2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Beansparrow, Akaitsuki, AlainGeneva, brdwyguy, Buzz209, anotherscott, brennbaer, 19 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 618 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 105 1 2 3 104 105
9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I created a new separate topic, as it looks like this series is officially presented.

CLP-700 lineup:

CLP-785 | CLP-775 | CLP-745 | CLP-735 || CLP-795GP | CLP-765GP

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Oh, there's actually a whole new action. The lowest end models have "GrandTouch-S™ keyboard" whatever that means. But it's no more a GH or NW variant. (What comes to the naming convention. I haven't seen any photos or drawings of it.)

9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
They described it a bit in the Features section.

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
There's something new this time:

Grand Expression Modeling
The interaction and interplay of the hammers, dampers, and strings inside a grand piano respond to the subtlest nuances of the pianist’s touch, creating a limitless range of tonal expression. Touch refers to the pianist’s control, not only of intensity (softness/loudness) in playing and releasing the keys, but also of the speed and depth with which the keys are pressed. The Grand Expression Modeling introduced in the CLP-700 Series translates the widely varied input from the pianist’s fingers into the same limitless tonal variation of a grand piano.

This makes it possible to vary the output by playing the keys to different depths and with different speeds, even when using techniques such as trills or legato or emphasizing the melody over the accompaniment. Grand Expression Modeling excels at faithfully reproducing the output expected of these techniques in many well-known songs. In Debussy’s “Clair de Lune,” a loose touch creates the faint tone that makes the melody stand out more crisply. In Liszt’s “Un Sospiro,” the accompanying arpeggios accent the melody without overwhelming it, and varied expression of the melody gives it the same quality as vocals. In the last of the Chopin nocturnes, trills, legato, and other delicate techniques where fingers seem to float over the keys deliver the airy, smooth tonal expression required. Playing such pieces on a highly expressive piano helps the pianist learn various techniques and experience the same joy of expression as a painter, but through sound.

[Linked Image]

I'm trying to understand it. To me it sounds like they may have recreated the possibility of playing leggiero and similar other techniques. We've discussed how on acoustic pianos you can only slightly tap the keys without pressing them fully and that would still be able to throw the hammer to play against the strings. However on digital pianos the hammers are not easily thrown separately from the keys and even if they are, they need to overcome escapement notches first, then press mechanically the three sensors and that reduces their speed, thus lowering the desired velocity. On most typical digital pianos you simply can't play leggiero consistently. Furthermore, when playing leggiero without damper pedal, the hammer will strike the string that's still damped and that will create a very soft and damped sound and I've seen world famous pianists using this technique for an original effect. Wondering whether Yamaha tried to replicate behavior like this and other similar effects of acoustic pianos. Maybe they have the triple sensors more distanced than each other, or maybe they have other type of sensors, or maybe it's just some software modeling that tries to predict this? Maybe also special sampling to allow for various sound effects to be utilized (e.g. a dull faint notes when playing leggiero without the damper pedal?). Certainly sounds interesting.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Oh, there's actually a whole new action. The lowest end models have "GrandTouch-S™ keyboard" whatever that means.....

GrandTouch-S

Just a thought!

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
To elaborate more on my previous post, Yamaha also mention trills when talking about the Grand Expression Modeling. I've commented how on digital piano actions trills tend to uncontrollably increase in volume due to the "punching bag" effect of the hammers not being stopped by a backcheck (as in acoustic piano actions) but simply rebounding between the cushioning and the key. Maybe Yamaha also introduced software modeling that would detect this behavior and just limit the velocities of the repeated notes to not reflect the actual hammer speed but follow more realistic and consistent velocity?

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/01/20 05:55 AM.

O
O
Finally.

- New Action + Bosendorfer!
Yeah

-No upright samples, from what I read.
😑

I didn't like what I heard in the promo video, let see more videos/review

Last edited by Otavio; 07/01/20 06:10 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Maybe...
maybe...
maybe...
Maybe...
Maybe...

Scrub to 3:25 if you're impatient. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
🎶🎹🎵

James, did I sense a bit of nervousness in you related to the new announcement by Yamaha? Did they beat you to an announcement you are gonna make soon too? wink A VPC-2 maybe?

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/01/20 06:31 AM.

James, did I sense a bit of nervousness in you related to the new announcement by Yamaha? Did they beat you to an announcement you are gonna make soon too? wink A VPC-2 maybe?

Kawai announced the Concert Artist CAx9 models earlier in the year, however we do have some other new instruments coming soon (that's not relevant to this thread though...).

Kind regards,
James
x

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Otavio
No upright samples, from what I read. 😑

The User's Manual reveals:
Upright Piano - The sound sampled from an upright piano, the Yamaha SU7. Enjoy the unique tonal character and a lighter, more casual feel.

It's in the whole 700 range. The 785/795GP do have a few exclusive sounds that are not in the other models such as...

Studio Grand - The sound of Yamaha’s C7 grand piano, which is often used in recording studios. Its
bright and clear sound is good for popular styles.

...and two of the "historical piano" presets amongs others.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
James, please wink if it’s an NV-20!

I’m desperate for something real, and bored with Yamaha’s so-called new offerings:

GrandTurd-S (the S stands for sh*t!).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not that I think Kawai-winks are uninteresting, but should this thread not focus on the Yamaha 700 series ..?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Touch sensor control panel (CLP-775 and CLP-785)
"The touch panel only displays text when it is on — when the panel is off, it has the smooth finish of a keyblock".
[Linked Image]

Looks good. I wonder if this works while playing, or only when instrument is turned off. If the latter, then it makes little sense, since the keyboard is already closed by a lid. For me, the question is purely for the sake of interest, since anyway I'm looking at the CLP-745's price category. And I don't like upright designs (mainly for practical reasons).

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
No!

Focus needs to be earned, and Yamaha has not earned it with all their vague gibberish! cry

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
No!

Focus needs to be earned, and Yamaha has not earned it with all their vague gibberish! cry

They are vague, and it is gibberish. But isn't that what marketing is all about? smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
blush

Originally Posted by 9190
Looks good. I wonder if this works while playing, or only when instrument is turned off.

Good question.

It appears that the CLP-700 models still use the same blue 128x64 pixel LCD as the previous generation. I don't know if it's possible for the backlight of these displays to be turned-off/on in software.

Kind regards,
James
x

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Such a tough competition between piano manufacturers over who will manage first to achieve this next frontier in cutting edge software and hardware integration of turning off the display backlight 🤣 James, I missed this but did Kawai win with the latest CA-series? The backlight can now be switched off, right?

9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by 9190
Looks good. I wonder if this works while playing, or only when instrument is turned off.

Good question.

It appears that the CLP-700 models still use the same blue 128x64 pixel LCD as the previous generation. I don't know if it's possible for the backlight of these displays to be turned-off/on in software.

Originally Posted by Rhinegold Publishing
Control panel illumination turns off automatically after a few seconds, giving these models the classic appearance of an acoustic instrument.

From here:
Yamaha launches Clavinova CLP-700 digital piano series

Page 1 of 105 1 2 3 104 105

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
issues with allegro 3
by saijin1 - 07/28/21 02:58 AM
U3 Contenders?
by johnbarnesiii - 07/27/21 09:45 PM
Kawai CA97 opportunity
by DFx - 07/27/21 09:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,256
Posts3,117,026
Members102,259
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission