2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (ando, CyberGene, accordeur, anotherscott, Dore, BlakeOR, AWilley, 7 invisible), 415 guests, and 614 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi

I'm looking to buy Garritans CFX concert grand, just wondering if Garritan are offering the download version only? Or boxed version with USB flash drive? (Garritan dont state) As i intend to install on a external drive to free up disc space on a Macbook Pro. Would a download version also allow that option?

I'm looking for a third party retailer as I'm based in the UK, but no luck so far..
will Garritan ship to the UK ?

R
R
As far as I know, it is download only. I downloaded it and installed it to an external SSD. Works perfectly.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I purchased Garritan CFX Full a few years ago and it was a box with a USB thumb drive. That thumb drive just is for uploading the VI to your computer, then you put the thumb drive back in the box for safekeeping.

I don't see any stores selling the boxed version now so seems to be only downloadable for now. Not sure if the boxed version was discontinued.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Ryan Reid
I downloaded it and installed it to an external SSD. Works perfectly.

So after payment for the CFX library, prior to download, i assume there is an option to download the file to either the drive of the Mac or an external SSD? as you suggested. Can you remeber the turn around time for the CFX library download?

G
G
Just wanted to say that I, like newer player, also got a physical edition that includes a USB stick with the files on it.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to all who supported this post.

JLG Offline
Just to clarify the process, you download the compressed installer to whichever drive is the most convenient to start the installation process from.
Later you may choose to archive this file or to simply delete it. It will always be available to download again from the Garritan web site once you've logged in.

Once downloaded the Stand-alone player and the VST are installed in the same place that all your programs are installed, but you get the option of defining where you want the library of samples installed.
On my PC the CFX "player" program and the x86 and x64 virtual instruments are on the C:\ drive in their respective "Programs" directory.
The CFX grand samples are installed on my E:\ drive, which happens to be a 1TB Samsung SSD where all my samples are located.

Be prepared to allow some considerable time both for the download to complete and for the installation process to decompress the samples onto your samples drive, the full CFX is a huge instrument.
Once installed, the first time of use requires a "picture" file with your registration details to be dragged and dropped onto the player to complete registration.

Casio PX560, Garritan CFX & GPO5, Akai EW4000s, Yamaha VL70m & AN1x.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JLG
Just to clarify the process, you download the compressed installer to whichever drive is the most convenient to start the installation process from.
Later you may choose to archive this file or to simply delete it. It will always be available to download again from the Garritan web site once you've logged in.

Once downloaded the Stand-alone player and the VST are installed in the same place that all your programs are installed, but you get the option of defining where you want the library of samples installed.
On my PC the CFX "player" program and the x86 and x64 virtual instruments are on the C:\ drive in their respective "Programs" directory.
The CFX grand samples are installed on my E:\ drive, which happens to be a 1TB Samsung SSD where all my samples are located.

Be prepared to allow some considerable time both for the download to complete and for the installation process to decompress the samples onto your samples drive, the full CFX is a huge instrument.
Once installed, the first time of use requires a "picture" file with your registration details to be dragged and dropped onto the player to complete registration.

Thanks for that helpful info JLG.

P
OP Offline
P
So the process would be first to install the CFX Library including the sample player (ARIA) on the Mac drive. Then in completion of the download, i can then choose to move the sample libray to an external SSD drive? Thus enabling to free up space on the Mac drive.

Last edited by Pianoworldstage; 06/17/20 02:58 PM.
JLG Offline
Yes, download the installation library to your main drive from the Garritan web site once you've logged in, it's around 13 to 14GB in size.
Whilst logged in do the "generate keycard" and it'll pop-up a picture which you need to copy to your computer. This is the registration picture I referred to earlier.

Once that's all done you can start the installation process. (I'm a PC user so not quite sure how it's started on a Mac!)

When the installation process is under way you'll be asked where you want the ARIA player, etc. installed and that's the normal place for your programs.
Then you'll be asked where you want the sample library put, and if you have your SSD connected you can specify that as the destination.
Mine went into E:\Garriatan\CFX Concert Grand\.
Then you let the installation process run.
Installing the programs is relatively quick, but the samples have to be decompressed and checksummed.
This bit takes a considerable time as it ends up being about 122GB of data.
Mine says "29,799 files in 407 folders".

Finally, when the installation is complete, you start the ARIA (the sample player) and load the first sample it asks for authorisation.
That's when you drag and drop the saved picture onto the player.

When it's all done and working, you can either copy the installation program to a backup disk or just delete it.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JLG
When it's all done and working, you can either copy the installation program to a backup disk or just delete it.

Meaning the original CFX library installation package? That can be backed up to perform a fresh install if ever need be?

JLG Offline
Originally Posted by Pianoworldstage
Meaning the original CFX library installation package? That can be backed up to perform a fresh install if ever need be?

That's correct, sorry I didn't make that clear.
You can backup the original download in case you ever need to reinstall (and keep a copy of the registration picture).

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks again JLG.. you've been most helpful.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The real pop book v3?
by Sebs - 05/05/21 10:35 PM
1997 Young Chang G Model
by texasheat - 05/05/21 10:10 PM
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,738
Posts3,090,209
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission