2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (36251, andrea monza, Andrew E., AaronSF, andrew f, Adagiette, 21 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JackFi #3024374 09/12/20 03:52 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JackFi
I strongly think that playing 5 years to reach grade 5 is reasonable goal if you are a child or not too motivated. I dont see any reason why you couldn't reach for example grade 4 in two years as an adult, but i think you need effective practice at least an hour a day. I am currently playing grade 3 material and i have been practicing about a year. I practice about 10 hours a week, but getting up a grade level in 3-4 months would be unrealistic in my opinion (you would need to practice A LOT) .

Thanks

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sebs #3024377 09/12/20 03:55 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Sebs
How long should the exam pieces roughly take to learn? Such as you want to sit for Grade 1 or 2 and you select your 3 pieces for the exam. How much time do you think it should take to learn the exam pieces? I know it's very subjective but I imagine if you're spending way too long to learn them maybe it's too far of a reach at the moment?

The grade 1 and 2 songs took a week or so to get down comfortably. I just stated a grade 3 piece yesterday. Seems tough as of now :-(. I would hope that any song at my appropriate skill level should only take 1 month at the most to get down if I play it everyday.

Pilotryan #3024381 09/12/20 04:08 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Pilotryan
Hi

How long does it take to go through a piano grade level?

Here are my thoughts.
If you play about 10 hours a week you should be able to get though each grade in about 3-6 months?

Thanks

I don't want to necessarily speed it up but I just want to make sure my time is well spent. Im very detail orientated. My training program is 7am-9am everyday I play. 10minutes or previously learned song review, 10mins of scales, 10 sight reading, 10 study theory, 5 rhythm, 5 ear training, 10 learn something jazz related and apply it to an improv exercise, 30 practing a new song, then 10 just playing. Ultimately I just want a gague on my practicing. If it takes me 10 years to get past grade 1, Im probably doing something wrong. If it takes me a month to get though grade 1 (which it did) the maybe Im on the right track. I just need to know if Im doing whats right or if I should make some changes.

I’m curious which exam curriculum are you following? RCM, ABRSM, Trinity, AMED, or other? And I’m also curious how do you determine that you’ve “gotten through” a level?

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 09/12/20 04:09 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Pilotryan #3024388 09/12/20 04:25 PM
J
J
The grade 1 and 2 songs took a week or so to get down comfortably. I just stated a grade 3 piece yesterday. Seems tough as of now :-(. I would hope that any song at my appropriate skill level should only take 1 month at the most to get down if I play it everyday.

I always try to have 2-3 pieces under work simultaneously. I think it is more motivating (and efficient) as that way you complete a piece more often than every 3-4 weeks. I have now also started to practice with a metronome and practice a lot more by taking only small chunk at a time hands separated. Practicing that way feels less stressful and efficient because i can isolate the difficult parts.

Last edited by JackFi; 09/12/20 04:27 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Hi

How long does it take to go through a piano grade level?

Here are my thoughts.
If you play about 10 hours a week you should be able to get though each grade in about 3-6 months?

Thanks

I don't want to necessarily speed it up but I just want to make sure my time is well spent. Im very detail orientated. My training program is 7am-9am everyday I play. 10minutes or previously learned song review, 10mins of scales, 10 sight reading, 10 study theory, 5 rhythm, 5 ear training, 10 learn something jazz related and apply it to an improv exercise, 30 practing a new song, then 10 just playing. Ultimately I just want a gague on my practicing. If it takes me 10 years to get past grade 1, Im probably doing something wrong. If it takes me a month to get though grade 1 (which it did) the maybe Im on the right track. I just need to know if Im doing whats right or if I should make some changes.

I’m curious which exam curriculum are you following? RCM, ABRSM, Trinity, AMED, or other? And I’m also curious how do you determine that you’ve “gotten through” a level?

I have tried those courses but I’m not too fond of classical music. Not against it but I would rather play something more familiar. I am currently using the Rock school syllabi. I hired an instructor to review all of the recorded videos of me playing the various songs and exercises. In a sense I’m recording myself taking a test and she is reviewing it. Once she feels comfortable with my abilities she recommends that I move on To the next grade.

Pilotryan #3024395 09/12/20 04:48 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I have tried those courses but I’m not too fond of classical music. Not against it but I would rather play something more familiar. I am currently using the Rock school syllabi. I hired an instructor to review all of the recorded videos of me playing the various songs and exercises. In a sense I’m recording myself taking a test and she is reviewing it. Once she feels comfortable with my abilities she recommends that I move on To the next grade.

I see. Sorry for assuming you were doing one of the classical curricula. Thanks for clarifying.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

I see. Sorry for assuming you were doing one of the classical curricula. Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, that's a completely different ball game. I believe everyone here was assuming the OP was following some type of classical piano course. Grade levels tend to be subjective anyway - even with the classical methods. The Rock School method may be completely different. Perhaps the better place to post this question would be on the Pianist Corner - Non Classical forum.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Sebs #3024508 09/13/20 02:24 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
How long should the exam pieces roughly take to learn? Such as you want to sit for Grade 1 or 2 and you select your 3 pieces for the exam. How much time do you think it should take to learn the exam pieces? I know it's very subjective but I imagine if you're spending way too long to learn them maybe it's too far of a reach at the moment?
Sebs, the thing is, you can do just that, select three pieces for your grade 1 and grade 2 exam and learn them, and this should not take two years. But these pieces are supposed to reflect a general ability, and if you have only learned your exam pieces, just as Bruce talked about, then they are not representative of what you can do. And sooner or later, you find yourself in a grade that is too high for you, with pieces that are way too difficult, because you didn't do the basic work.
When I still studied within the RCM system, I got ten grade 1 pieces and studies "certified" before starting to learn grade 2 pieces. Not because I was obliged to, but in order to build my pianistic ability.

Say you want to sit for grade 1. You pick your three pieces should it only take a couple months to have them exam ready?
I think that apart from those three pieces, you need to learn some scales as well. But yes, if that is what you want, you could do that.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Pilotryan #3024512 09/13/20 02:42 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Rockschool syllabus pretty much mirrors ABRSM in terms of technical skills so what everyone said is still valid. You might progress fast through the first few grades but don't expect it to continue at the same pace throughout the whole syllabus. I will just add that if you have a teacher who reviews your playing and tells you when to move on then you should rely on her opinion.

Pilotryan #3024553 09/13/20 05:50 AM
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The time it takes to learn a piece is immaterial; it's how you play it when you've learnt it that matters.

The time it takes to practise for a grade is roughly ten minutes, per day, per level. Around ten minutes a day for Grade 1 up to 80 minutes a day for Grade 8. Ballpark.

Practising more won't speed up the process because it's not about learning the syllabus material but growing as a pianist. It's about playing the material, or any material, like a Grade x student.

Listen to Pletnev, for example, playing Tchaikovsky's Album for the Young, mostly Grades 1 to 3 material. You wouldn't expect a Grade three pianist to sound anything like that but you'd expect a Grade 6 pianist to sound much more advanced.

Ten hours a week at Grade 1 is overkill and is more likely to engrain mechanical playing into the technique instead of natural movement and musical understanding.

Practise a short passage once or twice and sleep will find a more efficient way of playing it and make it more musical little by little. Practise twenty times with an untrained technique and you force an untrained mechanism to resort to artificial means to reach efficiency and musicality. Eventually your technique consists of the accumulation of artificial mechanical means that have been driven into motor memory instead of a natural and efficient technique developed without effort or consciousness.

Your idea of breaking up your practise session into a bundle of different things for five or ten minutes each is much better. two minutes may be enough for some of them at lower grades. It's doing them every day, five to six days a week,that does the job.
Playing from the score, from memory, from the imagination or by ear (from aural memory), are all useful techniques. Memorising small snippets, finger drills, aural drills, understanding notation and its conventions, the rudiments of harmony and the history of Western music all help but you can't do everything every day.

We don't necessarily learn classical music because it's better or because we prefer it. In truth we generally don't know much of it when we start but grow to love it because it has more depth than modern music. But we learn it because, apart from being out of copyright and cheap to acquire, it makes better music for learning.

Bach is fundamental to all keyboard technique whether you're learning piano, organ or synthesizer. He pretty much established modern fingering technique and no other composer does as much for developing independence of hands and fingers, or of hearing two or more different lines in their head at one time.

Classical music introduces greater rhythmic material and develops it tonally. It's the tonality of high classical music that defined the structure of a piece instead of repeat bars and da capo instructions. Where Bach took a snippet and played it forwards and backwards, harmonised it upside down, lengthened it, shortened it and so on, the classicists made variations on it using its melody, its harmony or its rhythm and changed the keys we heard it in, using tonality to give it greater emotional movement and significance.

The Romantic composers introduced greater rhythmic variety, greater harmonic variation and greater personal emotion. They reverted from the longer classical movements to shorter and more varied structural compositions, more intimate expression and more chromaticism.

We learn different things from different composers and different genres. It gives us something we can't readily get from more modern composition as these compositional techniques aren't used much anymore. That's why we use classical music.

I started piano lessons to move from guitar to keyboards in a rock band. I thought classical music was for orchestras but I came away a classical pianist.

Richard
Pilotryan #3024568 09/13/20 06:41 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes I agree but I also think that there are some shortcuts to speeding up the brain development...........

everyone would like to believe there are shortcuts, and it is not for the want of trying that many beginners have tried to find some. A secondary issue is the rapid progress one can make in the early years, this can be so deceiving. Add to this, if you pick your own pieces and get a few success's, you can talk yourself into believing you are grade 5 (or higher) by the end of the first year. But here is the rub, grades are meaningless whether you have sat formal exams, or just believe you are at a certain level. All that really matters is what you have gained through experience and there is no shortcut for that.

Since the OP wanted to know if they were going about learning piano in the right way, I would say yes from the description given, but only for now. As difficult as the first couple of years are, in hindsight they will one day seem like the easy years. Grade 5 and above (if you are taking formal exams) are increasingly difficult and this is why so many people drop out or just stop taking exams past a certain point.

Ok for the first four grades I would say, perhaps even grade 5 (but not my experience). I currently aim for 21 hours a week, rarely make it, and still feel that is insufficient. There is just no comparison to learning an early grade piece when you can get the notes under the fingers in a week and a grade 8 piece that can take anything up to a year to reach a similar comfort level.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Notation Question (Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement)
by DaveInMichigan - 10/24/21 03:18 PM
The Haunting at ParSem!
by Piano World - 10/24/21 02:27 PM
Historical pianos / Chris Maene
by Ppianissimo - 10/24/21 02:12 PM
What’s comes with a kawai grand?
by NightShade - 10/24/21 06:44 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,723
Posts3,141,758
Members103,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission