2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (anotherscott, adamcz, Alex Hutor, Alfred La Fleur, accordeur, ando, 36251, AaronSF, 16 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Or is it just a video mirage/anomaly?

I joined an online piano lesson group recently, and have been watching a lot of videos of others playing the piano. Sometimes it appears that they are playing the bass notes with the right hand and the treble notes with the left. A left handed piano, or a mirror image video?

I have noticed this phenomenon before, while watching music videos of others playing the piano, but have seen it even more since joining the online piano challenge group.

I've noticed it in several piano videos. I sent a message once, and asked the lady if she was playing a left handed piano, but she never responded.

I worked with a guy years ago who used to repair cathode ray/tube type TVs back in the day, and remember him saying something about a TV that would show a mirror image picture due to a particular defect.

So, are there that many left handed pianos, or is it something about the video that shows a mirror image/mirage that makes it appear the person is playing a left handed piano?

Or, am I losing my mind? Wait, don't answer that one... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It’s surely the mirror image problem with the way the video is set up.

That is a very common problem, but I’ve never heard of a left handed piano!

smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Video editors can make the image mirrored. It is probably done intentionally to mess with peoples' minds.😁

Last edited by TBell; 08/21/20 11:11 PM. Reason: edit
J
J
I have read that "borrowed" videos are mirrored to avoid copyright infringement.

Last edited by JasonInTN; 08/21/20 11:21 PM.

Some of my keyboards:
1912 Ritmuller Art Case Grand, 1976 Baldwin Hamilton 243, 1973 Hammond C3, 1987 Yamaha HX-1, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-130, 3 Older Clavinovas, 2 pump organs, and an assortment of other toys.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There are indeed "left-handed" pianos with the bass on the right and treble on the left. They are rare, one-off instruments.
It is highly unlikely that you will find an actual left handed piano in an on-line piano lesson group.

JG
B
BDB Offline
B
It may depend on which camera is being used on a phone or tablet. The selfie camera may flip the image so you can see what others see.

Semipro Tech
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
If I use the front facing camera on my cell phone to record a video, it's flipped, making my right hand appear as the left hand. I have to flip the video before sharing.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Most likely the image got flipped. I’ve seen it happen a couple times in either online lessons or prerecorded class piano homework assignments. Pretty funny/odd the first time it happens...

My Blüthner digital piano can actually do this (it’s a hidden setting, if memory serves), as their chief digital piano design guy is left handed and has a sense of humor!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
B
BDB Offline
B
Blüthner has made left-handed acoustic pianos.

Semipro Tech
If I am not mistaken, the name of the guy more usually associated with left-handed modern acoustic pianos is Geza Loso, and they are manufactured by Blüthner. Loso has some videos on YT and apparently the left-handed model 4 (210 cm) can be ordered through this website:

http://linkshaenderklavier.de/Shop/...alonfluegel-fuer-linkshaender.html&=

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
OP Offline
Interesting comments. Thanks All!

I figured it was something to do with the video recording (most likely:-). Although there are a few left handed instruments out there.

And, yes, it is odd; and, yes, it does mess with the mind.

So, perhaps I'm not losing my mind after all... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Rick - I’m happy to hear that you’re enjoying video lessons. Without any lessons I enjoy your playing but you always mention you wanted to learn more and really explore reading music, so I’m glad you’re taking the plunge. Good for you!

I hope the video reverse images don’t make it too hard to figure out.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by j&j
Rick - I’m happy to hear that you’re enjoying video lessons. Without any lessons I enjoy your playing but you always mention you wanted to learn more and really explore reading music, so I’m glad you’re taking the plunge. Good for you!

I hope the video reverse images don’t make it too hard to figure out.

Thanks, j&j!

I'm always looking to learn something new, or improve upon what little I already know. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people who can play a piano a whole lot better than me. I think I missed the boat somewhere along the way, but still on a musical journey of sorts. smile

But it does get a little wonky when the right hand is playing the low bass notes on some of those music videos. smile

All the best!

Rick

T
Online Content
T
I have never personally seen a left-handed piano, but I have seen many many reversed/mirrored video recordings. The default image on the iPhone front-facing camera is actually the reversed/mirror image. Many apps will actually record the mirror image, and anytime the user does a screen record of the front-facing camera instead of video record, the result will be the mirrored version. Other camera and phone makers have similar quirks and characteristics. However, I would love to try out a true left-handed piano!

Waiting patiently for delivery of my Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’ve never seen or tried a left handed piano. My left hand is not as fast for trills or fast tempo and the reversal of treble and bass would make it nearly impossible for me to play. A nightmare scenario for me would be to play a recital and suddenly find the piano is a left handed piano. That’s along the same lines as the dream where I’m sitting in a classroom or a meeting and I’m naked or left my pants at home. Since retiring I don’t have those nightmares anymore.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Bösendorfer and Blüthner are the manufacturers that I know of who have built a few left handed pianos.

Are there any others that I am missing?

Rick - great to hear you are enjoying lessons. Have a blast!

Terminaldegree - when did you get a Blüthner epiano? What do you think of it?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission