2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#3019844 08/31/20 02:46 PM
P
OP Offline
P
We can talk about this Exellent piano smile

J
J
If you need any help with it, i'm right here. I've owned it for a couple months now and it's awesome.

Finally bought the P515
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by joemama42O
If you need any help with it, i'm right here. I've owned it for a couple months now and it's awesome.
Thanks my friend.. I was going to buy the p125 but a lot of people said The keyboard ghs it was not good then i buy p515 , i can read by forum, p515 has a heavy action,
I told myself Oh my ghost 😂🤣 i had to buy p125..

Weeehaaaa P-515 represent !

I have been using this DP all summer. It has been pretty great. I particularly appreciate the key action and the sound of the CFX sampling.

There are two peculiar features that makes it a killer DP for my usage that I didn't know about prior to buying the unit.

First, when I plugged the piano to my windows laptop with USB cable, it wasn't initially recognized. My previous DP was instantly recognized without the need for any additionnal drivers.
But the good news here is that Yamaha implemented a two-way USB communication in this DP. What it means is that the P-515 can, at the same time, send midi info to the computer and act as the computer speaker at the same time. This is incredibly useful if you work with a computer for any reasons. Particularly great if you use the DP with any learning application that takes midi input. With this two way communication, I could get rid of external speakers and use the piano as the main speaker and it sounds wonderful. No lag. Everything just works.

The other feature I didn't know about was the binaural sampling when you plug a good pair of headphones. I have some pretty good pairs at home and the binaural effect has been a revelation. I sometimes need to remove the headphones just to make sure the sound is not comming directly from the piano. The effect is THAT convincing.

One thing I didn't really like, and YMMV, is the Bösendorfer sampling. To my hear, it sounds extreamly bad. I've tried many times to like it with many different style of music. But I just can't. It sounds flat and empty.
Also the first E note from middle C is getting some really strong buzzing on the key. Its like that particular note resonates the material. Obviously the issue is only when using the piano speakers. With headphones there is no vibration. It really is the sound of that note that make the key buzz. It can throw me off sometimes as it vibrates my finger.

P-515
CLP-785
Originally Posted by PlayerkaN
Originally Posted by joemama42O
Thanks my friend.. I was going to buy the p125 but a lot of people said The keyboard ghs it was not good then i buy p515 , i can read by forum, p515 has a heavy action,
I told myself Oh my ghost 😂🤣 i had to buy p125..

I went from a Casio PX-160 to the Yamaha P-515. The Casio has a very light action. I had no problem transitionning from the Casio to the Yamaha. Maybe it took me a couple hours to adapt. The P-515 is not that heavy of an action. It feels quite good to me. When I go back to the Casio, it now feels like a toy. I can still use the Casio without issues mind you. But the P-515 action is dependable and it feels great.

Last edited by mareg; 09/01/20 10:37 AM.

P-515
CLP-785
P
P
Here I am smile with my Yammy smile

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7
So, I'm about to open up my 3-pedal unit and take a look. The sustain pedal began sticking to full sustain, or sometimes half-pedal, frequently enough that I can't use. Giving a little kick to the unit usually brings it back around. For now, I have a single pedal hooked up in the aux. My authorized repair guy says that impressive-sounding 3 year warranty probably doesn't cover it 'if it's a mechanical issue'. Which it most likely is. Anyway. . . wish me luck.

Last edited by Bobby Simons; 09/01/20 10:58 AM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
It seems like the P-515 has a shallow keydip; perhaps this is why the action is so quick, responsive, and, for me at least, easy on the fingers.

Yes, it’s a great instrument!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mareg
One thing I didn't really like, and YMMV, is the Bösendorfer sampling. To my hear, it sounds extreamly bad. I've tried many times to like it with many different style of music. But I just can't. It sounds flat and empty.

Most of us thought that. I went onto "warm piano" which is similar, but nicer. And "jezz piano" which is similar but more in your face.
But I altered the touch setting to "Soft 2" which makes the whole piano livelier. Try it! The Bose sounds fine to me now.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

The other feature I didn't know about was the binaural sampling when you plug a good pair of headphones. I have some pretty good pairs at home and the binaural effect has been a revelation. I sometimes need to remove the headphones just to make sure the sound is not comming directly from the piano. The effect is THAT convincing.

Also the first E note from middle C is getting some really strong buzzing on the key. Its like that particular note resonates the material. Obviously the issue is only when using the piano speakers. With headphones there is no vibration. It really is the sound of that note that make the key buzz. It can throw me off sometimes as it vibrates my finger.

One of the main reasons why I bought the P-515 was the Bösendorfer. When I had the Montage 8, Bösendorfer was my favourite piano, but when I played it for the first time on the P-515 I was horrified: it had nothing in common with the Montage's one.
After some time I discovered the reason: Binaural effect! It enhances the CFX (that without it sounds really bad), but at the same time it dampers Bösendorfer.
Disable the binaural effect: Bösendorfer will come to life!

Schimmel 130T / Viscount Cantorum Trio / Viscount Legend '70 Artist W / Dexibell VIVO P3 / Behringer 2600 / Polyend Tracker / ASM Hydrasynth Explorer
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato

One of the main reasons why I bought the P-515 was the Bösendorfer. When I had the Montage 8, Bösendorfer was my favourite piano, but when I played it for the first time on the P-515 I was horrified: it had nothing in common with the Montage's one.
After some time I discovered the reason: Binaural effect! It enhances the CFX (that without it sounds really bad), but at the same time it dampers Bösendorfer.
Disable the binaural effect: Bösendorfer will come to life!

I don't understand. My understanding of binaural effect was that it was an effect for the headphones only. Also I thought binaural was only sampled for the CFX sample ? I will definitly try to find where I can disable the effect in the menus. I don't remember seing how to remove that effect when I fiddled with the settings.

Last edited by mareg; 09/01/20 04:45 PM.

P-515
CLP-785
P
OP Offline
P
Is it true?

PlayerkaN #3020368 4 hours ago
Showpan2 Offline
I measured the static weight of my P515 as 82g at the tip of the keys in the centre of the keyboard. It uses short keys so the weight goes up dramatically towards the fallboard. So yeah - the action is heavy as heck. Ideally you want to be in the 50-60g range. And no, changing the velocity setting to ‘soft’ doesn’t make the keys any easier to depress. It just makes it harder to control the volume of each keystrike. I find the Hard setting is best for expressive Chopin pieces.

All that said - once you get used to it, you can get a nice expressive performance out of it - and I guess it must be good for finger strength training. But I’m hoping to upgrade to an NV10 or N1X as soon as they become available again.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
My ex-teacher used to teach me on my CLP-645 which has the same action as the P-515 and he found the action to be too light for him.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Beowulf
My ex-teacher used to teach me on my CLP-645 which has the same action as the P-515 and he found the action to be too light for him.
Ahh ok thanks, i dont understand anything. some say something think about it? Thanka

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
PlayerkaN, you will see diverging opinions and conflicting information about ANY product in this forum. ANY. The opinion that matters is yours.

About the static weight, I think most DPs are in this range. There is a table with weights hanging around (use the search tool), but you will notice several folks here consider the measurements unreliable or plain wrong. Also measurement methodologies vary, leading to different weight values.

You started the topic mentioning "this excellent piano". You will see, for most users in this forum it is true. And not true for some. The same applies for ALL the others, even the hybrids. Even to acoustic pianos (I do not like the ES8 very much for a couple of reasons, most here love theirs).

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
But the good news here is that Yamaha implemented a two-way USB communication in this DP. What it means is that the P-515 can, at the same time, send midi info to the computer and act as the computer speaker at the same time. This is incredibly useful if you work with a computer for any reasons. Particularly great if you use the DP with any learning application that takes midi input. With this two way communication, I could get rid of external speakers and use the piano as the main speaker and it sounds wonderful. No lag. Everything just works.

Works also on a P-125 wink

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by EVC2017
PlayerkaN, you will see diverging opinions and conflicting information about ANY product in this forum. ANY. The opinion that matters is yours.

About the static weight, I think most DPs are in this range. There is a table with weights hanging around (use the search tool), but you will notice several folks here consider the measurements unreliable or plain wrong. Also measurement methodologies vary, leading to different weight values.

You started the topic mentioning "this excellent piano". You will see, for most users in this forum it is true. And not true for some. The same applies for ALL the others, even the hybrids. Even to acoustic pianos (I do not like the ES8 very much for a couple of reasons, most here love theirs).

First of all, I apologize for my English. I am very happy with this piano, I have never played on an acoustic piano, I am a beginner and my teacher has an old clavinova, I am happy, but when reading in forums about heavy action I was worried, I thought that the action of the p515 was like an acoustic, thanks

T
T
And another new owner of a P515 since 2w. Very happy with this white beauty.
Action is perfect for me ( touch hard 2 ) compared to my lessons on an acoustic.

Before I played on ES110, MP7 and P30. The P515 is a huge upgrade for me ( sound & action )

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by tuxken
And another new owner of a P515 since 2w. Very happy with this white beauty.
Action is perfect for me ( touch hard 2 ) compared to my lessons on an acoustic.

Before I played on ES110, MP7 and P30. The P515 is a huge upgrade for me ( sound & action )

Ohh thanks for your words.. p515 is better than mP7 for you?

P
OP Offline
P

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission