2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (b4xter, An Old Square, btcomm, 36251, allegrettoforte, bobrunyan, aphexdisklavier, 17 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 432 of 452 1 2 430 431 432 433 434 451 452
Y
Yao Offline
Y
Also new here, decided to learn piano since I have all this time at home now thanks to covid. Just finished Auld Lang Syne in book one, it’s nice to be able to play a familiar piece! Almost at the end... I already bought book 2 but need to be patient to work through the end of book 1!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Welcome, Yao!

I know that feeling smile. You're in the home stretch, keep at it!

Didn't get as much done this week. I had a few days where all I could bring myself to do is play through my polishing/warm-up pieces.
Alfred All-in-One

Singing in the Rain
Think this one could use a bit more polishing.

Laura
This is turning out to be tougher than I thought. I'm currently struggling with the last few measures of the first page.

Greatest Hits
Memory
I've graduated myself on this one, so it's getting moved to the repertoire.

the Sound of Music
Decided to work on this one next. I spent the week working on the first page, and I'm finding it quite a nice arrangement so far.

Y
Yao Offline
Y
Working on O Sole Mio after my first piano lesson, seems like I had been careless and missed a lot of details. It’s rather daunting to feel “I need to be so meticulous even with such a simple piece, what’s gonna happen when I get to more advanced pieces???” But I hope some of these will become good habits that i won’t have to worry about as much in the future...

N
N
How wonderful to discover this group. I started 5 weeks ago to fulfill a life long desire to learn piano. (Thanks, covid-19 lockdown! ) At age 65, it hit me that I was running out of time. So I got a Yamaha Piaggero 61 key & Alfred's All-in-One. It was love at first key press. I love the sensation of pressing the keys & coordinating my fingers, & the beautiful tone too.

Some thoughts:
1. Good to read about the mid-book slowdown everyone encounters. I feared maybe I was in over my head, but it's just the inevitable mid-book difficulties.

2. The Notorious BTMD laugh. I have some thumb pain at the base joint from practicing that so much & working on the Hanon 6ths. Two straight hours of that perhaps wasn't a good idea.

3. At what point will I regret having only 61 keys?

4. So glad I got the Alfred's All-in-One. It's more gratifying to work through than the Pianoforall material. The Pianoforall stuff is now supplemental fun when I need an Alfred's break.

5. Other purchases that worked out well: a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver that I plug into the headphone jack; $25 Mpow Bluetooth headphones; an Android app for my tablet "Complete Music Reading Trainer" for away from keyboard practice.

T
T
Originally Posted by No Expectations
How wonderful to discover this group. I started 5 weeks ago to fulfill a life long desire to learn piano. (Thanks, covid-19 lockdown! ) At age 65, it hit me that I was running out of time. So I got a Yamaha Piaggero 61 key & Alfred's All-in-One. It was love at first key press. I love the sensation of pressing the keys & coordinating my fingers, & the beautiful tone too.

Some thoughts:
1. Good to read about the mid-book slowdown everyone encounters. I feared maybe I was in over my head, but it's just the inevitable mid-book difficulties.

2. The Notorious BTMD laugh. I have some thumb pain at the base joint from practicing that so much & working on the Hanon 6ths. Two straight hours of that perhaps wasn't a good idea.

3. At what point will I regret having only 61 keys?

4. So glad I got the Alfred's All-in-One. It's more gratifying to work through than the Pianoforall material. The Pianoforall stuff is now supplemental fun when I need an Alfred's break.

5. Other purchases that worked out well: a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver that I plug into the headphone jack; $25 Mpow Bluetooth headphones; an Android app for my tablet "Complete Music Reading Trainer" for away from keyboard practice.

I started 8 or 9 months ago and I am yet to move outside of that 61 key range.
The good thing for you is that if you ever do want to upgrade, your current keyboard won’t become redundant as it looks perfect for practicing when away from home.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
Y
Yao Offline
Y
On Jericho... the syncopated notes are so hard to count frown

N
N
Treefog, thanks for your info about 61 key adequacy. Yes, part of the attraction of the Piaggero was its light weight & portability. Though I see the Casio CTS 200 that my son bought has a built-in carrying handle -- but that's my buyer's remorse talking.The Piaggero feels nice to play, sounds beautiful, & is lovely to look at. It sits on a Z stand, Velcro'd to the top arms so the grandkids won't topple it.

Yao, thanks for the warning! laugh

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
No Expectations
Please do not practice Hanon for 2 hrs per day. You should limit the time , and never play one repetitive pattern for the entire time. Pain with piano practice is a warning sign to alter what you are doing. Additionally, fo not follow the instructions in Hanon to lift your fingers high. Current teaching is to treat the hands and wrist as a unit

You might find this useful

https://www.informance.biz/online-academy/4-hanon/4-jail-breaking-hanon-1

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
T
T
Treefog, thanks for your info about 61 key adequacy. Yes, part of the attraction of the Piaggero was its light weight & portability. Though I see the Casio CTS 200 that my son bought has a built-in carrying handle -- but that's my buyer's remorse talking.The Piaggero feels nice to play, sounds beautiful, & is lovely to look at. It sits on a Z stand, Velcro'd to the top arms so the grandkids won't topple it.

Yao, thanks for the warning! laugh

The Casio does not appear to have touch sensitive keys so I think that you made the right choice with the Yamaha.

Regarding portability, you could buy a case.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/soundwear_stagebag_np_11_np_12.htm

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
N
N
Dogperson, thanks so much for that link! I've bookmarked it & will refer back to it. I've learned my lesson re intensive, repetitive practice. Too bad because it felt so good at the time, but I've been paying for it ever since.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Dogperson, thanks so much for that link! I've bookmarked it & will refer back to it. I've learned my lesson re intensive, repetitive practice. Too bad because it felt so good at the time, but I've been paying for it ever since.

If you are still having pain, I would personally vote for no Hanon and limiting any practice until there is no pain at all. I am not a physician, but RSI (repetitive stress injury) is a real thing with pianists. If it doesn’t go away, you may need to stop all playing until it does. Be careful!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
A
A
Hello from TN! I started Alfred’s All-in-One Book 1 last October (after 5 solid years of lessons and 4 different teachers, long story)...

So far, I’m up to p. 120 (Chiapinecas) as far as new material, but looping back to Lone Star Waltz, Cafe Vienna, and Lullaby for mastery, as well as Little Brown Jug. I’ll pick up Chiapinecas in a week or so, plus probably Can-Can and Marines Hymn.

I’m supplementing with Junior Hanon (started #15/16 last night) and Fingerpower 1 (near the end, doing triads and arpeggios in C and G as warmup with octave scales, hope to add F very very soon) smile

Korg SP-170
Czerny Op. 599 to get my fingers moving again...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Amy!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
N
N
It's fun to play the pieces using different voices on the digital piano. I use an organ voice & reduce the reverb to get a steam calliope sound for BTMD. Reminds me of the paddle wheelers in New Orleans. And I love playing "Mary Ann" using vibes & extra reverb -- sounds like real calypso music! I find changing voices helps sometimes when stumbling through pieces over & over. That way I don't get sick of hearing the same errors laugh

Last edited by No Expectations; 06/30/20 02:19 PM.
Y
Yao Offline
Y
Another week of Jericho for me, I can’t keep a steady beat which is why my teacher didn’t pass me on this — now I see importance of a teacher lol, before I’d pass myself on a piece when “it sounds about right”, never pressing for greater precision.

So it’s gonna take me longer to finish book 1 but I think it’s worth it spending more time on each piece than I would have on my own.

The road ahead is so very long...

R
R
At the end of book 1, working on the entertainer, like the song and it is going well. I miss having the lessons it took to get here. Thinking about just working on these songs at the end of book, I seem to be losing motivation. How do you keep at them? Does it make sense to move to book 2 while I work on these last 8-9 songs?

Any suggestions appreciated...

PL
R
R
Another thought, since I also have piano marvel and stopped at level 3 to start alfred all in one, should I go back to piano marvel and work up the levels? Thanks in advance for the thoughts. I have a Teacher that isn’t teaching right now due to COVID

PL
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I've read others on PW saying that the pieces at the end of each book are not really part of the course. For example, the 3rd book ends around ABRSM Grade 3. But the pieces at the end of Book 3 are actually around ABRSM Grade 5, so they are "stretch" pieces. It seems to me that if these pieces are just to give you some repertoire to play, you'd probably not be far wrong just starting Book 2 while you are learning that repertoire (assuming it's repertoire you'd actually like to learn).

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
N
N
"before I’d pass myself on a piece when “it sounds about right”, never pressing for greater precision."

I wondered about that: how good is good enough? Is perfection a trap to avoid or something to strive for?

I need a decent bench. The dining chairs with arms that I currently use makes it awkward to play the pieces an octave higher when called for. What do you guys do when playing the octave-higher parts, do you just lean to the side or do you scoot down the bench or what?

Page 432 of 452 1 2 430 431 432 433 434 451 452

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HP704 vs FP90X vs CLP735/745
by SharpPencil - 11/28/21 09:46 AM
How to make jumps without looking at keys
by GreenCheck - 11/28/21 09:41 AM
Keyboard for practice
by lbuizza - 11/28/21 09:12 AM
removing dust from bridge using piano string,
by Maximillyan - 11/28/21 05:51 AM
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,284
Posts3,149,293
Members103,451
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission