across other series - "Exploring Piano Classics" series (again unsure about the level). Has anyone followed this one? Any feedback on how your experience was?

Animisha - Thanks for your input. What I mean is that I can sight read the blues pieces relatively at ease but the few days it takes for me to bring it to tempo and make it sound good are really painful. I don't enjoy how they sound at a slower tempo while I am learning the piece and that makes my whole practice session frustrating.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Same question for the RCM/ABRSM series - Which would be the appropriate level for me?

Without knowing everything you have learned, it's hard to say. You can find the RCM syllabus here. I'd take a look at some of the early levels and see what you would feel comfortable with or enjoy playing.

https://files.rcmusic.com//sites/default/files/files/RCM-Piano-Syllabus-2015.pdf

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Earlofmar - I had heard about the The Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, but wasn't sure if it is the right level for me. I will check it out. Any suggestions which level would be appropriate for me to start with the "Essential Piano Repertoire" - Preparatory or Level 1?

Considering you are on Alfred's book 2 preparatory level might feel like a step backwards, so I would go straight to level 1.

use this and this to search for pieces by grade.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
Pikka Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks so much for the wonderful sources advice!

W
W
I use several books with different pieces- I’m working through the absrm books but cherry pick pieces from Alfreds and a jazz for beginners with pieces such as “I wanna be like you” and “summertime”

Last edited by Wayne2467; 10/17/20 03:47 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Welcome to the forum Pikka

I know exactly what you mean about not liking some of the pieces in the book, and honestly if you are not enjoying them (and I wasn't) then it can be hard to stay motivated. My main complaint with Alfred's AIO is the lack of classical pieces, which eventually led me to leaving this method.

Since you liked the minuet in G, you may wish to get The Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach here. There is a mix of beginner and harder pieces here, so a great favourite for the early beginner.

My own opinion on Alfred's AIO is it a good method, but for those wishing to play classical pieces you might as well go straight into beginner classical pieces. There is plenty of free material at the site previously linked, however I liked books that came with CD's (though I think these days you download the tracks). My favourite after I left Alfred was this series.

Thank you so much for these links! I bought the Level 1 book to have some nice short original form pieces to play as supplements to Faber. Could not decide between level 1 and 2 but eventually decided to go with Level 1. If level 1 turns out to be easy no problem, I'll just learn these and then get the next book.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission