2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 90 of 101 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 100 101
T
T
Originally Posted by pianorla
Thanks Wish4 Thing!

Progress can be slow and frustrating at times but I feel that my overall ability has improved since I began a regular practice regime and working through Faber. It's also making sure I'm working on a balance of skills along with a method book. I cannot set my expectations too high just because I'm fluent with music. Keeping a practise diary with comments about mistakes and achievements helps me keep track of everything without a teacher.

After watching that video just now I think I'm using the pedal at the right times. My one thing that I feel that a teacher will pull me up on is the heel on the floor. I have my pedal height set correctly but I prefer to have the heel slightly off the ground while playing (I know it's not the right thing to do!). The Downtown Abbey theme from the Popular Book 1 was a bit of a test but I'm able to play it without 'thumping' pedalling

If I did that, I think I’d fall off of the stool. smile

Last edited by treefrog; 09/04/20 02:58 PM.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
C
C
Thanks CognitalP. I actually have watched Allysia for a long time and it was her videos that made me interested in the Piano Adventures series!
Hi pianorla
Glad you like Alysha and she led you to Piano Adventures. I found a lot of her videos helpful when I was struggling before coming to Piano Adventures. Now I find Randalls videos that accompany the Adult Piano Adventure books are excellent.

WIsh4_Thing thank you. I find that this is the beauty of pianoworld we can all learn a lot from each other .

Working on PianoTV CCP-1 online course and have completed PianoTV CPP-B online course
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
P
P
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Welcome @pianorla. Happy to see another Green Day fan! I learned an easy version of "Wake Me Up When September Ends" a while back that I found on You Tube. Such a nice melody.

It's so nice to be able to slowly play it on piano, also just nice to hear it on piano given the significance of the song (not that I don't like the original version of it). Green Day are my favourite band so I had to learn how to play it at some point. 3hearts

I found a few easy arrangements of Evernescence, Coldplay and Green Day off a website to save for later when my hands are more independent and better with syncopation. Is it me or is it hard to find beginnerish arrangements of that aren't in primer territory or are free? I'm glad the arrangements that are in the supplementary books are really nice to play and aren't 100% chord filled.

Originally Posted by treefrog
I prefer to have the heel slightly off the ground while playing

If I did that, I think I’d fall off of the stool. smile

Maybe my pedals are tactile so I can do that or maybe my feet are too small so I have to do it grin

Last edited by pianorla; 09/04/20 04:47 PM.

Learning piano on: Yamaha CLP 685
Working on: Basic Piano Adventures Level 1 + Gold Star Performance
Dozen a Day Mini Book - Burnam
Vorschule im Klavierspiel Op. 101 - Beyer
Originally Posted by CognitaP
hi i notice that there is an error in the video link for some reason so here second link hope it works

Thanks again!

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing

Whoa whoa whoa... hold on. This is the kind of thing you're taught in Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 1??

I browsed through my entire Alfred AIO Level 1 book and I don't see anything nearly as interesting or informative as this under 3 minute video!

Am I missing something?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra

Whoa whoa whoa... hold on. This is the kind of thing you're taught in Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 1??

I browsed through my entire Alfred AIO Level 1 book and I don't see anything nearly as interesting or informative as this under 3 minute video!

Am I missing something?

Daniel Faber has a Youtube channel with playlists for the Adult Piano Adventures and other books. A lot of advice in the videos is not necessarily in the books (and proves why a live teacher is important). Worth a watch even if you don’t use the books.

Faber YouTube Channel
https://youtube.com/user/FaberPianoAdventures/

Playlist for Adult Piano Adventures
https://youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2DT1yXjXs&list=PLROQq1cZUMn_XJFiAh1KHMTpwTc1jX_Qz

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Groove On
Originally Posted by navindra

Am I missing something?

Daniel Faber has a Youtube channel with playlists for the Adult Piano Adventures and other books. A lot of advice in the videos is not necessarily in the books (and proves why a live teacher is important). Worth a watch even if you don’t use the books.

Faber YouTube Channel
https://youtube.com/user/FaberPianoAdventures/

Playlist for Adult Piano Adventures
https://youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2DT1yXjXs&list=PLROQq1cZUMn_XJFiAh1KHMTpwTc1jX_Qz

I'm floored. Amazing channel.

I have to say this is the first time I ever felt like switching from Alfred... not sure how that would work though as I've currently invested a whole year in Alfred.

C
C
Hi Navrinda

i would agree with groove_on all the videos are worth watching as they contain a huge amount of information. You dont have to have the books in order to get a lot of info out of them.

As these videos can be watched free on you tube or on the Piano Adventures own web site. They are definatly worth watching . You may find that they compliment all that you are learning with Alfred's.

Working on PianoTV CCP-1 online course and have completed PianoTV CPP-B online course
P
P
I've seen here that some of you post recordings of your playing on Soundcloud or upload audio files on here. I have a Twitter thread that I add to occasionally when I can play pieces that I really like. I added Yellow Bird and O Sole Mio today.

https://twitter.com/orlacdillon/status/1302628509135892488

Unfortunately, they're all videos filmed from a phone selfie camera and the sound is of questionable quality. frown But it is good to look back and see how my playing and my hand position have improved somewhat. I know it's better if I recorded directly through MIDI but I do want to have video of it too.

Also, I got the Sightreading app to work! smile I can prop my laptop up on my piano and do one of the exercises every day. I don't struggle that much with sight-reading but it's made a little more difficult for me reading two lines (especially bass clef) at first glance. After all, isn't viewing every piece for the first time sight-reading?

Last edited by pianorla; 09/06/20 12:37 PM.

T
T
I’ve started watching the videos and I don’t even do the Faber books.

There’s something about the way that he teaches that appeals to me.

I find him very calming - a bit like the late great Bob Ross.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
P
P
here is one youtube tutorial on PEDALING Basics, hope this helps

I just realised that the Technique portion of Unit 2 covers that same exercise that Josh was demonstrating in that video. I'm working on Pedaling Chords at the moment.

I tried playing the pedalling exercises with my heel on the floor and I understand why it's used instead of what I was doing, it makes it way easier to pedal in time. Just need to get used to it, it will help me in the long run by doing it correctly.

But ouch. mad Is your foot supposed to be strained when you first try to pedal?

P
P
Just bumping this up a bit!

I realised through reading online that I really should be wearing shoes or slippers with a good sole when pedalling, instead of playing wearing socks or thin slippers (which was causing a little bit of pain) smile. Playing through the technique exercises in Unit 2 and reminding myself to not lift the pedal prematurely helped a lot. I'm sure I'll improve and correct myself as I continue onwards.

I'm currently working on Brahm's Lullaby. Main issue for me is to not overreach my right hand so I end up playing the wrong notes.

Where is everybody else at the moment?

C
C
@Pianorla

LOVE your rendition of Polovtsian Dance!! That was my favorite piece from book 1 and you played it with such great feeling and such a nice light touch.

https://twitter.com/orlacdillon/status/1277252015907840000

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
P
P
@Pianorla

LOVE your rendition of Polovtsian Dance!! That was my favorite piece from book 1 and you played it with such great feeling and such a nice light touch.

https://twitter.com/orlacdillon/status/1277252015907840000

Thank you so much Chili!

I finished working on Wake Me Up When September Ends yesterday and I'm chuffed with myself that I can play it! I'd post in a separate thread if I could but I haven't uploaded it to a video site so I don't know if linking a twitter video would work blush

Here: https://twitter.com/orlacdillon/status/1306918361905926144

Not Piano Adventures related sorry!

nicely played! I think you have great musicality!

I realised through reading online that I really should be wearing shoes or slippers with a good sole when pedalling, instead of playing wearing socks or thin slippers (which was causing a little bit of pain) smile

yes, I have the same issue with the pieces that constantly requires pedal, my foot gets cramps if I don't change to slippers with hard bottom laugh

I'm still at the last song of 3A Christmas book, it's coming together. I don't practice everyday, just do it when I need a break from work, it helps me to relax my brain.

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
C
C

I am practicing a lot this weekend, but it is slow progress. I may be wrong about this, but I think 3b Performance "German Dance" is the first "original form” piece by Beethoven in the Faber series. Exciting to play an original form written by the Great Master but it is going to take time for it to sound pleasant.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
C
C
Hi Pianorla

I am also on Unit 2 of the Adult adventures Book 2. although not as far ahead as you .
have just started to learn yellowbird.

Have listened to you videos on twitter they are really good I agree with Wish4thing you have musicality. You have the dynamics just right to my ears. I love wake me up when september ends you are playing this really well and look like you are enjoying it .

are you self learning or do you have a teacher ?

Im self learning so can go at my pace which is working well for me

C
C
Hi Chili_time

i wish you well learning German Dance. Yes I can understand your excitment learning an original piece . It must feel very satisfying to have reached that level with your playing .

C
C
I had to catch up on work yesterday and streamed the Essential Keyboard Repertoire Volume 1 - 100 Early Intermediate Selections (Alfred) while working. I recognized a few of the pieces from the Faber books on the playlist. Not sure if we Faber folks are playing original form or arrangements - I'd have to go look at the Faber books to find out - but it sounded like we have played some of these pieces. I asked for the book and the CDs since it is my birthday this week so maybe I can slowly begin slowly working on some of the easier ones. To me it does not sound like the YouTube playlist is in order of difficulty, but I may be 100% wrong about that. The YouTube artist that plays these has such good technique. She has a degree in Piano Performance, so you would expect her to be good, but wow watch her hands!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyMe7V-qVtcCgDZalAgGCCZc0DhTZD_Lc

Last edited by Chili_Time; 09/21/20 08:16 AM.

[Linked Image]
P
P

nicely played! I think you have great musicality!

Have listened to you videos on twitter they are really good I agree with Wish4thing you have musicality. You have the dynamics just right to my ears. I love wake me up when september ends you are playing this really well and look like you are enjoying it.

Thank you so much guys! I was supposed to see Green Day earlier this year but the concert was postponed. frown I really enjoyed learning it and it was a joy when I first played it without mistakes

I'm a perfectionist when playing, I've gotten that practice ethic from learning violin. I can 'sense' how I want to shape a melody and I'm pretty good with rhythm and sight reading, except for finger positions, that's what I'm slow on at the moment!

I'm currently on the hunt for easy arranged pop songs (without too many double notes or chords for now) to improve my playing. I'm also eyeing up an arrangement of Comptine d'un autre ete (yes THAT piece!) or Bella's Lullaby from Twilight. I practiced some pieces from the supplementary books yesterday (struggled through some) and I think I'll be going back to them for the moment. I want to have a balance of pop and classical to work on in the future.

I'm still at the last song of 3A Christmas book, it's coming together. I don't practice everyday, just do it when I need a break from work, it helps me to relax my brain.

Yes piano is proving to be a relaxing activity for me. It's great to chill out for an hour and play away. JJOMD is lovely to listen to.

I am practicing a lot this weekend, but it is slow progress. I may be wrong about this, but I think 3b Performance "German Dance" is the first "original form” piece by Beethoven in the Faber series. Exciting to play an original form written by the Great Master but it is going to take time for it to sound pleasant.

Playing an original form will be an achievement after you complete it! Good luck!

Hi Pianorla

I am also on Unit 2 of the Adult adventures Book 2. although not as far ahead as you .
have just started to learn yellowbird.

are you self learning or do you have a teacher ?

Im self learning so can go at my pace which is working well for me

Yep, self learning as well. I hope to progress onto Level 3 and 4-5 (combined All in Two editions in Europe) in a few months. I'm planning on working through the scale books too.

I'm nearly on Unit 3...

Page 90 of 101 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission