2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (EB5AGV, fatar760, DSC, Adem, DPAfficionado, Frédéric L, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, Boboulus, 10 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 644 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
My grand piano is quite loud and after practice today my ears starts to hurt despite playing with the lid closed already.

This prompt me to do some research and I saw this piano mask thing on Kawai website (I actually have a Kawai piano)

https://www.kawai.jp/product/pianomask/

Has anyone came across this? I really want to get it but not sure whether there is a way to do so. I am based in Australia.

S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by willpianist
My grand piano is quite loud and after practice today my ears starts to hurt despite playing with the lid closed already.

This prompt me to do some research and I saw this piano mask thing on Kawai website (I actually have a Kawai piano)

https://www.kawai.jp/product/pianomask/

Has anyone came across this? I really want to get it but not sure whether there is a way to do so. I am based in Australia.
I wear 'musician ear plugs' when practising piano, otherwise my tinnitus goes into overdrive. Much easier, cheaper, solution IMHO if the loudness is only affecting you.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Honestly for the sheer amount of practice I have to do in times of learning accompaniments and solo rep, I do so much practice on a digital piano with the volume down, and go to the grand piano for finishing work. I haven't ran into any technique problems from it yet, and it really saves my ears.

YAMAHA Artist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Pretty wild idea, I’d never seen one before.
Has your piano been regulated and voiced?
If the solution you’re considering is very expensive, you might instead consider a string cover. People usually get one to keep the inside of their piano clean or to help regulate humidity, but I find they change the sound of the piano quite a bit.

Also, I don’t know what you’re playing, how small your room is, or what piano you have, but I rarely practice at 100% intensity, especially for longer sessions.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It seems strange they make the muffler for the GL-10, but not the GL-20,30 or 40. The muffler might cost more than the piano.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL
It seems strange they make the muffler for the GL-10, but not the GL-20,30 or 40. The muffler might cost more than the piano.

The “piano mask” is only about $1400 USD (“only”...) oh and the small print says there’s a $300 charge for installation, so to the OP you might have a hard tome getting someone to install it?

I second the suggestion of musicians ear plugs.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm planning to build something like this for my acoustic. I stuffed the underside with insulating wool -leaving clearance for the soundboard, and plan to put boards underneath it. I took the wool out and never got around to working on it again.

My piano isn't loud as pianos go, but I still don't really like being heard most of the time.

I used to practise on a Steinway concert grand and it could get really loud if I pushed it, so I wore ear plugs. At home I don't play loud, but it's good to get used to handling the piano at full volume.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You would be better served by putting on a different set of hammers, perhaps Abel Naturals. And regulate by reducing the blow distance a little. Then the lid position open, half, and closed would be your muffler control along with una corda. If you don't want new hammers, proper voicing can go a long way to also reduce the volume.

-chris

Last edited by Chernobieff Piano; 06/28/20 09:35 AM.

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm only really interested in doing something under the piano because it would reduce the volume for other people. The difference in sound quality at the playing position is minimal, but beside the piano it's significant. It's easy to undo.

I have Abel Naturals. It's already a very quiet piano.

Maybe I need a clavichord. 😁

When I play, other people say it's just the generic sound of someone playing the piano in the background. It's not loud enough to interfere with anything, and they can't really hear what I'm doing, so maybe I just need to get over it.

Last edited by johnstaf; 06/28/20 11:31 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
OP, if your piano is that loud with the lid closed, I don't think this contraption will make much difference.

An alternative is to mic the piano using condenser, omni-directional mics, run it through an audio mixer with a headphone jack and listen with isolation headphones. Optionally add a reverb unit if not built in to the mixer for ambiance.

I use this method to get a different piano experience and it includes most of the equipment needed for recording.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
. . .
I second the suggestion of musicians ear plugs.

+1.

Etymotic has some good ones, at reasonable prices. I use the ER-20XS:

https://www.amazon.ca/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Polybag/dp/B00RM6Q9XW

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The “piano mask” is only about $1400 USD (“only”...) oh and the small print says there’s a $300 charge for installation, so to the OP you might have a hard tome getting someone to install it?
That's less than I would have guessed, it looks like quite the involved contraption. It's still hard to believe they would make this for a 5' piano, most people want a device to make a 5' piano louder not softer.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL
That's less than I would have guessed, it looks like quite the involved contraption. It's still hard to believe they would make this for a 5' piano, most people want a device to make a 5' piano louder not softer.

I would guess that the market for this is people who have a very small piano in a very small house in a typical urban setting in Japan where houses are very close together.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Like this neighborhood...

[Linked Image]

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Did you try playing softer?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would expect effect similar to pianomask by placing couple layers of thick acoustic foam/703/mdf sandwiched together underneath, and probaly the separate lightwight block over the pinblock. You could shape it to fit under your grand nicely, attach legs with coasters, and cover with some nice drapery - would look nice IMO, and the piano itself stays untouched.
I am afraid this may also make the sound muffled though.

Last edited by VladK; 06/28/20 06:16 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Get a wool felt string cover. In the USA there's

Dawson String Covers.

They have patterns for almost all grands. The string covers are made of wool felt and come with "battens" -- flat, felt-covered sticks that sit on the plate, elevating the string cover above the strings so you can play the piano with the string cover on.

String covers reduce volume, keep dust out of the piano, and help in regulating sound board humidity. They range in price from about $250 US to $500 US or more, all depending on the size of the piano. Perhaps you have someone in Australia who makes this product.

August Förster 215
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Like this neighborhood...
We live on a farm, I forget most of the world lives in a city. I could throw a piano off the barn roof and no one would hear.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF
Get a wool felt string cover. In the USA there's

Dawson String Covers.

They have patterns for almost all grands. The string covers are made of wool felt and come with "battens" -- flat, felt-covered sticks that sit on the plate, elevating the string cover above the strings so you can play the piano with the string cover on.

String covers reduce volume, keep dust out of the piano, and help in regulating sound board humidity. They range in price from about $250 US to $500 US or more, all depending on the size of the piano. Perhaps you have someone in Australia who makes this product.

+1 thumb

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Pianos- the reason God made trees
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,881
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission