2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Luft Offline OP
OP Offline
L
As the title says, which book method should I use?
I know that there are a lot of books and to each their own but isn't there an overall agreed upon book method that I should use?
I'd like to start from scratch, is there such a book method that starts from scratch and go all the way up to grade 8?
Thank you.

Goal: Chopin Ballade No.1
S
S
There's only preferences. Ask different teachers and you will get different answers.

My teacher and I use the Hal Leonard series but that doesn't seem to get a lot of love on this forum.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Method books don't do that, they usually only go to around intermediate level. Personally, I really like Piano Safari for the Older Student. It's a solid method of intervallic reading and teaches excellent technique. Currently there are 3 levels. You can always decide where to go after that. The important thing is to get a solid foundation.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
There are two ongoing threads in the ABF: one for Faber and one for Alfred’s.
You should look at these and ask any questions about the method books to the thread participants; They will be glad to offer advice and provide information

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you plan on having a teacher for your journey then you needn't concern yourself with it. Wait for your teacher to pick one.

If you do not plan on having a teacher then I wish you good luck.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by dmd
If you plan on having a teacher for your journey then you needn't concern yourself with it. Wait for your teacher to pick one.

Don’t forget that not everyone can afford a teacher. Luft has already posted it takes two days of wages to earn $20.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by dmd

Don’t forget that not everyone can afford a teacher. Luft has already posted it takes two days of wages to earn $20.

But local teachers normally charge proportionally to the local wages. Over here in Warsaw my teacher charges 100 zł per lesson, which comes out about $25. If you live in the US that's very cheap but over here it's the normal rate.

The reason why Luft doesn't want a teacher, it seems from previous posts, is because of schedule.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Luft, I recommend to you Piano Adventure's method books, because they have an excellent website with many demonstrations and explanations. In that way, you can learn some of the basic technique that you need to learn. Alfred's method books hardly mention technique at all.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
C
C
+ 1 for Piano Adventures

The Adult Piano Adventures books and accompaying videos and app provide you with a well rounded approach to learning piano . Instead of blindly learning songs it teaches you about moving around the keyboard, so can play in differnt places on the keyboard . It teaches the basics of improvisations so you can start to play amd create your own music as well as teaching you to read music and learn the correct techniques for expressive playing. It also ensures that your learning is able to be consolidated so you dont just learn it once and foget about it.

After struggling for a few years with teachers and not getting on well I discovered through this fouum the Adult Piano Adventure books . I have been self learning them for just under a year and have now completed the Adult Piano Adventures book 1 and started on book 2

I have found them excellent and have learned so much . i highly recommend them and would sugest looking at all that is written on the Faber graduates forum as well as checking out the free videos . A link to all the videos has been posted recently in the Faber graduates forum .

Working on PianoTV CCP-1 online course and have completed PianoTV CPP-B online course
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Don't think you have to stick to 1 set of books from start to finish. I used Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course 1 & 2. Over the years I acquired other books including Hanon 60 exercises for practicing scales & arpeggios and Czerny Etudes for the teacher.

In the long run you should be able to pick up any piece of sheet music and learn from the score at a certain level of difficulty. I download pieces off the Internet occasionally. Some pieces outside repertoire books are very popular that a lot of people would get the sheet music like "River Flows in You" by Yiruma.

My teacher got her students into several books with Classical & Jazz pieces for easy piano. While my teacher had her summer break, I worked on an old song downloaded recently that continues to be a Disney classic.

Have to think outside the classroom routine. Finding and playing music you like add spice to your life.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've used Alfred's books in the past, in my early twenties for a few years. Many years later after getting a teacher I started with them again, but only for a short while. I then transitioned into following the RCM syllabus.

My girlfriend has the Faber books. I think they are a bit more complete, more depth to them. As mentioned above, there are videos with Faber. Some of the same pieces can be found in both Alfred's and Faber. I think the Alfred's arrangements are a bit harder though, and sound better, e.g., The Entertainer and Amazing Grace.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

L
Luft Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you all for the responses.
I managed to download all of Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course's books (3 books).
Since Faber's books I can't find it anywhere I'll do Alfred's Course.
I'll set up a 1-1:30h routine and see where it takes me.
I also know the importance of a teacher but for the time being I have not yet found someone willing to teach saturday afternoon (I work mon-sat).

Goal: Chopin Ballade No.1
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know how it compares with other books but I use the Carol Barratt adult beginner book 1

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
C
C
Hi

I hope you get on well with Alfred's and it provides you with what you are looking for.

For others reading this post

The Faber Piano Adventures books are available through Amazon (as both a download kindle version or to order) or the Pianoaventures.com web site.

The accompanying videos can be found free on the Pianoadventures .com web site or on Youtube(search Adult piano adventure and the full list of videos comes up)

I would certainly recommend looking at the videos even if doing the Alfred's course as they may provide extra support to what you are learning.

Working on PianoTV CCP-1 online course and have completed PianoTV CPP-B online course
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission