2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (Bellicapelli, AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, An Old Square, brdwyguy, Anglagard44, Animisha, 22 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 522 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 8, II. Adagio Cantabile

Some more Beethoven to celebrate his 250th Anniversary in 2020.

I learnt this movement all the way back in my teenage years, and I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. On some days I would adore it and yet on others it becomes pure tedium. I love the main theme, however the accompaniment is written in a way that makes it so easy to render this melody dry and mechanical, especially when played at a slow pace. It is also difficult to achieve finger-independent voicing to bring out the singing line (You can see how I had to edit together multiple takes).

It was a couple of years ago that I experimented playing in a way that brings out some inner melodies within the score. For example at 2:10 I bring out the bass voice. And at 3:37 I bring out the tenor voice. Again, somewhat 'sacrilegious' to Beethoven, perhaps. But, oh, it resonates with me! I'm curious as to what you all think?

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thank you for posting this. I just learned this and wonder why Beethoven cluttered the score with so many accidentals instead of just changing the key.

W
WTM Offline
W
Hi Pika,

I must say I love the tone of your piano, it’s so mellow, but not so much as to be muddy. Can I ask what setup you use for audio recording?

On the performance, my judgement is coloured because this is probably the piece of classical music I’ve listened to the most. And to one specific performance, Horowitz’s version. And as such anything novel, and I think your performance is novel, sounds odd to me. Please do not mistake this for criticism; I found your take interesting and charming. And it is very obvious to me that you have full control over how you want it to sound, and I don’t doubt you could make it sound very ‘vanilla’ if you so chose. And to me that shows that you truly have mastered this piece. Bravo.

Last edited by WTM; 09/05/20 06:07 PM.

Bechstein A114
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
OP Offline
Originally Posted by WTM
Hi Pika,

I must say I love the tone of your piano, it’s so mellow, but not so much as to be muddy. Can I ask what setup you use for audio recording?

On the performance, my judgement is coloured because this is probably the piece of classical music I’ve listened to the most. And to one specific performance, Horowitz’s version. And as such anything novel, and I think your performance is novel, sounds odd to me. Please do not mistake this for criticism; I found your take interesting and charming. And it is very obvious to me that you have full control over how you want it to sound, and I don’t doubt you could make it sound very ‘vanilla’ if you so chose. And to me that shows that you truly have mastered this piece. Bravo.

Thank you! I too enjoy the tone of my Estonia L210. Although, the recorded tone sounds very different to the real life tone. You can hear a lot more of the harmonics in real life. I guess, in order to capture that, I would need some pro equipment and multiple microphones. I only use a Zoom H5, placed about a foot away and above the piano rim, at around the concave rim portion. My living room sounds a bit dry, so I touch up the recording with a little hint of reverb.

I enjoy playing music in a way that resonates with me. Or, the old cliche: "playing from the heart". I am easily bored by any 'vanilla' recordings or artists who 'play it safe'. I adore uniqueness and 'oddities'. It's why I love pianists like Horowitz, Gould, and Lang Lang so much.

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan
W
W
The piano indeed has a beautiful tone, and I would be very curious how it turned out in real life. I recalled a different sound in my limited experiences with the Estonia - more overtones as you mentioned.
I enjoyed the way you brought out the inner voices, even though I probably would not do it myself - at least not to the same extent. Like you, I am more concerned about playing in a way that speaks to me, rather than being "correct" in following the score to a fault. So I enjoy and encourage experimentation - within sensible limits of course, thoiugh admittedly what these limits are is highly subjective and matter of debate.

Nice job!

Sauter Delta 185, Bosendorfer 225, Ibach F III 215

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key action for newbie?
by PDXguy - 11/29/21 01:19 PM
No sound from Clavinova CVP-700
by preston5690 - 11/29/21 12:27 PM
Kawai 7'-4" rebuild
by Rolland R - 11/29/21 11:12 AM
Plugging monitor speakers to a RD2000
by Checo de la Cueva - 11/29/21 10:00 AM
Conducters counting time
by Tatum125s - 11/29/21 03:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,302
Posts3,149,553
Members103,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission