2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by U3piano
Don't worry, you have not offended me at all. There's no need to think our piano's are the best, just because we own them. smile And I have no problem at all accepting a german piano twice the price of mine is probably the better piano, but.. I am just really curious to hear that difference now! If the difference is substantial I might just look for a German piano in the future, I live in Holland so that shouldn't be too hard.

I like my u3, but I can't get the idea of a small(ish) grand out of my head, so I see no reasons why it couldn't be a German one. smile
Yes smallish grands can very nice.You sound like you are young so you have plenty of time to choose. A small Yahama C1 ,Kawai GL ,GX or a European grand would be great ! In the mean time
just enjoy your piano !

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
well but I do not think your or my piano can sound as good as a 6 foot grand in rendering very big pieces. The A flat major Polonaise really would always sound better on a 6foot or bigger grand.
The same as the Rachmaninoff concertos.That is for sure !

This is very true but I was bit surprised how, in some ways, the differences are smaller than I thought between grand and upright. We were treated to a fine pianist letting rip with the Rachmaninov on both the K800 and SE132 we liked and also on the Shigeru SK-7. The big grand clearly was in a different league with power, weight and projection, especially in that large venue, that the uprights could come nowhere near, yet, there was a clear family resemblance between k800 and SK-7 and, power aside, the portrayal was much more similar than seems reasonable. The Yamaha was by comparison less convincing on a piece of this scale but it is a very fine piano, if as expensive as some European models. It's strength is I think what Yamahas are mostly criticised for and that is its treble which does have a sweet quality underlying the clarity and for some pieces suited more.

It is difficult to generalise about pianos and tone, they are all so different.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Yes it is rather strange to hear the family resemblance in a certain brands. I have tried a rather expensive Artres 122 (actually a Maly design ) ,and other models of Sauter uprights.They are very much the same.In fact the Sauter Ambiant semi concert (over 7 ft ), still some timbre or tone that relates to the uprights.

I tried a Shigeru (smaller one) but never had the chance to spend much time with it.
That sounds like quite an enjoyable time ,the K800 and SE132 playing a Rachmaninoff concerto.
So the SE132, is that the top Yamaha upright which has an SMP price of something like $38,000
We do not get that one in Canada so I have never seen it.Enjoy your new piano ,by the way.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thank LB, we are enjoying it very much.
Yamaha's top upright is I believe still the SU7, there wasn't one of these to try in our comparisons and it's a bit beyond our intended budget as well. The SE132 is a newer model sitting below the SU7 but above YU5 and its marketing puff says that the SE is a special 'European Voiced' edition. Be that as it may, we found it a very nice piano - if my main interest was playing Bach or Jazz it would have been my first choice.

B
BadDude Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I notice that different grand pianos have a different number of back posts. For example, the 6'2" GX3 has 4 back posts while the 5'11" GX2 has 3 back posts, and larger grands tend to have more back posts. Are the back posts simply there to distribute weight or do they also play a role in the piano's acoustic?

K
K
Do you mean the braces? I believe back posts refer to upright pianos.

Frank Emerson explains the purpose of the braces. Go to :30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRAiYYapet0

B
BadDude Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm looking at the specs sheets of Kawai GX2 vs GX3, and they say 3 and 4 "back posts" respectively. Are back posts the same as braces?

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/gx-2-2/
https://www.kawai-global.com/product/gx-3/

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BadDude
I'm looking at the specs sheets of Kawai GX2 vs GX3, and they say 3 and 4 "back posts" respectively. Are back posts the same as braces?

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/gx-2-2/
https://www.kawai-global.com/product/gx-3/
The K series (the uprights) use a specification table that uses the same format as the grand specification table you pointed to. The K500 uses the word backpost in the specs, my guess is they used the same template for the grand web page and forgot to change the word backpost to brace.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Obviously those big pieces would never sound good on a small grand ,even the best uprights would
be under strain to give the best. So do not judge the GL10 on that recording rather try playing the piano.
It actually is rather a nice grand but as I said does have a smaller sound.
Rachmaninoff and Chopin Polonaises are not ideal.
Every piano has a certain repertoire which sounds good and not so good.
A full-sized upright of reasonable quality will have the sound palette needed to render a Chopin Polonaise. I owned a restored vintage Schultz upright when I learned the A (military), F#m, and Ab (heroic) polonaises. The piano was never a limiting factor. (There were times when it took encouragement from my teacher to convince me that my technique was not a limiting factor, but that wasn’t the piano’s fault.)

An upright with a mediocre quality or heavily used and worn action may not have the repetition speed for the polonaise rhythms, especially if they are played in the Polish tradition of delaying slightly the start of the 16th notes and rushing them to catch up to the 2nd beat on-time. But a good quality upright action in good condition should not pose a problem.
Yes of course I was using really talking about the small GL10 .Yes ,yes I play two fiery Polonaises as
well but I do not think your or my piano can sound as good as a 6 foot grand in rendering very big pieces. The A flat major Polonaise really would always sound better on a 6foot or bigger grand.
The same as the Rachmaninoff concertos.That is for sure !

It depends on the size of the space. My current piano I had thought had a 48" soundboard, but after finding a scan of an old brochure I learned it is 50". It still does not have the bass response of say a 6' grand. It nonetheless is adequate in a small living room. The Schulz upright I mentioned was quite large: 53" soundboard and the piano case was 62" wide. It had a bass response that matched a Chickering 6' grand I later owned. Neither the Schulz upright nor this particular Chickering grand had a treble tone I found fully satisfactory, but either one had the power to render a piece like a Chopin Polonaise without limitation.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission