2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (ambrozy, BravoRomeo, b4xter, An Old Square, btcomm, 36251, allegrettoforte, bobrunyan, 17 invisible), 1,275 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 75 of 99 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 98 99
T
T
Originally Posted by Sebs
Originally Posted by treefrog
I’m a bit stuck on the exercise for G Major chords with 4 note V7.

I couldn’t find much info online for 4 note V7 chords and it doesn’t seem to be mentioned at all on the chords site that I use.

It’s basically the left hand that is the problem. The fingering that they show is

V = 1 4 5
V7 = 1 2 4 5

My chord book shows 1 3 5 for V which feels a lot more comfortable but makes the V7 a lot more difficult. I’m wondering if the V chord fingering changes depending on whether you are playing a 3 note or 4 note V7.

Is the fingering in PM actually correct?

I don’t mind learning it whichever it is, but I want to start off on the right foot.

Thanks in advance for any help that somebody can give me.

I second what @stevencarr says. I have had plenty of cases where I find my own fingerings that are more comfortable but more often than not publishers and PM have pretty solid fingering suggestions. Also when playing music keep in my mind some fingerings might seem odd but it's to position you for something coming next or because of certain rhythms, etc.

Your advice and @stevencarr is good enough for me.

I’ve already started practicing the transition between I and V using 1 2 4 5 and although it’s very unnatural at the moment, it’s getting better and I now know that I’m going in the right direction.

Thanks.

Last edited by treefrog; 08/02/20 05:01 PM.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
H
H
I never looked up the ratings in the store as I use the pc exclusively. As far as I can tell, Piano Marvel doesn't advertise as much as the others. I always take anonymous online ratings with many grains of salt.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
T
T
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf
I never looked up the ratings in the store as I use the pc exclusively. As far as I can tell, Piano Marvel doesn't advertise as much as the others. I always take anonymous online ratings with many grains of salt.

So do I but usually there’s a couple of good ones to even up the balance.

J
J
I'm new to PM (just signed up yesterday), and I've a few questions that I was hoping some of you could help answer:

1. On SASR, what's the significance of 3 strikes? Will PM stop you from taking the test after 3 strikes for a certain period of time?

2. How many times is it recommended to take SASR? On day one alone I took it maybe 10 times (I'm a beginner so I'm struggling to hit 200).

3. What's the difference between Prepare and Practice mode? I use PM on an iPad. And I can't get Practice Mode to work. It pops up a screen showing different sections of the exercise, but then there is no "play/activate" button. So I end up using Prepare mode and adjusting the tempo.

4. I see several users talking about the songs that they are tackling. Are we supposed to pick songs from the library and practice in parallel after we complete a certain level in Method/Technique?

5. I noticed that the songs in the library go from Level 1 to Level 18. But the Methods and Technique only go to Level 6. I just finished 1A and 1B for Method and Technique and I'm unclear as to what level song am I supposed to pick.

6. What's the significance of the Flash card exercise (I think it's in Technique). I found it rather easy compared to the rest of the material.

It's just been 24 hours, but it's long enough for me to realize how addictive PM can be (I didn't even touch my Method book yesterday). I also quickly realized that if one is not careful it's easy to pick up bad habits (such as playing PM like a video game and ignoring technique/posture/dynamics).

T
T
The level numbers in the store I believe are piano grades so as a example, I believe it takes about a year to go up one grade.
The levels in PM are their own and are not connected to grades.

I’ve barely touched the library so far as I’ve spent most of my time in Method and technique. That is however about to change as the exercises are now at a level which will take days rather than hours to complete. For instance I’m currently on an exercise that require some chord progressions which I'm finding quite alien.
I could probably complete it in a couple of hours but I don’t believe that I would achieve anything from that. I need to train my hands to feel comfortable doing these chords which will take many 5 minute sessions over several days. I will therefore be exploring the store to find something extra to practice.

I use an iPad and have had no problems with the 'Practice mode'. You may actually be in practice mode without realising as there is no difference in the screen other than 'Practice mode' in the top right hand corner (which is easy to miss). To be honest, I rarely use. The only time that I do use it is if I want to do an 'Access' of the whole piece at a slower speed and then gradually increase the speed.

S
S
Level 3 Method and Technique is certainly not grade 3 ABRSM or RCM. The level numbers in PM are unique to PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JM77
I'm new to PM (just signed up yesterday), and I've a few questions that I was hoping some of you could help answer:

1. On SASR, what's the significance of 3 strikes? Will PM stop you from taking the test after 3 strikes for a certain period of time?
The strikes measure your level and keep you from going on and aimlessly playing too far ahead. Such as if you strike 3x at level 4A no point to just keep doing them over and over while only getting 5%. At the same time there's also no point to just keep giving you ones you can pass like level 3A. You can retake as many times as you like no penalty/timeout. I usually take it 2x in a row. However, you will eventually learn some of pieces them and it won't be sight reading on an occasion but theres so many pieces it throws at you that change all the time. It's really fun!

2. How many times is it recommended to take SASR? On day one alone I took it maybe 10 times (I'm a beginner so I'm struggling to hit 200).
Theres no recommendation. I usually take it 2x in a row. Right now Im doing it 1-2x daily for 30 days after that I plan to only take it weekly, then monthly. I'd probably spend no more than 30min daily on SASR. But if you find it fun and spend hours on it that's fine too as in a month you might find it dull. I like to really rack up time on things I love as it changes.

3. What's the difference between Prepare and Practice mode? I use PM on an iPad. And I can't get Practice Mode to work. It pops up a screen showing different sections of the exercise, but then there is no "play/activate" button. So I end up using Prepare mode and adjusting the tempo.
Make sure you select "Whole, Sliced, Minced" then click on the star of the level you want to work on. Such as "RH 1-4 40bpm" Practice will not grade its to figure your fingers, etc. I dont like practice mode much but it's good if you want to make sure you're hitting the correct notes.

4. I see several users talking about the songs that they are tackling. Are we supposed to pick songs from the library and practice in parallel after we complete a certain level in Method/Technique?
You don't have to but it's fun to pick a song you want to learn. They have a great library of all levels. However, Method will still have musical pieces or small excerpts of them.

5. I noticed that the songs in the library go from Level 1 to Level 18. But the Methods and Technique only go to Level 6. I just finished 1A and 1B for Method and Technique and I'm unclear as to what level song am I supposed to pick.
It's just how piano Marvel measures them. I would suggest try out some at level 1-3. Keep in mind some pieces may naturally come easier for you and some harder even if same level. Use it as a general guide but maybe there's a level 4 song you really want to try go for it and if way to tough put it aside.

6. What's the significance of the Flash card exercise (I think it's in Technique). I found it rather easy compared to the rest of the material.
It's to help you quickly recognize patterns and play them. Thats great if you found them easy maybe you see/learn patterns quickly and naturally. Nice work!

It's just been 24 hours, but it's long enough for me to realize how addictive PM can be (I didn't even touch my Method book yesterday). I also quickly realized that if one is not careful it's easy to pick up bad habits (such as playing PM like a video game and ignoring technique/posture/dynamics).
Yup! I would even suggest using some paper scores (can still be on ipad) but where you have nothing grading you and you'll count out loud, etc. Glad to hear you're having fun already, keep it going!

Last edited by Sebs; 08/03/20 09:20 AM.
T
T
@JM77

I remember in another thread that you asked how long to spend on a piece and gave an example of Jingle Bells.

Your Alfred's Book is in the library so you can now play it in 'Access' mode and see the level of playing that PM expects.

J
J

The strikes measure your level and keep you from going on and aimlessly playing too far ahead. Such as if you strike 3x at level 4A no point to just keep doing them over and over while only getting 5%. At the same time there's also no point to just keep giving you ones you can pass like level 3A. You can retake as many times as you like no penalty/timeout. I usually take it 2x in a row. However, you will eventually learn some of pieces them and it won't be sight reading on an occasion but theres so many pieces it throws at you that change all the time. It's really fun!

Theres no recommendation. I usually take it 2x in a row. Right now Im doing it 1-2x daily for 30 days after that I plan to only take it weekly, then monthly. I'd probably spend no more than 30min daily on SASR. But if you find it fun and spend hours on it that's fine too as in a month you might find it dull. I like to really rack up time on things I love as it changes.

Make sure you select "Whole, Sliced, Minced" then click on the star of the level you want to work on. Such as "RH 1-4 40bpm" Practice will not grade its to figure your fingers, etc. I dont like practice mode much but it's good if you want to make sure you're hitting the correct notes.

You don't have to but it's fun to pick a song you want to learn. They have a great library of all levels. However, Method will still have musical pieces or small excerpts of them.

It's just how piano Marvel measures them. I would suggest try out some at level 1-3. Keep in mind some pieces may naturally come easier for you and some harder even if same level. Use it as a general guide but maybe there's a level 4 song you really want to try go for it and if way to tough put it aside.

It's to help you quickly recognize patterns and play them. Thats great if you found them easy maybe you see/learn patterns quickly and naturally. Nice work!

Yup! I would even suggest using some paper scores (can still be on ipad) but where you have nothing grading you and you'll count out loud, etc. Glad to hear you're having fun already, keep it going!

Thanks for patiently answering all questions. Much appreciated!

J
J
@JM77

I remember in another thread that you asked how long to spend on a piece and gave an example of Jingle Bells.

Your Alfred's Book is in the library so you can now play it in 'Access' mode and see the level of playing that PM expects.

That's a great idea Treefrog. Thanks!

T
T
@JM77

That's a great idea Treefrog. Thanks!

I tried it myself. It’s tricky smile

Last edited by treefrog; 08/03/20 10:37 AM.

A
A
Grouse, grouse, grumble...

Low Bridge, everybody BLAH!
Low Bridge, I KNOW I played those 8th notes...!

Korg SP-170
Czerny Op. 599 to get my fingers moving again...
T
T
Originally Posted by AmyKaye

I want to understand what you're saying but I have to admit that I don’t.

Saying that, I feel your pain laugh

A
A

Oh, I’m just complaining about “Low Bridge” in level 3B...
I actually softened the key settings from heavy to standard and I still can’t get past a 99...either I’m not hitting all the 8th notes separately or the program is not picking it up...putting it away until tomorrow.

This said, I am grateful to have this PM program...there’s a lot I’m going back over in Alfred’s book 1 that I glossed over...

Korg SP-170
T
T

Oh, I’m just complaining about “Low Bridge” in level 3B...
I actually softened the key settings from heavy to standard and I still can’t get past a 99...either I’m not hitting all the 8th notes separately or the program is not picking it up...putting it away until tomorrow.

This said, I am grateful to have this PM program...there’s a lot I’m going back over in Alfred’s book 1 that I glossed over...

I just looked it up.

Ah, yes, I remember it well. I seem to remember blaming PM myself but soon realised that it was me.
I think in my case it was the tied notes where I was slipping up. My fingers wanted to do something different to what was written. They’d decided that it should be played a different way smile

It’s a great exercise for timing. It’s got just about every note type in it. But it is very tricky.

Good luck.

T
T
I've got the 'Low Bridge' tune stuck in my head now smile

I remember where my problem was.

Bar 34. My mind kept getting creative and wanted to add an extra note.

A
A
Thanks for the encouragement, treefrog!!

I did it. I conquered “Low Bridge”. I lowered the practice tempo to 120, then worked my way up to 130...worked on it with the light key setting, decided that was too loose, put the keys on standard... laugh

If there’s one good thing to come from the COVID-19 situation, it’s the fact that I now practice nearly DAILY. I hear some improvement. I make myself go back through older songs (esp. from Alfred book 1)...whew!!

Korg SP-170
J
J
Has anyone encountered a timing bug with Piano Marvel? I'm on 2A and I'm stuck on the very first chord (C-G) on Hush Little Baby. As in, 9 out of 10 times it shows that I'm off (that I'm playing it too early). And I just can't believe the software since my eyes/ears suggest that things are in harmony. I intentionally tried to play it late, and of course it then suggests that I'm playing it late. Ugh!!

Yes, I may be making a mistake once in a while. But then it can't be that difficult - it's the very first note of the song and it says my timing is off 90% of the time. I've tried it like 30 times and it keeps telling me I'm off. Very frustrating!! (I tried both the slow and fast version and I can't get the first note/chord right). If this is the situation with 2A, I can't imagine how is it going to be in more advanced levels....

I really hope that this is a software bug and not a fundamental timing issue on my part - pressing C and G at the same time CAN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT!. My OCD won't let me move on to the next lesson till I get a 100% score..... mad

Any suggestions? Maybe I should just move on to the next lesson...

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Has anyone encountered a timing bug with Piano Marvel? I'm on 2A and I'm stuck on the very first chord (C-G) on Hush Little Baby. As in, 9 out of 10 times it shows that I'm off (that I'm playing it too early). And I just can't believe the software since my eyes/ears suggest that things are in harmony. I intentionally tried to play it late, and of course it then suggests that I'm playing it late. Ugh!!

Yes, I may be making a mistake once in a while. But then it can't be that difficult - it's the very first note of the song and it says my timing is off 90% of the time. I've tried it like 30 times and it keeps telling me I'm off. Very frustrating!! (I tried both the slow and fast version and I can't get the first note/chord right). If this is the situation with 2A, I can't imagine how is it going to be in more advanced levels....

I really hope that this is a software bug and not a fundamental timing issue on my part - pressing C and G at the same time CAN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT!. My OCD won't let me move on to the next lesson till I get a 100% score..... mad

Any suggestions? Maybe I should just move on to the next lesson...

Are you only have the issue with the first note in the start of the song? I often noticed the timing on first note/chord to be tricky. Maybe close restart the program and reconnect your cable too. The software can have some occasional hiccups for sure.

J
J
Are you only have the issue with the first note in the start of the song? I often noticed the timing on first note/chord to be tricky. Maybe close restart the program and reconnect your cable too. The software can have some occasional hiccups for sure.

That fixed it! Thank you Sebs - you saved me a ton of frustration

Page 75 of 99 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 98 99

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HP704 vs FP90X vs CLP735/745
by SharpPencil - 11/28/21 09:46 AM
How to make jumps without looking at keys
by GreenCheck - 11/28/21 09:41 AM
Keyboard for practice
by lbuizza - 11/28/21 09:12 AM
removing dust from bridge using piano string,
by Maximillyan - 11/28/21 05:51 AM
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,286
Posts3,149,304
Members103,452
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission