2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 116 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 115 116
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by fakeChopin
Does anyone have info (or even a guess) on the difference between GrandTouch and GrandTouch-S?

I’ll make a guess myself: GrandTouch uses wood, while the -S version uses plastic?

On that note, does the wood really make a difference? Folks who have tried wood and plastic, what difference did it make for you?
CLP-745 has wooden GrandTouch-S. I'm guessing S means small or short which may mean shorter key sticks.

K
K
Hi guys. I want to ask if there is a difference between the grand touch in the clp 685 and the grand touch in the new clp 785?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fakeChopin
On that note, does the wood really make a difference? Folks who have tried wood and plastic, what difference did it make for you?

Night and day... the NWX keyboard feels quite* nice when I have tried it. Afterward, I have tried a GH3X and feel it too light under my finger.

(*quite... I reverse the “really nice” to the N1/N3 I have tried before)

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/02/20 05:00 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Karim 888
Hi guys. I want to ask if there is a difference between the grand touch in the clp 685 and the grand touch in the new clp 785?

Won't know until it's out for you to try it.

K
K
Thank you so much 🙏

L
L
The Yamaha website now has the manual for the CLP-700 series on their website. It answers some of the questions and points of speculation in this thread, including the differences between models. However, things will be clearer when the first reviews start coming in.
https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/m...nova/clp-785/downloads.html#product-tabs

Former professional keyboard player and organist
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was written something like Beowolf terms...

About feelings, the best thing to do is try by yourself. I had an hard time to feel differences between Yamaha wooden keyboards (NWX, GrandTouch, GrandTouch with counterweight). I mean, I didn’t feel much difference (But AvantGrand/NWX is night and day and the same is about NWX/GH3X). Then I am sure that GrandTouch and GrandTouch will feel quite comparable under my finger.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
K
K
So the manual shows they have an SU7 sample but they do NOT have the fantastic U1 sample that's in the CP88. That's a huge let-down to me. The U1 sample was amazing

gonna guess the chopin piano is a Pleyel

The sound of a piano made by a piano manufacturer in Paris in the 19th century.
Chopin deeply loved the pianos of this manufacturer, which responded well to his
sensitive touch. It has a sound like a singing voice, sometimes luscious, sometimes
mournful.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't see negative comments about these pianos. I see skepticism over the claims or expectations that they will be newer, bigger, better.
Originally Posted by rmnd
Well - hate to rain on the the troll parade, my suggestion would be to create a diferent "Let's be negative on a piano nobody has seen and I don't want to buy thread" for those posts.

T
T

Something to keep an eye on for people interested in the CLP 700 series. Maybe this will answer a couple of questions we already have

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I don't see negative comments about these pianos. I see skepticism over the claims or expectations that they will be newer, bigger, better.

What do you like to have in a new Clavinova? And what is it that you don't like in the 6XX series that you wanted to see improved?

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/03/20 04:46 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
The older thread wondered about a 725 model and actually it's already visible (by mistake?) on this site:

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/clp-725/features.html

- New CFX, Bösendorfer Imperial piano samples
- CFX binaural sampling
- 10 voices
- Improved VRM (Virtual Resonance Modeling)
- Grand Expression Modeling
- GrandTouch-S™ keyboard with synthetic ebony and ivory keytops
- 20 W x 2 amplifiers
- 12 cm x 2 speaker system
- Smart Pianist app integration

[Linked Image]

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
For comparison the 735 specs:

- New Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial piano samples, new Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer binaural sampling
- 38 voices, including 2 fortepiano voices (Mozart Piano/Chopin Piano)
- Improved VRM (Virtual Resonance Modeling)
- Grand Expression Modeling
- GrandTouch-S™ keyboard with synthetic ebony and ivory keytops
- 30 W x 2 amplifiers
- 16 cm x 2 speaker system
- USB Audio Recorder (Playback/Recording: WAV)
- 20 rhythms
- Smart Pianist App integration

O
O
So, Grandtouch key action in the whole range.
Really looking forward to see the improvements... Specially in Gt-s variation.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
To my mind the big news is in "New CFX and Bosendorfer Imperial samples".

These could be a Kawai-style UPHI to HI-XL type deal where the basic sample sessions are the same and the same original recordings are used but they reconfigure them in some way. But it could be derived from a new recording session.

So, to recap:

New samples + new keyboard action + new sound engine and/or expression modelling + improved resonance modelling.

And still no one is happy. Everyone bitching away, slagging Yamaha off. No one has played one. Almost no one wants to give them a chance.

I'm thinking this has got to be a symptom of some wider malaise with life in general.

K
K
Thank you EssBrace. I am in almost full agreement. There is far too much bitching, but not by ‘everyone’. I am looking forward to getting more information and eventually a full test drive to allow me to make up my own mind. I just ignore the mindless bitching.
I have owned both Yamaha and Kawai digital pianos, all of them good, but none of them perfect. As the saying goes, accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.
I look forward to constructive feedback from members who are interested enough to actually try the pianos when they arrive, and hopefully you will be one of them.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm OK with the bitching, and I myself do it often, but only when the pianos are available and we have tested them.

There's an announcement, seems like many things are new: new samples, new sound engine, new action. How come that's so bad?

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
No new action, only grandtouch-S on lower models... The higher models have the same grandtouch action as in the clp 600 series.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've ridiculed Yamaha quite a fair bit. The reason is that when I first went to test their instruments, I had great expectations - mostly because of the Bösendorfer sampling, since I am a Bösendorfer fan - but the action on both the 675 and 685 were so artificial, so unlike any acoustic I had ever played, that it seemed to me as if Yamaha were not at all trying to simulate the feel of an acoustic. I felt deceived, although it was of no direct relevance to me, since I was in the market for something much cheaper. Ultimately I got the Roland FP-30, whose action I considered (and still consider) vastly superior to that of the CLP-685.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
No new action, only grandtouch-S on lower models... The higher models have the same grandtouch action as in the clp 600 series.

Yamaha have changed their GH-action throughout the years (slightly but still) without any confirmation about that. Without testing the new action, we don't know for sure if it's exactly the same. For instance I also hated the CLP-675 action, the initial friction was unnatural to me. Maybe they reduced that friction without having to come up with new name for the action, or use versioning like Kawai actions.

Page 6 of 116 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 115 116

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission