2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, 15 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Vienna Imperial is my true love.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Would you go as far as calling it your ‘immortal beloved’, that there Vienna Imperial?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Would you go as far as calling it your ‘immortal beloved’, that there Vienna Imperial?

Yes.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
So, I think you can say the conclusion here is: You have to see for yourself. grin

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’ve seen things, U3piano; things that should’ve been left unseen, for they have caused me tremendous suffering. So I say, be careful what you wish.....to see for yourself! smirk

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Honorable mention I guess should be Ivory I, since I think that one pushed a lot of boundaries back in the day. "Historically important" I would like to think, although it's surely outdated nowadays. Too bad Synthogy hasn't been keeping up with the times in the past few years. I'd love to see Ivory III from them, with properly sampled pedal down resonance and multiple mics.

As for today I'd say Garritan CFX still takes the crown for being the overall best package, even though the VSL pianos are technically superior in many respects, but have garbage copy protection and are poorly optimized. Pianoteq for best playability at the expense of less realistic sound. Some great Kontakt pianos out there for sure but I wouldn't say any of those are the best simply because Kontakt has so many issues with things like repedaling, half pedaling etc..

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Back in the day I almost purchased Ivory II, but glad I didn’t, and now greater things have come our way.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
No such thing as "best", but if you're after realism, I own & use all of these and they are well worth checking out:

• Production Voices Production Grand (Yamaha C7) and Concert Grand (New York Steinway D) - both at 60% off at the moment. Full Kontakt required for the full versions, but there are compact single stereo mic versions which run in the free Plogue Sforzando player.

• Impact Soundworks Pearl Concert Grand (Yamaha C7) - runs in the free Kontakt Player.

• Simple Sam Samples Signature Grand (Hamburg Steinway D recorded in a hall). Full Kontakt required. On intro sale @ $49

• Wholesounds Baldwin Parlor Grand - 4 mics sets and very realistic tone (runs in the free UVI player)

• Sampletekk Black Grand MkII (Hamburg Steinway D - 3 mic sets in a concert hall) & White Grand MkII (close & mid mic studio piano). Full Kontakt required. These are on a 70% off sale at present.

• Wavesfactory Mercury Grand (Fazioli F228). Lite & Full versions available. Runs in the free Kontakt Player.

A solid list as it seems to me. I have the Production Voices libraries, and the Sampletekk ones you mentioned, but none of the other ones.

A few notes though.

All the Sampletekk pianos are at 80% off, not 70%. Which makes them an even better option. I like the Black Grand MkII, and the White Grand MkII.

They're probably not the best ones ever, in many peoples view, but for 80% discount, totally worth that money.

The Production Voices libraries, Production Grand 2, and the Concert Grand Steinway, are great, and at 60% off, good value.

As already pointed out, they need the full Kontakt, which possibly rules them out for very many VST users.

The same goes for the Sampletekk pianos, except the Sampletekk Black (not the Black Grand MkII, which still needs full Kontakt, but the one named Sampletekk Black, without the MKII added).

The Sampletekk libraries with MKII in their names, are the same libraries as the ones without it in their names, but with some features added, for example True Resonance, Real Time/True Pedaling, Sympathetic Resonance and some other nifty features, as they say on the website.

Let me finally raise everyone's attention, that Simeon Amburgey has made a walkthrough video of Production Grand 2 LE. Love all his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KZ4AdCmlYw

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/19/20 10:20 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
No such thing as "best", but if you're after realism, I own & use all of these and they are well worth checking out:

• Production Voices Production Grand (Yamaha C7) and Concert Grand (New York Steinway D) - both at 60% off at the moment. Full Kontakt required for the full versions, but there are compact single stereo mic versions which run in the free Plogue Sforzando player.

• Impact Soundworks Pearl Concert Grand (Yamaha C7) - runs in the free Kontakt Player.

• Simple Sam Samples Signature Grand (Hamburg Steinway D recorded in a hall). Full Kontakt required. On intro sale @ $49

• Wholesounds Baldwin Parlor Grand - 4 mics sets and very realistic tone (runs in the free UVI player)

• Sampletekk Black Grand MkII (Hamburg Steinway D - 3 mic sets in a concert hall) & White Grand MkII (close & mid mic studio piano). Full Kontakt required. These are on a 70% off sale at present.

• Wavesfactory Mercury Grand (Fazioli F228). Lite & Full versions available. Runs in the free Kontakt Player.

A solid list as it seems to me. I have the Production Voices libraries, and the Sampletekk ones you mentioned, but none of the other ones.

A few notes though.

All the Sampletekk pianos are at 80% off, not 70%. Which makes them an even better option. I like the Black Grand MkII, and the White Grand MkII.

They're probably not the best ones ever, in many peoples view, but for 80% discount, totally worth that money.

The Production Voices libraries, Production Grand 2, and the Concert Grand Steinway, are great, and at 60% off, good value.

As already pointed out, they need the full Kontakt, which possibly rules them out for very many VST users.

The same goes for the Sampletekk pianos, except the Sampletekk Black (not the Black Grand MkII, which still needs full Kontakt, but the one named Sampletekk Black, without the MKII added).

The Sampletekk libraries with MKII in their names, are the same libraries as the ones without it in their names, but with some features added, for example True Resonance, Real Time/True Pedaling, Sympathetic Resonance and some other nifty features, as they say on the website.

Let me finally raise everyone's attention, that Simeon Amburgey has made a walkthrough video of Production Grand 2 LE. Love all his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KZ4AdCmlYw

I love Simeon's videos too! I even reached out to him before, a very nice person. smile Though I play classical and he is more of a Gospel origin musician, it's wonderful hearing him trying out the libraries, and bring them to their extremes! A nice content creator!!! smile

G
G
The Production Voices Concert Grand could have become my favorite piano but it has a bunch of issues, as I wrote here earlier. There is a range in the higher couple of octaves that is a lot quieter or less clear than the rest, it sounds muddy and weak. The advanced pedaling features are broken, they don't work when you activate them and actually crash the plugin. Same with when you change some values in the configuration menus, it also crashes Kontakt. These things never got fixed. Such a shame, another one of those "could have been a top contender but nope" pianos.

P
P
I wonder why nobody mentions the Waves grand rhapsody ?
grin

I think that we should ask which piano vst gives you the most pleasure.
For me it’s the Embertone Walker 1955 and maybe it lacks here and there, but it gives me by far the most pleasure of all piano vst’s. And i have two VSL piano’s, Garritan CFX, Wavesfactory Mercury, Hammersmith pro, Pianoteq, CinePiano, Signature grand Sam Samples, Ravenscroft , Super Grand and lots of others i try to forget about I ever purchased for some greedy selfish moment of weakness.

Last edited by pianistje; 06/19/20 12:29 PM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
There's just not enough love for VSL CFX frown

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I rarely use a VST .... but when I do .... I prefer Pianoteq.

It gives me instant access to many different sounds.

If I do not particularly care for the one I have chosen, I chose a different one.

I usually modify the bass sound (reduce it) and add a velocity curve for the moment.

And go.

I do not listen intently to hear if it sounds exactly like a real piano.

I just listen to hear if it sounds good to my ears.

And it usually does.

Then after a bit ... I might tire of it and I might select a different one.

Or I might use my MP11SE internal sound and somehow it now sounds better than it did prior to using the VST.

Magical ...

And on and on it goes ....

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Grazilerimba, I just fired up my Production Grand 2 Gold, and turned on Authentic Pedal, and Continuous Pedal. It didn't crash anything.

Are you sure you have the latest updates of everything, Kontakt 5/6, and the plugin itself? I don't remember if there is an update after Jason published version 2.

If the pedalling features work or not, I have no idea. I guess I'm tonedeaf when it comes to repedalling, half pedalling, true pedalling, or whatever it's called, LOL!

Oh, the Waves Grand Rhapsody, the less we talk about that one, the better. cool

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I hope you understand that 'True' in their statement is fake, right? They just use Kontakt scripts to emulate it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, I knew that, and they say so on their website (which I'm assuming most will read, if they are taking a look at these Sampletekk libraries). Maybe that's one way to keep the size of the libraries down.

Which leads me to think, VSTis are maybe never only sampled, or only modelled, well - except Pianoteq. A lot of piano sample makers model resonances and other stuff, like pedal behaviour.

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/19/20 02:02 PM.

Me on YouTube

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So I don't think it's right to call it fake, unless you believe that Pianoteq is 100% fake, because everything there, is emulated.

Me on YouTube

G
G
@TheodorN
I was talking about the Concert Grand (the later released Steinway), not the Production Grand (the earlier released Yamaha).
I am not aware of such issues with the Production Grand.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So I don't think it's right to call it fake, unless you believe that Pianoteq is 100% fake, because everything there, is emulated.

Does Pianoteq declare they have something 'true'?
Samletekk declares their scripted features as 'true' which is fake statement IMO.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
The best VST is the one you enjoy playing at the moment.

God Bless,
David

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Grazilerimba, sorry, you said Concert Grand, just missed it, because we were discussing the Yamaha library, or emulation as we might call the VSTs now. cool

By the way, I fired up Concert Grand LE, and the pedal behaviour was in fact very strange. When turning on Authentic Pedal and Continuous Pedal, it was like the sound was cut off, so the sustain was better without the features.

It didn't crash Kontakt, nevertheless.

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/19/20 03:17 PM.

Me on YouTube

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission