2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
I wanted to get some input from the community on a piano I purchased about a year ago.

The Piano:
* Baldwin L 6'3" Grand
* Serial #: 118331
* Built in 1952
* Real Ivory Keytops in excellent shape, especially considering the instrument's age
- I don't see any cracks in the soundboard
- No structural issues that I can find
- Action feels really good, but obviously will need some regulating

Link to pictures of the instrument

I don't have much detail on the history of the piano's life. I bought it from a young couple on facebook, who said that it was in a church prior to them getting it. I get the sense that it hasn't been heavily used, but can't say for certain. The finish looks to have been mahogany originally, but was refinished at some point in it's life. It does look lovely in my retail-space-turned-livingroom.

My Situation:
When I got it, I had just settled into my new home with plenty of space for it, and I was ready to graduate to something better than the digital I had been using for a few years. Purchase price + moving fee ended up being around $4,000.

Unfortunately, due to loosing my job in Nov. to downsizing, among other uncertainties that followed, I don't know when I'll have the means to give it the TLC to bring it up to spec, or the proper space for it to live in, as I will likely end up moving.

So the questions I have are:
a) Is it reasonable to try to recover the $4,000 I have in it, or what is a reasonable asking price?
b) What is the best avenue to potentially sell it? Local piano stores, technicians, craigslist, facebook, etc...
c) Are these Baldwins good candidates for restoration?

I realize that I will need to get a technician to do an accurate appraisal, just wanting to get some general input.

Thanks in advance!

Current gear: Roland FP-90, Dexibell Vivo S1, Pianoteq 6 Pro
Retired gear: Yamaha CVP203, Roland RD700SX
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ivorytux
a) Is it reasonable to try to recover the $4,000 I have in it, or what is a reasonable asking price?
b) What is the best avenue to potentially sell it? Local piano stores, technicians, craigslist, facebook, etc...

Yes. If that fails, reduce the price till it sells.

All of the above. CL and FB are free. Piano World has a classified ad section for pianos, but there is small fee. Also Piano Mart is good, but a small fee.

It depends on who you ask, but I'd say yes, in my opinion.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstances. But things will get better in time...

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'd suggest getting it cleaned (internally) and tuned, and then advertise it as a freshly tuned Baldwin L Artist Grand for $4k. Consider getting a short written statement of condition from the technician, and use it if it's a positive report. I think getting after the hammer reshaping and regulation it obviously needs, would be not worth the investment in this situation (although it would certainly improve the touch and tone). Drop the price gradually based on how quickly you have to get it sold.

In addition to the list of places Rick mentioned, I'd contact local teachers or the local music teachers association, if there is one, with a short email ad. There are many people wanting to step up to a low priced grand piano.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Are you certain you can't afford to keep it, ivory? Or can you maybe park this Baldwin somewhere - like a church - for a few years while you get back on your feet? Selling an old piano is a lot of work and a lot of time and a lot of frustration. My guess is that you'll be lucky to get a couple of offers in the $1200 range and this might take you a year of trying, esp. if you go the Craig's List and Facebook ad route. That doesn't mean your instrument isn't worth the $4000 you paid for it to someone, just that selling used pianos is a tough slog even for professionals. And that's before you even consider the current US economy and the virus shutdown.

I don't disagree with the suggestions of Rick and terminal, and do wish you luck, but I also warn you that there are better ways to spend your time than trying to sell a needs-work, Harry Truman-era Baldwin grand privately. You might explore giving it to a piano retailer on consignment.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Or can you maybe park this Baldwin somewhere - like a church - for a few years while you get back on your feet?
Yes that's a great idea. When I was looking to buy a piano, I'd have jumped at the chance to be the caretaker for someone's piano for a year or two. It would have given me more experience to decide what I wanted and more time to make the decision. I'd have been willing to pay the moving charges in exchange for knowing I could keep it a minimum of 12 months, or some amount of time that made the cost of moving worth it.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
I
OP Offline
I
Everyone, thanks for your input and encouragement. I'm gonna try to hang on to it for a bit longer, at least until I have a definite answer as to whether or not I'm moving, and if yes, whether the new place will have space for it.

Thanks again!

Current gear: Roland FP-90, Dexibell Vivo S1, Pianoteq 6 Pro
Retired gear: Yamaha CVP203, Roland RD700SX
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
if yes, whether the new place will have space for it. !

Sure, the Baldwin will fit. Buy a futon and sleep underneath the grand - cosy.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 08/08/20 12:01 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Just don't get up suddenly in the middle of the night!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
K
K
And make sure the legs are attached securely! When I was young, I user to play under the piano as a hideout, but now that I’ve read about accidents involving loose legs I’m quite paranoid... even if it’s a joke.

Apprentice Piano Technician
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I knew a pianist from Tokyo who did exactly this with his C3.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission