2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
https://youtu.be/ZOvR4Nm_uZo

Please forgive my absolutely n00b-vete.

Is this the CFX? And what would be the rationale (if any) for using a Yahama in this case when you have 2 Steinway grand pianos at the back?

Assuming they work perfectly, is there a reason for this? Music is better? Again, sorry for being this n00b.

Yamaha P-515
Kawai K-300
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
In high-end international competitions, there is usually more than one piano available of different manufacture so that the performers can choose the piano that best suits their taste and the music they intend to play.

It's not a case of "better." Pianos are very individual in their touch and tone, and different pianists, being individuals, have different tastes and preferences.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
C
It's not THAT unusual for a pianist to prefer a Yamaha over a Steinway. Even at some of the top concert halls you'll see a Yamaha pop up every now and then. For example, Andre Watts used a Yamaha with the New York Philharmonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rW6Ggk9ofU

I've also seen a Yamaha used for chamber music at the NYP. It just comes down to preference of the artist.

[Linked Image]
C
C
By the way, yes, I do think that's a CFX based on the acute angle at the corner.

See this video on how you can tell the difference between a CFX and other Yamaha concert grands. He also makes some interesting points about why Yamahas are often preferred by concert pianists. The notion that Yamaha is preferred by jazz artists and Steinway is always preferred for classical is an over-generalization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wESTwIyu3DY&t=688s

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
With a million dollars plus of pianos sitting there, could they not afford to have a few extra benches on hand so they could be set up off stage and have it brought on ready to go?

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Chrispy
With a million dollars plus of pianos sitting there, could they not afford to have a few extra benches on hand so they could be set up off stage and have it brought on ready to go?

There were already two other benches on stage; one at the Fazioli (on the right as the performer came) in and one on the extreme left (Steinway, maybe?), both tucked neatly under the keyboard of each instrument. With stage hands ready to move pianos surely they would also be placing benches at the pianos to be used by the performers.

What makes you think that the venue doesn't have more benches, although three on stage should be sufficient for one solo pianist at a time, don't you think?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
Is this the CFX? And what would be the rationale (if any) for using a Yahama in this case when you have 2 Steinway grand pianos at the back?

The Yamaha CFX is one of the the finest pianos in the world. Listen to how it sounds.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
What makes you think that the venue doesn't have more benches ... And how do you "set up" benches off stage?

Because she spent a full minute adjusting her bench at the beginning before playing. Why not adjust the bench prior to the performance and just have it brought on stage already adjusted? It seems odd to have to stare at such a world class performer while she awkwardly adjusts the bench when it seems like there is a simple solution to avoid the need for it.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Because she spent a full minute adjusting her bench at the beginning before playing. Why not adjust the bench prior to the performance and just have it brought on stage already adjusted? It seems odd to have to stare at such a world class performer while she awkwardly adjusts the bench when it seems like there is a simple solution to avoid the need for it.

I am NOT a professional concert pianist, but I have been in a position where I sit down at a piano and just feel uncomfortable, even if I have already sat at the same piano recently. I do not have a "set height" that I sit at.

In this case, the artist was likely following another player who liked a different height, I think. Even so, some pianists sit differently depending on the piece, and sometimes depending on the particular piano. It is a very personal thing that is not a "set height" for anyone I know.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I am NOT a professional concert pianist, but I have been in a position where I sit down at a piano and just feel uncomfortable, even if I have already sat at the same piano recently. I do not have a "set height" that I sit at.

In this case, the artist was likely following another player who liked a different height, I think. Even so, some pianists sit differently depending on the piece, and sometimes depending on the particular piano. It is a very personal thing that is not a "set height" for anyone I know.

My teacher has also suggested that the bench height adjustments, the movement of the bench closer to and further away for the piano, the pulling out the handkerchief are ways for the concert pianist to take a few minutes to calm anxiety before playing. Thoughts?

Online Content
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid

The Yamaha CFX is one of the the finest pianos in the world. Listen to how it sounds.
And its action is also very good according to one professional I asked.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Since the CFX lists for $180,000 (MSRP and SMP), it better doggone well be one of the finest pianos in the world. grin

Last edited by Carey; 07/16/20 06:28 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission