2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mac, I was just hypothesizing. Maybe there'a another huge leap they will soon make. I was responding to anticipation for a new version: it may happen, it might not happen soon. We don't know. And I suggested a reason for why it may be delayed. And I may be wrong. I actually hope I am wrong smile If the resonances, playability and small footprint of the Pianoteq were put together with a timbre realism that finally reached that of sampled pianos, that would be great and I would be happy smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/23/20 12:44 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
K
K
When it comes to sound quality, as others have written before, Pianoteq is good enough and I don't think there is other modeling that comes close. If it was my decision I would probably opt to entering related markets with my key technology or extend my product platform to other devices.

The last expansion we saw in terms of product strategy was into neighboring markets, i.e. organteq.
Maybe pianoteq is on the back-burner for now and they are moving into other areas because pianoteq is doing well enough.

I suspect with a computation engine that can efficiently do all the harmonics stuff there's a lot you can achieve, in particular in areas where samples have severe limitations due to the complex "input nature", i.e. where you have 2 or more continuous parameters. I'm thinking violin and so on...

Maybe they're also in the process of quietly being bought by a major piano manufacturer to use their technology for their silent piano models. Modartt is not a large company.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So whuzzup with that? Have my ears changed radically?

You'd need to provide before and after pics

Then I realized that I had not shut down Kontakt. I was playing the Vintage D alongside of Pianoteq.
So I shut off Kontakt ... and then the Bechstein sounded like the usual Pianoteq disappointment.

Did that work the other way around i.e., did Pianoteq improve the Vintage D in any way?

To Vlad's point: Yes, it needs improvement.
To CyberGene's point: "... I think their current algorithms/approach has reached its full potential. If another improvement is sought, new algorithm should be implemented ..."
So I'm not anticipating much in Pianoteq 7.

Pianoteq evolution is like a child growing up: if you live with it, you notice changes but only if you study photo's taken over time.
I you listen to Pianoteq 3 vs the latest version, then ask yourself: is Pianoteq likely to have improved a lot 10 years from now ...

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I started liking Pianoteq when version 4 came out. Perfect no but I said it is slowly getting there.
With version 6 it is getting closer but yes the sampled libraries I like better for recording. But for just playing I love the way Pianoteq responds. I'm hoping Pinaoteq 7 and beyond keeps improving. Will it ever surpass gigabyte libraries maybe not.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
In practical terms, it has already surpassed gigabyte libraries!

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
So true Pete14. I love the fast loading of Pianoteq.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
G
G
Yeah Pianoteq still has a long way to go until its sound is on par with sampled pianos, IMHO.
That they won't adher to their past schedule could be a possible effect of the COVID pandemic. This year has been crazy for a lot of people. I wouldn't expect anyone to act in line with any expectation that you have towards them based on their past behavior.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I still can’t wrap my head around needing almost 300GB for one piano (I’m looking at you, VSL) in the age of shrinkage: small is the new large!

...not to mention the RAM and CPU resources, one needs a super-computer to run these beasts, yet my good ol’ ‘teq runs on a 1950s Casio calculator! wink

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
It wouldn't even surprise me if some companies don't even think about shrinking their libraries as "300gb of samples!!" sounds impressive so it might actually be a selling point.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
But Pete, you have it backwards. Bigger is better!

Also ... please post pictures of your 1950s Casio calculator.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
blush

K
K
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Lol, Pianoteq 7 will be the first VST sent into space laugh

Instead of a car, it will be a CA99 (or DG30?? haha) with a dummy and Pete14's 1950s Casio calculator running Pianoteq!

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
It probably won't be Modarrt providing this, but my guess is this sort of technology will come, prevail, and destroy. And all shall love it, and despair.

QuasiUnaFantasia, this has to be my most favorite quote of the month!!!!!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
Into space? No, to the curb. I kicked Pianoteq to the curb long ago.
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Pianoteq 7 will be the first VST sent into space.

F
F
Got so many sampled piano libraries but Pianoteq easily prevails smile

R
R
In my experience, PTQ doesn't really sound like an acoustic piano, but it makes my DP more like an instrument. wink

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
K
K
Originally Posted by Pete14
I still can’t wrap my head around needing almost 300GB for one piano (I’m looking at you, VSL) in the age of shrinkage: small is the new large!

...not to mention the RAM and CPU resources, one needs a super-computer to run these beasts, yet my good ol’ ‘teq runs on a 1950s Casio calculator! wink

My VSL Vienna Imperial (light) installation was ~130GB I think while my ivory II italian grand installation is about 28GB. That's about 4.5 times as much space. As it happens this is about the factor that SSDs became cheaper between 2012(?), when ivory II was released.

So even the full library is comparatively only twice as outrageously large as ivory II was back then. If you compare how they sound and feel I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've noticed there's a pattern on this forum, when you expect some product is going to be renewed because it is 2 or 3 years since it came out. And you build a lot of anticipation and expectations, that most of the times drives you into disappointment when the new model comes, because the improvements are minimal. So i ask myself wheter lines and products should be actualized every 2 or 3 years to always meet the needs for novelty on the costumer side, or when they actually are able to introduce a solid serious big improvement in their products, even if it takes 2, 3, 5 or 10 years to achieve.

It is also funny how on the accoustic piano side the approach is so different. Take as an example yamaha u line. The same denomination for 60 years. With improvements over the years of course. But no need to show off them every 2 or 3 years. But when they introduce the silent systems, there it is again the need for new names every few years, silent1, silent2, etc.

Maybe it is something related to electronic products in general, we look at them as a modern technology that only makes sense to buy if it is in constant evolution

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@Ubu : electronic technology evolved at a quick pace. It is logical to expect it to be included in our DP.

An example is the display. It is hard to understand why a $30 smartphone has a nice color display and a $7000 N1X a little 3 digits LED display.

The memory is also cheaper and cheaper, but increased size samples is not always in the specs (perhaps the new CLP700 lines has an increased memory used for samples, but we don’t know). We already have some unlooped samples (Gewa, Krome, Kronos)... why not in other recent DP ?

But, if I recall the CLP700 thread, I don’t understand some expectations. We have a DP which is still a DP... there was some important innovation (key acceleration measure to control the phrasing)... but some wanted something else... but what ? (making the coffee ?).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ubu
I've noticed there's a pattern on this forum, when you expect some product is going to be renewed because it is 2 or 3 years since it came out. And you build a lot of anticipation and expectations, that most of the times drives you into disappointment when the new model comes, because the improvements are minimal. So i ask myself wheter lines and products should be actualized every 2 or 3 years to always meet the needs for novelty on the costumer side, or when they actually are able to introduce a solid serious big improvement in their products, even if it takes 2, 3, 5 or 10 years to achieve.

It is also funny how on the accoustic piano side the approach is so different. Take as an example yamaha u line. The same denomination for 60 years. With improvements over the years of course. But no need to show off them every 2 or 3 years. But when they introduce the silent systems, there it is again the need for new names every few years, silent1, silent2, etc.

Maybe it is something related to electronic products in general, we look at them as a modern technology that only makes sense to buy if it is in constant evolution

I doubt there is a single user here who isn't willing on Pianoteq to address all the points that extensive previous post contributions made by Cybergene and evolve or revolve into a next gen modeled piano capable of competing with the best sampled libraries.

The reality for Pianoteq is that you can't make much money selling only one product e.g., a Steinway D in the VST market. You've got to have lots of pianos to sell on the market in order to fund R&D better.
Also, in expanding their repertoire of instruments, they're having to learn more about modelling in a way that they probably wouldn't if just focusing on improving one model to make it evolve faster.
So perhaps we are inwardly resigned to expect only minor evolutions in the main Pianoteq models (similar to improvements in sampling) with a turn around time of 2-4 years. That's my read: willing them on to do great things, but mindful of the fact that they've now got a large number of models to improve and a business model which does not focus on one model alone.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
it is alway good to have the choice, which VST piano i want to play.

Pianoteq feels like an instrument, makes never any kind of problems,
boots immediately, has no dongle and has a continous developping
process.

I dont´t like the hiss in garritan.
VSL Boesendorfer is amazing , has a dongle and used to much CPU,Space etc.
Ivory American D is the best on Ipad.

But i am sure, i will keep forever Pianoteq. 😀

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission