2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (716GoBills, Beansparrow, brdwyguy, EB5AGV, Animisha, Burkey, c++, 1957, 6 invisible), 943 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2991183 06/13/20 07:30 PM
D
Dazzie2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I am using a korg D1 and As you can see its very hard to get in between the black keys without hitting other notes and that's only the low end of the black keys, I only every had one teacher and they refused to teach me because of this , so after a few years later I decided to try and learn the piano by myself my own way , I normally play just below the black keys and try to avoid going in between the black keys when i can . why don't they make the keys wider for people with large hands? I have come to terms with the fact i will never be able to follow the correct ways of playing but its out of my hands , no joke intended .

Last edited by Dazzie2; 06/13/20 07:30 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
M
I’m still very new to this, but have the same problem. I’ve heard people suggest rotating your hand a bit so your fingers slip in slightly edgewise. Seems to result in a more vertical attack over the keys, which could be a problem later. What was your alternative? You could start making giant pianos, as you’d need to scale up more than just the keys.

Adult Beginner: Yamaha P115 Piano, Guitars
Long Gone: Trumpet, Renaissance Recorders
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In the pictures you are playing all white notes so there is no need to play that far forward on the keyboard. Can you pay passages like CDEflat or F# A C# ?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have large hands and sometimes have a hard time striking white keys in between black keys.

Some remarks from my experience:
- Rotating slightly sideways does help without compromising overall technique.
- Sometimes it's possible to change the fingering to make it easier. I don't think it's cheating or that it limits your playing options very much. People with small hands have the opposite problem but can still play almost any repertoire by adjusting the fingering.
- Practice playing all chords with the standard fingering even if it's not comfortable at first. For instance, the four-note A major first inversion (C# E A C#) does cause me some problems with the 4th finger played between black keys but by practicing that chord daily I got used to it.
- Actions that have a very light touch are not good for us as it's easier to get accidental keypresses. Try to find a piano with a heavier touch. Also, there are slight variations in the inter-key space. We're talking millimeters here but sometimes that can make a difference.

Also, I think your teacher wasn't very nice for refusing to teach you. They could at least have referred you to someone else. I'm sure there are plenty of teachers with large hands who know how to deal with large hand problems.

Here is what helped me a bit:

Bloody Beginner - Kawai CA-58
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dazzie2
why don't they make the keys wider for people with large hands?
This is not an answer, but just to show the other side of it. I am a woman, and I wonder, why don't the make the keys narrower for people with small hands. The answer is, of course, that it would be too expensive.

I only every had one teacher and they refused to teach me because of this
I find this outrageous. I am sure that there are teachers out there who can teach you. But here is a video for you (I don't have big fingers so I don't know if this is any good):

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by macuaig
I’m still very new to this, but have the same problem. I’ve heard people suggest rotating your hand a bit so your fingers slip in slightly edgewise. Seems to result in a more vertical attack over the keys, which could be a problem later. What was your alternative? You could start making giant pianos, as you’d need to scale up more than just the keys.
Yes, I second that opinion, just rotate your hand a little bit when you need to insert a finger in between black keys. More vertical attack will not be a problem. And avoid playing in between black keys when it is not absolutely necessary.

A
A
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I am using a korg D1 and As you can see its very hard to get in between the black keys without hitting other notes and that's only the low end of the black keys, I only every had one teacher and they refused to teach me because of this , so after a few years later I decided to try and learn the piano by myself my own way , I normally play just below the black keys and try to avoid going in between the black keys when i can . why don't they make the keys wider for people with large hands? I have come to terms with the fact i will never be able to follow the correct ways of playing but its out of my hands , no joke intended .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To3qHqCtb1s&feature=emb_title In this is a video there is a Parlour Grand piano with a Reduced Size Keyboard. I found interesting that it is possible to own one though it is probably expensive and not easy to acquire one. But, it gives some hope that in the far future these will hopefully become more accessible ( though probably my wishful thinking as I have tiny hands).

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Ay
There is a company that will retrofit existing pianos
http://www.steinbuhler.com/html/our_story.html

As included in the article, Charles Walter will install the reduced size keyboard in a new piano

I think I found that Halliun has a reduced keyboard option in new pianos But I can’t seem to find the reference I would suggest that you check with a dealer

For those with big hands, you might want to see if there are keyboard options

Last edited by dogperson; 06/15/20 08:42 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The OP's problem is having large hands so why are you guys talking about a solution for small hands?

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
The OP's problem is having large hands so why are you guys talking about a solution for small hands?

Because the company that retrofits for small hands and the two piano piano manufacturers, may be able to provide a larger sized keyboard it is worth checking

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Because the company that retrofits for small hands and the two piano piano manufacturers, may be able to provide a larger sized keyboard it is worth checking

I understand how they could retrofit a smaller keyboard onto a larger piano but how do you do the opposite without rebuilding the body of the piano?

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

I understand how they could retrofit a smaller keyboard onto a larger piano but how do you do the opposite without rebuilding the body of the piano?

If it is not worth checking, no one needs to check. I also included two brands that may be able to retrofit a large keyboard in manufacturing

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I guess you need to find a work around, all hands are different, but every piano you sit behind has the same keysize.

Getting a larger keybed is not a solution, it will only limit you..

W
W
Oh wow you do have big fingers! We all have limitations. I have small hands. It's for us to adapt.

P
P
Originally Posted by Bachus
I guess you need to find a work around, all hands are different, but every piano you sit behind has the same keysize.

On a somewhat-related note: A co-worker brought in a child-sized toy keyboard the other day. I sat down to put on a quick show... It was very difficult because all the keys were narrower than standard! My fingers were totally lost on the unfamiliar geography of the little keys.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,692
Posts3,107,090
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission