2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (CharlesXX, anotherscott, brdwyguy, c++, 12 invisible), 482 guests, and 546 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi,

Just looking for a consensus opinion between the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen, and the FS 2i2 3rd gen. My set up is digital piano to audio interface to Macbook Pro using Garageband to record solo piano, very simple. Doing the comparable spec research on both models, but would still value an opinion.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What’s the difference?

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present).
Kawai ES110. Mason & Hamlin acoustic.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Regarding Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen vs. 3rd gen ... buy the cheaper one. The price will likely be the only difference anyone will notice.

R
R
One thing to consider is the 2i2 doesn't have loopback if you care about that. I needed it and, after wasting too much time with virtual cables, had to exchange for a motu m2 instead

One thing missing from your post ... What are you trying to accomplish with this effort?

C
C
The biggest difference between the two is the 3rd gen has their air feature (derived from their high end Clarett interfaces) which introduces a subtle high end sheen when engaged. The 3rd gen claims slightly increased headroom but real world performance will not be noticeable, especially for what you want to do (solo piano into garageband).

Audio Interfaces are all about the Mic pres these days. Needless to say, inherently hype laden. You would be fine for your stated purposes with the 2i2 2nd gen which could even be sought for used at a bargain.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 06/09/20 10:36 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Maybe OT but the loopback feature may be useful in these days of COVID if one is taking remote lessons. I am and using my AG-06 for mic and headphone and the loopback feature came handy when I wanted to use Pianoteq to play a MIDI for the teacher to listen.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
K
K
Ok... I don't want to hijack (I keep saying that in these threads!!), but, can somebody explain this audio interface to me like I'm 5? I thought I understood their purpose (essentially a DAC - take the digital audio and render it into sound impulses).

But what is this "loopback" thing you speak of? Is this like using the external DAC to render audio, then sending it back along the USB interface to the PC for audio recording?

-Budding G.A.S. in Houston

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
C
C
Loopback in an audio interface means there are virtual inputs within the interface software which permit recording of audio from other sources within your computer.

Example : recording web browser audio such as Youtube using a DAW.

The 3rd gen Scarletts do this. The 2nd gen doesn't.

Feedback loop precautions pasted from Focusrite support.

"Important! - MUTE THE DAW CHANNEL or set the output to No Output. If you are routing the output of the channel you are recording back to DAW 1 & 2, a feedback loop will be created, potentially damaging for your speakers, or worse – your ears."

R
R
Originally Posted by kimby
Ok... I don't want to hijack (I keep saying that in these threads!!), but, can somebody explain this audio interface to me like I'm 5? I thought I understood their purpose (essentially a DAC - take the digital audio and render it into sound impulses).

But what is this "loopback" thing you speak of? Is this like using the external DAC to render audio, then sending it back along the USB interface to the PC for audio recording?

-Budding G.A.S. in Houston

I am still new to all of this so if I am wrong about something correct me. An audio interface is an external audio card. It improves the sound quality of your computer and allow you to connect monitor speakers/microphones/midi devices. It also lowers the latency between the computer and monitor speakers.

The loopback feature, as Chuck said, lets you use the audio that is sent to the monitor speakers as a recording device on the computer. I think it works in the same way "stereo mix" does on internal sound cards with windows. It can be useful for online piano lessons, for example, because you are able to use the sound going to your monitor speakers as an input device on skype/zoom/etc so your teacher can hear what you're playing directly (without a mic recording it)

C
C
Razorbill, Exactly!

It's always an improvement over onboard audio. Your description was perfect!

K
K
Originally Posted by Razorbill
Originally Posted by kimby
... explain this audio interface to me like I'm 5

The loopback feature, as Chuck said, lets you use the audio that is sent to the monitor speakers as a recording device on the computer. I think it works in the same way "stereo mix" does on internal sound cards with windows. ... you are able to use the sound going to your monitor speakers as an input device on skype/zoom/etc so your teacher can hear what you're playing directly (without a mic recording it)

Got it - that makes perfect sense! Thanks ChuckW and Razorbill! Now I understand the use-case you describe.

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you to all piano purist's and music creationists who supported this post.

C
C
Correction.

It seems that loopback isn't in the 2i2 3rd gen. That feature starts at the 4i4 interface and up. Sorry for initial mis-info.

But there is a workaround for older 1st and 2nd gen 4i4 and up units.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546775-Does-the-Scarlett-range-have-loopback-

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,923
Posts3,093,370
Members101,516
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission