2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (benj.ma, Bett, brdwyguy, anono89, 36251, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 156 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 155 156
J
J
I got my CA79 last week and it's an amazing keyboard, but the touch screen is terrible. I have to tap it like five or ten times before it responds. I even bought a stylus with a rubber tip and that doesn't work any better.

Please, Kawai, fix the touch screen, it's a shame such an amazing keyboard has to be paired with the worlds least useful touch screen.

Last edited by Jeff L.; 09/10/20 01:28 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Jeff,

It's possible that the instrument's touchscreen is faulty.

My recommendation would be to visit your Kawai dealer to check their showroom models for comparison.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Yes, it sound as if your touchscreen i faulty. Even if I don´t love it, it works without any bigger problems. My main objection is that when scrolling, it is easy to unintentionally change values.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Michael Kawai CA79
Yes, it sound as if your touchscreen i faulty. Even if I don´t love it, it works without any bigger problems. My main objection is that when scrolling, it is easy to unintentionally change values.
Dear God, they still didn't fix it? smile
Anyway I have theory about the hissing thing, it's in the samples. I can hear this hiss on CA98 as well but since in new CA series they made diffusers on top of speakers the hiss thing is even more audible. And some people just don't hear it so it's non existent to them.

P
P
Originally Posted by Jeff L.
I got my CA79 last week and it's an amazing keyboard, but the touch screen is terrible. I have to tap it like five or ten times before it responds. I even bought a stylus with a rubber tip and that doesn't work any better.

Please, Kawai, fix the touch screen, it's a shame such an amazing keyboard has to be paired with the worlds least useful touch screen.
But it at least responds eventually?
Perhaps you can get better with it with practice. Less playing your scales, more touching the screen - it is still practice on CA79 smile
But you can use your phone or tablet instead, so who cares about that screen.
Still, there might be some functions available only via the built-in screen.

Last edited by Parkher; 09/10/20 05:32 PM.
J
J
I will do that, and report back.

J
J
I went to the local music store and the touch screen was night and day different than mine. It was responsive and I didn't want to hurl a brick at it every time I used it. I'll go back to the dealer I bought it from and see what they say.

Thanks for the help!

T
T
Is the hiss that some are talking about audible in these demos?

https://soundcloud.com/furcht-kawai/sets/kawai-ca98-78

Last edited by Tigris90; 09/12/20 10:50 AM.
Hi,

I also experiences some weird hissing sounds in the mid range on my CA79. I went back to the dealer to compare it with the same model on the show room and it did the same annoying sound to me but was less intense.

Originally Posted by Ryner
With regard to speaker noise:
I can hear the same light distortions/hissings in my piano, its kind of a light "tsss" on top of it. Maybe I am really oversensitive but I can hear it clearly.

BUT: This could help everybody, who is sensible hearing this kind of noise/rattle:
Go to: Menu/Speaker'Headphone/Tone Control -> User/Edit: turn down "High" (at the bottom of the list) and hear what happens in your case.
In my case the noise is almost gone when I turn the "High" to the very low and it increases very much when I turn it up.

How about you?
Does this work for those with the same noise issue?.......

So back home I opened the back of the piano to see if there was any loose screws that could inadvertently impact the sound. I was surprised to see that all speakers were plugged in serially. I.e. there is no passive or active cross over that I could see. So in short all speakers seems to play all the notes.

I don’t know if this is the source of the issue. But when I plug in my monitor speakers the sound is night and day. So I no longer make use of the onboard speakers system, which is a shame at that price range. smirk

Last edited by sordes; 09/12/20 04:17 PM.

Sordess
Roland HP207, Kawai CA79
L
L
I've had my CA99 for over a month and I'm very happy with it. The keyboard cover makes a cracking sound every time I open/close it and sometimes the pedals won't work, but the piano technician is on his way and I'm confident that these issues will be solved.

One question though. Sometimes the different sounds seem to 'resonate' when playing a song (when I play many keys together). It happens during the same parts of a song, so it doesn't happen randomly. It also happens when playing both with or without headphones. When I play individual keys, the sounds are clear. What do you think about it? I haven't really played an acoustic piano, so I'm not sure if this 'sound resonance' is something that is put there on purpose.

----------

My story in buying this piano: last spring I decided to buy a keyboard, because I had a lot of fun playing Roland XP10 when I was younger, and I wanted to see if my children got excited about it. I decided to buy a 150€ Kisai DP-88, but my wife didn't allow it in our living room because it didn't come in white. smile I then bought a white Roland FP-30, and I was quite happy with it, but as Roland had difficulties delivering a wooden stand for it, my wife insisted me to return it. smile

I came back with a white Casio PX 870, and I was mostly very satisfied with it, but at this point I was quite excited with playing piano, and I couldn't live with the 'calculator' brand and I wasn't totally satisfied with the build quality & the looks of it. I switched it for Kawai ES-8, and got even more excited playing piano with this instrument, but because of covid, also Kawai had difficulties delivering a wooden stand for it, so I had no choice but to return it. I then bought a Kawai CN39, and it was a fine instrument, but I couldn't live with the noisy key action, so I returned it too. I then decided to buy Kawai CA49, but then told the dealer to upgrade the order to CA79, and finally went for this CA99. smile

I'm really happy for my decision, because although I was a total beginner playing a piano half a year ago, I've grown to recognize and appreciate quality key action playing with many different DP's. Also when I put volume up, it sounds really amazing. Putting this much money on a piano would have been really out of the question just a few months ago, but as playing a piano became an important hobby for me during the summer (if I just have the time I can play easily 3 hours per day), buying this piano was now a sensible investment for the quality of life. Also all my 3 kids play in on a daily basis. smile

Kawai CA-99
L
L
New owner of a Kawai CA79 EP here. Absolutely delighted with the choice as it came after a long search. This was for my classically trained son at Grade 4, and we tried all the usual suspects: Yamaha's P-515, CLP 645, 675, B2, U1, NU1x, Kawai's CA48, CA78, CA98, Novus N10 and even Roland's HP 506/8, HP 704, a Casio GP 500 and an old Kawai KG-2D.

We didn't like the CA98's bass range (speakers?) and we had already been settled on the CA78 (more here) but decided to reserve one and wait for the CA-79 to appear in the showroom for a tryout...

The CA78 and CA79 are very close, but the keys on CA-79 seemed to be noticeably tighter: all CA78s we tried had a bit of a what I can only describe as 'horizonal wobble' as if the keys were somehow loose in their places. Nothing too distracting while playing, but something that would not age well. The let-off is clearly perceptible in both CA78 and CA79 but more consistent in the latter. The CA79 keys also seemed to be more natural and in spite of what I had read on this forum, the CA79 seemed to be heavier (subjectively) and more gradually weighted (objectively). These can probably be explained by the fact that the CA78 had been in the showroom for nearly 9 months, whereas the CA79 was fresh out of the box. No white noise nonsense from the CA79 of course, but the CA78's sound quality was a bit more tired if you listened side by side....

The CA-79 is a slight improvement over the CA-78 but (and a bit BUT, considering it's a long term investment for us) the CA-79 feels much tighter and a lot more consistent and it would certainly hold up value and age much better.

Side-by-side, Kawai CA-79 EP is a clear winner for us in the <6000 euro price range.

Thanks to everyone who helped us on this journey.

Last edited by LuxPianist; 09/14/20 04:02 PM.
M
Online Content
M
Congratulations on your purchases, Lare and LuxPianist, and thanks for your background stories. Always an interesting read. May both of your honeymoons never end. :-)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
L
L
Is the sound supposed to be different when playing individual keys with or without using pedal? When using pedal, there seems to be some kind of resonance, like an airplane taking off. smile Here's a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZXxoitb8NQ

Kawai CA-99
Hello Lare,

Originally Posted by Lare
Is the sound supposed to be different when playing individual keys with or without using pedal? When using pedal, there seems to be some kind of resonance, like an airplane taking off. smile Here's a video of it:

Are you using the default settings?
(please perform a "Factory Reset" if necessary)

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lare

Yes, it's supposed to be different. With pedal down, you not only hear the struck note, but also other notes that resonate with the struck note. This happens because with the pedal down, the dampers are off of all strings, not only the struck string. Well, that's how it works with an acoustic. A digital obviously only simulates this, but the higher end digitals, like yours, do so quite well these days, with very noticeable resonances.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
L
L
Originally Posted by JoBert
[quote=Lare]Is the sound supposed to be different when playing individual keys with or without using

Ok thank’s. I thought that was annoying, but now it’s a cool feature. 😊

This is a good example of the saying, that it’s not the actual things that make us feel bad, but rather the interpretation we make of the things.

Kawai CA-99
F
F
You can, if you like, manipulate (less/more, or even turn 'off') string resonance in the Virtual Technician.
I turned it to 3 in a lot of cases, where 5 is the default value.

Last edited by F-Sharp; 09/16/20 11:00 AM.

Musical greetings,

F-Sharp (Kawai CA79 since Sept 2020)
H
H
Hello everyone,

a few weeks back I reported about the buzzing noise on my CA79. Today a technician provided by Kawai had a look at the piano and changed the speakers to get rid of that noise. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. He said the speakers do not seem faulty and since he changed them anyways that is not the reason for the buzzing.
I will return the instrument now although this was the last thing I wanted to do.
I wish everyone non buzzing CA79's and much fun with that otherwise really beautiful instrument.

Best regards
Henri

M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by Henri79
Today a technician provided by Kawai had a look at the piano and changed the speakers to get rid of that noise. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. He said the speakers do not seem faulty and since he changed them anyways that is not the reason for the buzzing.
I will return the instrument now although this was the last thing I wanted to do.

I'm sorry to hear that the issue you mentioned couldn't get resolved, Henry79. Do you already know whether you're going to buy another model now, and if you are, which one?

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
H
H
Hi Mickey,

No I am not quite sure. Since I did not like the Yamaha clp600 series I am not optimistic about the new ones. But I will give them a shot although the 775 is 500€ more expensive than the CA79. Last time I liked the touch of Roland but not the sound. Maybe even a portable piano will be an option with an upgrade to acoustic when I move into a better suiting apartment. We will see laugh

Page 65 of 156 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 155 156

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,601
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission