2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 116 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 115 116
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Almaviva
no changes at all to the action
Arguably the most important information. That's going to be a real bummer.

R
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I speak a little Chinese. I think she said that the new 700-series has new and improved chrome trim, shoulder pads, whitewall tires, and a pair of his-and-her cup holders.

I like to visit PW, one of the important reasons is that I can often see your wonderful comments, Mac laugh

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Other than that, the CLP685 and CLP785 are pretty much identical; no changes at all to the action, pedals and sound system.

According to the Yamaha site (which is not clear) and the MIDI implementation chart, the new sound system system is sensitive to the key acceleration.

Note : the lecture http://www.speech.kth.se/prod/publications/files/qpsr/1991/1991_32_4_019-034.pdf has a conclusion about the difference of timbre between a staccato and a legato. Then it makes sense to measure velocity AND acceleration.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So not much changes. As expected.

The addition of four more samples could be good. But ...

If they added more sample memory for the new voices, I'd rather they skipped the voices, and instead used the memory for improving the two existing voices.

If they did not add more sample memory to accommodate the new voices ... frown

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I wouldn’t trust what the dealer told a customer who recently bought a CLP-685 from his store smile First, the new pianos are not yet at most dealers and dealers rarely know anything besides the brochure information. And second, of course the dealer will say “I didn’t sell you an inferior piano”. Let’s see how the dealer will advertise the CLP-785 to a person who’s there in the store and chooses between it and a used CLP-685 on the Internet 😁

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/15/20 04:25 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
K
K
Yes it's completely true and added to this that yamaha said in the 15 minutes video improved grand action so yamaha is a big company and when they said improved action so we should trust them even if it's a slight improvement but the result is the same which is improved action.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
If they added more sample memory for the new voices, I'd rather they skipped the voices, and instead used the memory for improving the two existing voices.

If they did not add more sample memory to accommodate the new voices ... frown

I’m thinking they probably did not add more ‘memory’ space for the so-called new pianos. It shows how these manufacturers are simply playing games with us.
These ‘period’ pianos are a gimmick. The truth is that the charm of these instruments extends beyond the sound: Narrower keys, smaller frames, overall different building-materials and other aspects unique to their corresponding time periods.

Yamaha has simply captured (I assume) one component, so it won’t be much more than gimmicky presets, but guess what, they know this trick sells.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I wouldn’t trust what the dealer told a customer who recently bought a CLP-685 from his store smile First, the new pianos are not yet at most dealers and dealers rarely know anything besides the brochure information. And second, of course the dealer will say “I didn’t sell you an inferior piano”. Let’s see how the dealer will advertise the CLP-785 to a person who’s there in the store and chooses between it and a used CLP-685 on the Internet 😁

I have to say these were my thoughts too. And having watched Rich and/or Hugh in some of their videos they never really say anything meaningful (and certainly there's never even a whiff of criticism) - about anything. It's all just super-polite, syrupy guff.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let’s see how the dealer will advertise the CLP-785 to a person who’s there in the store and chooses between it and a used CLP-685 on the Internet 😁

I think the result will be the same like this:

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
I'm sure I'll need to borrow this phrase ... smile
Originally Posted by EssBrace
It's all just super-polite, syrupy guff.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I'm sure I'll need to borrow this phrase ... smile

Ha! Please do!

Are you using the Scottish (?) interpretation of "guff"? wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Are you using the Scottish (?) interpretation of "guff"? wink

James
x

Erm...guff as in 'nonsense'.

But yes I'm not sure whether it's a Scottish useage but when I was at school there was a different meaning if someone had 'guffed'!

Thanks for seeking clarity on this important matter James.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
Let’s see how the dealer will advertise the CLP-785 to a person who’s there in the store and chooses between it and a used CLP-685 on the Internet 😁

I think the result will be the same like this:

Nice sound and nice playing (when he starts to play about 8:36). In the above video I think he doesn't use any reverb, so we can hear the clean samples without alterations. That's good.
IMHO Yamaha piano samples on their DPs are very well balanced. Honestly, I would not feel the need to use a VST on such a Yamaha DP.
I especially like how they sound in the lower octaves. Rich, but not overly-bass (unlike most Roland) and no exaggerated volume on the first octaves (unlike most Kawai).

O
O
They need to put some dsp in these pianos for top class effects, like convolution reverbs, good parallel compression and a multiband graphic eq

Last edited by Otavio; 07/16/20 08:58 AM.
The 88 keys take up over four feet of space. There's no room for those extra features! smile
Originally Posted by Otavio
They need to put some dsp in these pianos for top class effects, like convolution reverbs, good parallel compression and a multiband graphic eq
But seriously ...
No acoustic piano has those features. If the goal is to mimic a grand piano, then there no place for any of those items.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 88 keys take up over four feet of space. There's no room for those extra features! smile
Originally Posted by Otavio
But seriously ...
No acoustic piano has those features. If the goal is to mimic a grand piano, then there no place for any of those items.
I agree, if you play from internal/external speakers it's better to disable reverb effects, because they alter the original sound of the notes and the natural reverb of your room. But with headphones a little reverb is good and makes the sound more realistic, because with headphones you cannot hear natural ambience resonances, being that the sound goes directly to your ears.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Since headphones samples are binaural, Yamaha could (should?) have recorded a minimum of natural reverb, like the Garritan CFX where we ear the Abbey road room reverberation.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
O
O
[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Since headphones samples are binaural, Yamaha could (should?) have recorded a minimum of natural reverb, like the Garritan CFX where we ear the Abbey road room reverberation.

Doesn't that depends on the recording environment? If they recorded the binaural in an anechoic chamber (perhaps because they expect after-the-fact reverb to be applied by the user) then the sample would be just as dry as the sample.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 16 of 116 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 115 116

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission