2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the case was made for rental N3 pianos; it is impressive.

M
M
Originally Posted by BrokenSymmetry
[Linked Image]
Currently playing Debussy and Fauré, and loving the richness of the N3X sound, and subtleties possible with its sustain pedal. Surprisingly I'm really liking the Bosendorfer sound.
Will report more after more playing...

That looks good! The more I see and hear the N3X the more I like it 🤤 (Kawai better hurry up and come up with its own!). Wishing you lots of fun time with it!

I had never heard of the GT1 before, it'll be interesting to have your feedback on how the hybrid technology upgrade feels!

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Chopin, Ballade no 1
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I had the chance to try one once at a dealer, here's are my first impressions:

Pro's:

- it's amazing

Cons:

- it's expensive

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Lack of short stick not a problem for y’all?

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I have an N3 and I never use its short stick. It may have its use on an acoustic piano where you may want it in that position to lower the volume a little (but not too much as to close the lid completely).

With the N3 and N3X, it just looks cooler to use the long stick to hold up the lid always. If you want less volume, just turn down the volume knob. So there's really no more use of the short stick for volume control anymore on the N3X, and having a lowered lid on the short stick just doesn't provide a better aesthetical value than having the lid on long stick. That's probably why they decided to do away with the short stick.

And I never close the lid completely on my N3 either. Not unless for moving or for a long away trip to avoid collecting dust on the speaker cabinet.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
For me, the short stick (position) looks cooler.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
New to this forum, justed wanted to mention that after 10,000+ hours played my trusty 22-year old Yamaha GT 1 (the very first hybrid piano), has been replaced by a brand-new Yamaha N3X:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Currently playing Debussy and Fauré, and loving the richness of the N3X sound, and subtleties possible with its sustain pedal. Surprisingly I'm really liking the Bosendorfer sound.

Wow.. looks absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful. Enjoy your new piano!!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pete14
For me, the short stick (position) looks cooler.

I am not in the market for a piano - but if I was, it would be something I would miss but it won't be a deal breaker. Can you replace the stick in the after market?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
The lid has to be designed to support the short stick as well. There's a little round groove at the bottom of the lid to rest on the short stick (and there's another one for the long stick as well). Without this short-stick-groove built-into the lid, you have nowhere to rest the lid on an after-market short stick anyway.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
My impression of N3 and N3X is that the lid and the music stand affect a lot when it comes to the sound that the player hears.

Open lid gives a fuller sound than closed lid, just like the acoustic piano. Yamaha AvantGrand speakers already have some kinds of muffled sound. When playing with the lid closed, it is even more muffled.

Unlike an acoustic piano, the music stand also makes the sound muffled. I think this is due to the fact that there is no resonance from the piano body. I like to play with the music stand laid down and use an ipad with an ipad stand. The sound is more open.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The thing is that in the ‘short’ stick position the speakers are not fully covered, so there should not be too much, if any, loss in sound quality (muffled, etc..)

I’ve wondered if it would be possible to transplant the lid & stick from the N3 to the N3X. This could work since the dimensions are identical between the two instruments, but I’m not sure if a dealer (having both instruments) would be willing to do this. Perhaps Yamaha could sell the lid & stick directly to the customer?

B
B
Originally Posted by vara411
Question for you N1X peeps...

I love the CFX samples on my N3X too, but do any of you experience the unpleasant "ringing" effect at loud volumes between G3-C5 ranges that I described in my REVIEW? The effect is greatly reduced when I switch to the Bosendorfer...

Yes, I do.
I tried a real Yamaha grand, and it produces this ringing effect also...
Strangely the Yamaha uprights don't have this problem.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
...but is this really a ‘problem’?

B
B
Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture
Originally Posted by vara411
Question for you N1X peeps...

I love the CFX samples on my N3X too, but do any of you experience the unpleasant "ringing" effect at loud volumes between G3-C5 ranges that I described in my REVIEW? The effect is greatly reduced when I switch to the Bosendorfer...

Yes, I do.
I tried a real Yamaha grand, and it produces this ringing effect also...
Strangely the Yamaha uprights don't have this problem.

It depends on your ears.
For me it 's a defect because I don't like the sound ; it is more a resonance. It is almost painful.
But after some times, I finnally get used to this acoustic paticularity.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
New to this forum, justed wanted to mention that after 10,000+ hours played my trusty 22-year old Yamaha GT 1 (the very first hybrid piano), has been replaced by a brand-new Yamaha N3X:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Congratulations to this awesome piano!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Congrats! Enjoy the new piano!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

K
K
That is wonderful! Enjoy your instrument!

I did a brief search and didn't find anything... BUT... what's the going rate for an N3X in the US? I'm in the 1% of posters in the forum, but, that's the only place where I am in that group. smile But I am curious. Is this a $10-15k US instrument? 15k+?

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A dealer "offered" to sell at $20,000. Bovine exudate!
Unfortunately there are no N3X listing in the prices paid thread.

The closest thing there is the older N3 model ... selling between $9,499 in May 2019 and $11,900 in Jan 2015.

D
dng Offline
D
Costco price $15k so start there?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
The thing is that in the ‘short’ stick position the speakers are not fully covered, so there should not be too much, if any, loss in sound quality (muffled, etc..)

I’ve wondered if it would be possible to transplant the lid & stick from the N3 to the N3X. This could work since the dimensions are identical between the two instruments, but I’m not sure if a dealer (having both instruments) would be willing to do this. Perhaps Yamaha could sell the lid & stick directly to the customer?

I'm never quite sure if you're being totally serious smile Is the short stick really that important?

You could prop the lid open with an Amazon Alexa or something. I bet you could source a grand piano hinge and short stick (maybe even from Yamaha service) much easier than you could convince a dealer to swap out a lid on a new retail product. Drilling a pilot hole and wood screw for a new prop cup is pretty trivial too, in comparison.

A quick search: Prop sets are like $100 or less:

http://www.piano-fiks.net/inne_550_555_560e.html
https://gemmpianosupply.com/products/grand-piano-lip-prop-stick-steinway-style-31-long
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-Pian...eplacement-Part-Unfinished-/391355529687

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission