2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (CraiginNZ, 1903wrightflyer, EVC2017, Animisha, CyberGene, Doug M., 1957, 10 invisible), 380 guests, and 530 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
H
H
Got an email that my VPC1 will be arriving at the shop very shortly. I've already gone ahead and ordered the K&M 18950 stand and sold off my old DP. I am very much looking forward to getting my new set up!

Kawai VPC1

Currently Learning:
Haydn - Sonata in G Hob XVI.8 1st Mov
Kabalevsky - A Kind of Waltz
Shostakovich - A Merry Tale
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HadesPiano
Got an email that my VPC1 will be arriving at the shop very shortly. I've already gone ahead and ordered the K&M 18950 stand and sold off my old DP. I am very much looking forward to getting my new set up!

Great news!. Which VSTs are you planning to use with the VPC1?

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
H
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Great news!. Which VSTs are you planning to use with the VPC1?

I already own the Garritan CFX Lite, so I will continue using that. I really love the sound, and I’ll probably like it even more once I start using it with the VPC1.

Although, I have been looking around for another VST to use alongside it. Let’s see what will be on offer once Black Friday comes around. The VSL Bosendorfer Imperial has caught my attention.

Kawai VPC1

Currently Learning:
B
B
Congrats and enjoy your VPC. For me personally its the best musical purchase [within my limited budget] I've ever made. Mine came with a slight gap between 2 of the keys [we humans tend to perceive asymmetry as best] which I have ignored mostly because its so heavy and I didn't want to not have it for any period of time having gotten addicted in about 2 minutes. It was absolutely love at first touch. I have several piano VST's but love Garritan CFX the best. I also thoroughly enjoy the variety of Pianoteq, the VPC is for me, such a joy to play. I use the K&M 18950 also, its rock-solid.

A
A
EB5AVG. Have you tried the Modern U yet? Bought it myself a few days back. I must be honest and say I thought I’d enjoy it more. I find it a bit drab. The lack of sustain in the higher register for me is disappointing. But maybe it’s because I’m used to playing large grand piano vst’s. What are your opinions?

O
O
Hi all,

Got my brand new VPC1 today. Coming from a MP7SE the key action is different but feels natural and now my fingers don't get stuck between the black keys. Very happy with my choice. I also noticed that most Pianoteq piano's sound better and have better dynamics. It opens up a new world of experiences. Will try Garritan CFX very soon, but love Pianoteq.

You only live once and that's forever.

_________
Kawai VPC1, Garritan CFX Grand, Pianoteq Pro.
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osiris
Hi all,

Got my brand new VPC1 today. Coming from a MP7SE the key action is different but feels natural and now my fingers don't get stuck between the black keys. Very happy with my choice. I also noticed that most Pianoteq piano's sound better and have better dynamics. It opens up a new world of experiences. Will try Garritan CFX very soon, but love Pianoteq.

Great!. I am having a nice time with VI Labs Modern U. I wish my playing was better!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
H
H
I too received my VPC1 today, and it seems that I am going to have to get used to the weight of the keys. My last digital was so much lighter than this.

Immediately, I could feel just how much more expressive I can be with this instrument using Garritan. Really excited for my future practice sessions!

I've got to say, I love the simple look of it and the top isn't as curved as I thought it would be, my Macbook Pro sits quite nicely on top. K&M 18950 is as sturdy as I expected.

Kawai VPC1

Currently Learning:
Originally Posted by HadesPiano
I too received my VPC1 today, and it seems that I am going to have to get used to the weight of the keys. My last digital was so much lighter than this.

Immediately, I could feel just how much more expressive I can be with this instrument using Garritan. Really excited for my future practice sessions!

I've got to say, I love the simple look of it and the top isn't as curved as I thought it would be, my Macbook Pro sits quite nicely on top. K&M 18950 is as sturdy as I expected.

I got mine this week as well, and I have to say I love the key weight - it's actually slightly heavier than my acoustic, and the technique seems to transfer very well. The pivot point is noticeable, but mostly when you're within 1 inch away from the top of the white keys (about 1/2 inch on black keys). In fact, it made me realize how during some chords/arps, I was playing unnecessarily deep into the keys, and bringing the fingers a bit lower is actual preferable on my acoustic as well for more control.

The Kawai let-off mechanism has taken some getting used to, and it's been discussed how it doesn't behave/feel exactly like an acoustic does. I had two MP11SE deals fall through before ordering this, and I have to say I'm happy they did, because I ended up saving hundreds of dollars, and it's likely I'd prefer this over the lighter GF action.

Also, I've found that using some black shelf liner folded over a few times on one end to compensate for the curved top, works well to keep a laptop securely up there.

Last edited by maul; 08/06/20 11:11 AM.
O
O
@ EB5AGV
Thanks for your response. My playing isn't that good either, but having an instrument which makes playing a joy certainly helps to improve faster.

@HadesPiano
At first I too had to get used to the weight of the keys. I noticed that after playing a couple of hours the weight is less and less an issue.

_________
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AndyE
EB5AGV. Have you tried the Modern U yet? Bought it myself a few days back. I must be honest and say I thought I’d enjoy it more. I find it a bit drab. The lack of sustain in the higher register for me is disappointing. But maybe it’s because I’m used to playing large grand piano vst’s. What are your opinions?

Sorry, missed this one. Yes, I have been playing several hours already. I found the presets not so inspiring, but the one shown previously on this thread is really amazing, so I use it by now

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by maul
Also, I've found that using some black shelf liner folded over a few times on one end to compensate for the curved top, works well to keep a laptop securely up there.

I've always used a laptop stand, the kind you can also put a projector on, and adjusted to be slightly higher than the VPC1, then just set that up directly behind the VPC1. As another option.

O
O
I'm another waiting on delivery - excited to join the crowd! After deciding that buying a keyboard based on how it sounds didn't make a lot of sense to me when you can remove that entire part of the equation - my piano teacher recommended this after being unable to resolve the p515 vs e68 dilemma... and was mostly struggling for the best key action without anything locally to test in person.

I have a laptop I can use (or two). It looks like the ravenscroft software likes a good amount of ram to run smoothly, so that would dictate what I can get away with. I have an old laptop with 6 gb ram and Intel Core i7 Q 740 - is that going to be a little too long in the tooth to run smoothly? I've even seen some really cheap deals on micro pc's with more ram these days that might be a fun fit to use for this case.

EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OzarkCDN
I'm another waiting on delivery - excited to join the crowd! After deciding that buying a keyboard based on how it sounds didn't make a lot of sense to me when you can remove that entire part of the equation - my piano teacher recommended this after being unable to resolve the p515 vs e68 dilemma... and was mostly struggling for the best key action without anything locally to test in person.

I have a laptop I can use (or two). It looks like the ravenscroft software likes a good amount of ram to run smoothly, so that would dictate what I can get away with. I have an old laptop with 6 gb ram and Intel Core i7 Q 740 - is that going to be a little too long in the tooth to run smoothly? I've even seen some really cheap deals on micro pc's with more ram these days that might be a fun fit to use for this case.

FYI I run VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 on a 4th generation i5 desktop, 16Gb RAM, with SSD and works fine. ,6Gb may be a bit low

Last edited by EB5AGV; 08/07/20 04:59 PM.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
L
L
I've been using my VPC1 for almost a year now. It's been the BEST midi controller or keyboard I've ever played on. I've played anything from real low tempo to real advance stuff, and I'm happy to say that it handles everything. There is a little lag of keys bouncing back to the original position, but once you get used to it you won't notice it. It doesn't get in the way of playing anything. Also the keys barely make any sound. I hate it with controllers make that annoying kling klung sound when pressing the keys.

This is my latest video using the VPC1. You can see how the keys spring back up to the original position. The library being used in this video is Noire by Native Instruments.

O
O
@ Leon T
Impressive piano playing and arrangement and thanks for sharing. It will take some time for me to reach this level of playing, if I ever...

The VPC1 comes close to the real thing, but isn't there yet. I suspect that the bouncing of keys is due to the triple sensing, weight of the keys and the felt under the keys, but I may be wrong.
Contactless sensing using an optical sensing method with continuous sensing will also increase velocity.
It is a mistery to me as to why Kawai has not upgraded the VPC1 to todays standards of technology.
I do however enjoy my newly bought VPC1 but I'm also aware of the improvements that could make it the best MIDI controller ever.

Last edited by Osiris; 08/09/20 03:31 AM.

_________
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What do you mean by today's standards of technology?
I thought the VPC uses the same technology as most other Kawai (and other) pianos.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Triple sensing will not change mechanical characteristics (bouncing). It is just needed in order to be allowed to repeat a note while the key is not going upward too much, then it will render the repetition faster : the key doesn’t come back faster, but can however play it again sooner.

The aim of optical sensing is to avoid a mechanical interaction. I am not sure it can make the repetition faster. Perhaps with optical sensing, we can make the sensing threshold closer to the bottom and make the repetition faster, but since optical sensors are used with a real piano action, the Repetition speed is limited by the action escapement.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
O
O
@MacMacMac
The triple sensing technology and its implementation involve parts that sooner or later need to be cleaned or replaced.
Optical sensing avoids this and velocity is greatly improved. FLK Lachnitt uses optical sensing in his controller, so it is possible.

@Frédéric L
I believe you are right about the triple sensing in regard to mechanical characteristics.
You are also right that optical sensing is mostly used with real piano action as is done with the Kaduk Respons MIDI controller. Lachnitt has managed to use optical sensing with a Fatar keybed, to me not the best.
And indeed the sensing threshold is best closer to the bottom.

_________
Optical sensing exists in some (all?) of the Avant Grands.

It eliminates one problem (dirty or worn contact sensors) but creates another (dirty optics).
Read the posts by some of the long-term AG owners.

Optical sensors do a good job, but they're expensive.
Seeing that they're only available on the most expensive pianos is a clear indication of why they're not found on the VPC.
Originally Posted by Osiris
The triple sensing technology and its implementation involve parts that sooner or later need to be cleaned or replaced.
Optical sensing avoids this and velocity is greatly improved. FLK Lachnitt uses optical sensing in his controller, so it is possible.

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NV10S/NV5S will be released on 21st
by robinlb - 05/18/21 04:13 AM
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,001
Posts3,094,783
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission