2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (CyberGene, DPAfficionado, AlphaBravoCharlie, David B, djvu10, FloRi89, Evgeny 85, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 795 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
I also love that he dedicates his recordings to Clara Haskil, an inspiration he has often mentioned in other interviews and in his words one of the greatest interpreters of Scarlatti.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jon: A couple of curiosity questions:

-- Along the way, did you sort of 'stop' to work up any of them, or did you just keep plowing through? (or "ploughing," dunno which is the correct word or if there's any difference between them or if the second one is even really a word) grin

-- There's a thing that happens to me whenever I turn the page to whichever one of these and see that it's one that starts with a fugal or quasi-fugal or canonic thing, that my immediate reaction is two things, which combine into a feeling of "oh no, not one of these": grin ....it's going to be kind of academic rather than playful or beautiful; and it's going to be really hard to sight-read and make any sense of. (The first thing is generally wrong, but the second one is generally right.) Just wondering if you similarly had that same mind-reflex when you'd get to those.

L
L
This is a great thread.

I'm actually doing a similar thing using the IMSLP app. Playing all the Scarlatti sonatas in the order presented (which is alphabetical by key). I'm onto the final sonata in A major. Play between one and ten a day, depending on how I feel and how much time I have.

Why? To improve my sight reading and to get a better feel for his style. I'm learning K551 with the future possibility of playing it as part of a Cert. of Performance (AMEB) exam.

I was a little concerned that my sight reading would be a little lop sided, so I've added Mozart to my sight reading regime. Playing through the Henle edition of all his sonatas, one or two a day.

Last edited by L'Orfeo; 07/21/20 03:16 AM.

Kawai K300
Returning to piano practice after a long break
jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Jon: A couple of curiosity questions:

-- Along the way, did you sort of 'stop' to work up any of them, or did you just keep plowing through? (or "ploughing," dunno which is the correct word or if there's any difference between them or if the second one is even really a word) grin

-- There's a thing that happens to me whenever I turn the page to whichever one of these and see that it's one that starts with a fugal or quasi-fugal or canonic thing, that my immediate reaction is two things, which combine into a feeling of "oh no, not one of these": grin ....it's going to be kind of academic rather than playful or beautiful; and it's going to be really hard to sight-read and make any sense of. (The first thing is generally wrong, but the second one is generally right.) Just wondering if you similarly had that same mind-reflex when you'd get to those.

I was tempted but I never did. The closest I got was when I read through one I had previously played. That happened with K87, for example, which was under my fingers maybe 10 years ago. I read through it and decided to spend some time on it.

I will say there were plenty of these which I didn't make too much sense out of because I basically read them all at adagio. But I got pretty good at reading and hearing Scarlatti, so I could get an idea of the piece even playing it slowly. Occasionally I would seek a recording of one after I read it and liked it, and usually found myself disappointed at how fast it was being played. lol

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by L'Orfeo
I was a little concerned that my sight reading would be a little lop sided, so I've added Mozart to my sight reading regime. Playing through the Henle edition of all his sonatas, one or two a day.

Yeah, I was afraid that instead of getting good at sight reading I'd get great at sight reading Scarlatti.

So I'm definitely going to change it up now. Been thinking about the Sibelius recommendation from earlier in the thread.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,053
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission