2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (antune, clothearednincompo, barbaram, beeboss, Anglagard44, Calavera, Dave Horne, 15 invisible), 1,357 guests, and 477 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hi all, i ´m new on this forum.
I was searching on youtube for new piano pieces for learning. Then I found lyapunov transcendental etudes. After listening to them all, I was attempted to learn one of them. So I was wondering if you guys could make a ranking of difficulty of lyapunov transcendental etudes to help me to choose. Also, which one is your favorite? Thank you!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If your skilled enough to play any of these, I would expect you to be able to judge their difficulty.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lisztlover
I was searching on youtube for new piano pieces for learning. Then I found lyapunov transcendental etudes. After listening to them all, I was attempted to learn one of them. So I was wondering if you guys could make a ranking of difficulty of lyapunov transcendental etudes to help me to choose. Also, which one is your favorite? Thank you!
I’ve never heard of Lyapunov before so I briefly listened to some of the etudes. What I heard was beautiful, challenging and interesting. I’ve got to learn the Berceuse!

Lisztlover, thank you for introducing me to Lyapunov and welcome to the forum!

Best regards,

Deborah
L
OP Offline
L
Pianoloverus,
we can never know their difficulty if we haven't played them you know... sometimes, a piece looks very easy and when we play it, it’s very difficult.

B
B
I was searching on youtube for new piano pieces for learning. Then I found lyapunov transcendental etudes.
I was wondering if you guys could make a ranking of difficulty of lyapunov transcendental etudes to help me to choose.
I assume you're still young.

Plenty of time to explore and make mistakes, because unlike old, crotchety, cranky, irascible, grumpy, grouchy people like me, you'll bounce back wiser, stronger, faster.....even more brilliant than before thumb. (You might crash, but you won't burn).

That was what I did - lots and lots of - when I was your age. Explore everything, test my limits, push them further than I thought possible, to go boldly where no man has gone before (and I'm not talking Star Trek).......and became a man as well as a pianist. whistle

You should do the same. Sight-read through all of them. Even learn all of them. OK, learn the one you like the sound of first.

Remember: nothing ventured, nothing gained. Every piece you try - even if you fail - will make you a better pianist.

(BTW, the first piece is the easiest.)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Online Content
Pianoloverus,we can never know their difficulty if we haven't played them you know... sometimes, a piece looks very easy and when we play it, it’s very difficult.
I cannot think of a single piece that looks very easy and is actually very hard. I think anyone who is considering playing such advanced pieces should be able to judge with reasonable certainty if one is capable of playing them. You can follow the score on IMSLP while listening/watching a performance.

I'm assuming that if you are considering these pieces you are a very advanced pianist, correct?

L
OP Offline
L
Gooddog,
You're welcome! wink

L
OP Offline
L
You're right! I'm gonna learn them all. They are all beautiful masterpieces... smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The first one is the easiest and you can get a lot of mileage out of it. Just remember that the first note is an off-beat!

D
D
I've messed around with all of them and can say they're all incredibly difficult. None of them is significantly easier than the others, in my opinion. Just learn whichever one you like best.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You're right! I'm gonna learn them all. They are all beautiful masterpieces... smile

Well, you can, it just depends on how much time it is going to take you. Start with one and see how it goes. Then you can decide about the other 11 !

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
BTW, the 12 etudes by lyapunov have been written as a tribute to Listz and the 12 etudes covers the remainning 24 keys left after the 12 transcendental etudes of Liszt.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I find them to be more consistent and interesting than Liszt’s, but that’s my opinion. I probably only really like four or five of Liszt’s. My favorite Lyapunov etude is No. 10, Lezghinka. It’s based off of Balakirev’s Islamey, but is a much more interesting and well-constructed piece.

Check out Vincenzo Maltempo’s recording of Lyapunov’s Etudes. That’s my favorite recording of the complete set.

In terms of ranking how difficult they are, that’s not really practical... once you get to music this advanced, it often becomes more subjective. That said, like others have already concurred, the first one isn’t as taxing as all the others.

L
OP Offline
L
I agree. I prefer them to Liszt ones. I think my favorite ones are no. 1, no. 3, no. 8 and no. 10. They are all really cool !

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I agree. I prefer them to Liszt ones.

I thought I was the only one!!!

My favorite is Terek. That's on the bucket list for sure.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Check out Vincenzo Maltempo’s recording of Lyapunov’s Etudes. That’s my favorite recording of the complete set.

Me too. What do you think of Scherbakov recording ? Personally, I don't like it so much...

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Me too. What do you think of Scherbakov recording ? Personally, I don't like it so much...

I don't like Scherbokov's recordings either. Someone needs to buy him a metronome.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by DanS

I don't like Scherbokov's recordings either. Someone needs to buy him a metronome.

Haha that's true
I recently show his recording to my teacher and she says the same thing. But in the etude ''Carillon", all the performers that I've heard begin the piece like it was quarter notes... is that what we're suppose to do ?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I prefer Lesghinka, it's easier than Islamey and more effective, even more musical, and the last one is a hard nut to crack as are all the others, but it's a beautiful amalgam between Liszt and the russian school, a fine tribute to the hungarian master.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,311
Posts3,118,013
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission