2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JotaR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey guys, first post here, but im always checking here for a long time...

And now need some advice from you guys...

I can buy Kawai MP7SE or Yamaha CP 88 for almost the same price, so which one should I pick? Can you help me decide what's the best option here...

For monitors I already have a pair of Eris E5 and a Sennheiser HD600 headphone.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

The CP88 is a whole lot more expensive than the MP7SE. In fact, you can buy a MP7SE and a ES110 for one CP88. Where did you find this deal of a lifetime ?

Last edited by ChrisGoesPiano; 05/16/20 03:59 PM.

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
J
JotaR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yep, same price, but I do not live in USA...from Brazil here, and the store is with a sale!
So I have the opportunity to get one of this two, which of this would make me really happy? smile
I can't try then to see what's like unfortunately , im going blind here on this...thats why need some advice.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
MP7SE. Just better. The CP88 is a total delight to use and looks great but they've dumbed down their core piano sounds for the CP series (which I find absolutely impossible to understand). It would be absolutely fine for pumping through a PA in a gig but if you want to spend any time really getting into the piano sounds and enjoying them then the Kawai every time.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Where in Brazil? When considering kawai, is it worth checking if you will get the proper tech support, should you need it. I think Yamaha has a better tech support in Brazil (and Roland and Casio for that matter).

I am not saying that the CP88 is a better choice in terms of features than MP7SE, from what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, it is not (e.g. I think it does not have string resonance if memory serves and it is limited in terms of sounds).

As both are namely stage DPs, is it worth asking: are you going to gig with them?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
J
J
MP7SE is better, the CFX Grand on the CP88 was altered to be better to play with other instruments which is stupid.

Finally bought the P515
J
JotaR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Where in Brazil? When considering kawai, is it worth checking if you will get the proper tech support, should you need it. I think Yamaha has a better tech support in Brazil (and Roland and Casio for that matter).

I am not saying that the CP88 is a better choice in terms of features than MP7SE, from what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, it is not (e.g. I think it does not have string resonance if memory serves and it is limited in terms of sounds).

As both are namely stage DPs, is it worth asking: are you going to gig with them?

I live in South Brazil, but we have here Fritzdobbert and other one that's authorized by Kawai...so I think if I need support they can take it, already talked to them and they can do it. But you are right Yamaha here has the cake, all over the place.

Id like to thank you guys on this matter and I think im good to go with Kawai , im in love with they're Piano sounds. Im a Jazz and Classical player, I do some gigs , but mostly play in studio.

So ready to open the wallet on this...

Appreciate your help and attention with me... this the best community!!

Cheers,

JotaR.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JotaR
Id like to thank you guys on this matter and I think im good to go with Kawai , im in love with they're Piano sounds. Im a Jazz and Classical player, I do some gigs , but mostly play in studio.

So ready to open the wallet on this...

Cheers,

JotaR.

Good luck. Whatever you go for let us know what you think of it once you've got it.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JotaR
Hey guys, first post here, but im always checking here for a long time...

And now need some advice from you guys...

I can buy Kawai MP7SE or Yamaha CP 88 for almost the same price, so which one should I pick? Can you help me decide what's the best option here...

For monitors I already have a pair of Eris E5 and a Sennheiser HD600 headphone.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Depends upon what you want!
The Yamaha CP88 is ok for playing in a band with drums, bass, lead guitar etc., where the subtitles of a high quality piano sample don't matter---ie., its whether the sound cuts through or not in a band, not whether it has string resonance.

The CP88 is an attempt by Yamaha to compete with people who like the Nord Piano or Nord Stage concepts. If you like that concept, you might prefer the CP88.

The MP7SE on the other hand is a different level of beast: more functionality, much more sounds and sound effect parameters, good user interface (just different) and a piano action which is arguably more closely trying to simulate an acoustic grand action. On the other foot, the CP88's action (NW-GH) is known to be very fast so good for highly repetitive trills. Other differences: the MP7SE has a weight of 22.5 Kg (49.6 lbs) compared to the CP88's 18.6 kg (41 lb, 0 oz). The build quality of the MP7SE is pretty damn good: metal case, wooden side pieces. The polyphony on the MP7SE is 256, whereas the CP88 is only 128. As far as midi-controlling goes, the MP7SE is really good for that.

I would argue that apart from the action, the main differences in day-to-day use are in sound tone and that you should ideally compare them to decide which you like best.

I played the CP88 and didn't like the piano sound. The CFX grand on the Yamaha P515 is much better. The Nord Grand that the CP88 was sat next to in the store was a much better instrument IMO. Therefore, the CP88 is really a cheaper version of the Nord Piano concept which has potential, but is currently less attractive due to the limited Yamaha sound library compared to the Nord libraries.

Really, the nearest competitor to the MP7SE is the Roland RD2000 which is functionally closer in capability. Arguably the RD2000 is the most functional board but with some issues such as lousy headphone amp and inefficient sound selection tool.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
J
JotaR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Wow thanks for your review on this Doug, really appreciate...made my decision more easy. I was looking at the RD2000 too, its a very good option...But I think I will enjoy the MP7SE more.
Yeah the CP88 I see is not for me, I want that piano level sound in the MP7.

So im sure about getting the MP7SE now, thanks for all your replies on this.

I wil let you guys know when it gets here, I think I will have to wait 2 weeks from now :/, already anxious haha

But I have another question for you guys now, if you could help on this too, as im really a noob on this matter. I bought an Eris E5 to go with the stage piano on my studio.
The question is, what type of cable to I use to connect both, the mp7SE have two 1/4 output and the Eris E5 have a rca, trs and xlr input. So should I use a trs cable to both ends, or should a I use a TS in the MP7SE output and a XLR or TSR in the Eris input, or even an rca on the Eris end? Don't know what's the best option, already did a research on this here, but still confuses to me.

Hope you can help me on the too,

And thanks again for your time replying and attention with me

Cheers,

JotaR

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
JotaR, it depends on MP7SE outputs type, if they are unbalanced, then a TS to TS (i.e. tip and sleeve) will work fine, it is how I use them with my RD2000. If MP7SE outputs are balanced, then a TRS to TRS or TRS to XLR will be fine.

I am not sure if/how well a balanced cable (TRS-TRS or TRS-XLR) will work with unbalanced outputs, maybe others may know better.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
JotaR, I've just replied to your message, however I will post it below just in case:

Originally Posted by Myself
The MP7SE's Line Out connectors are 1/4" TS (unbalanced), therefore a TS cable should be used.
I believe it should be possible to connect this cable to the RCA connector on the Eris E5, using an RCA-->TS adapter.

It may also be possible to connect directly to the Eris's 1/4 TRS (balanced) connector, however I don't believe there will be any advantage to doing this instead of the RCA connector. My recommendation would be to double check with the speaker manufacturer to be 100% sure.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I James, good quality TS-TS cables are easier to find than TS-RCA and they work with the Eris TRS inputs. Anyway, the OP has two options instead of one. smile

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The sensitivity of the RCA input on the Presonus monitors is the same as on the other inputs so it does not matter from the perspective of matching line level. It is thus preferred to use the unbalanced inputs on the Presonus monitors for an unbalanced source to eliminate the transformer that unbalances the input for the balanced connections from the audio path.

From the Presonus manual:

If the audio source has unbalanced 1⁄4” TS (tip-sleeve) outputs, use a 1⁄4”-to-RCA adapter or adapter cable.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Sweelinck,

What the manual for? ROFL. TBH I did not RTFM (read the fine manual).

I use the TRS inputs of them and experience no problem.

I don't think modern equipment (other than maybe some microphones) use a transformer on the outputs/inputs. I am pretty sure they use operating amplifiers or specialized differencial output/input amplifiers (I think TI has them in their line card). Otherwise I would notice issues with the sound as I would be short-circuiting one of the transformer sides with the common/shield wire. The only downside I see is a loss of 6dB in sensitivity therefore loss of 6dB of SNR, but that is not noticeable to em.

Having said that, I agree that following the manual directions is a better path.

Last edited by EVC2017; 05/18/20 11:27 AM.

RTFM? That was our appetizer from the Italian restaurant last weekend. Really Tasty Fried Mozzarella sticks!

J
JotaR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey guys , thank you very much for your support and attention with me, really appreciate.

Now its all clear, I also talked with Kawai Japan and the representante here in my country, and all told the same as you here...

So MP7SE is confirmed to be unbalanced, and it have to use the TS Mono cable. And the Eris E5, as im using the unbalanced from the mp7, it has to continue to be unbalanced in the other end, so the best option is to use RCA in the Eris input.

They also said I can use TSR or XRL, that can work or not...its not guaranteed and you will not get balanced using this. I think MacMac on a post I read somedays ago told exactly that!

Alright then, thank you all!!

Stay safe and keep playing smile

Cheers

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Sweelinck,

What the manual for? ROFL. TBH I did not RTFM (read the fine manual).

I use the TRS inputs of them and experience no problem.

I don't think modern equipment (other than maybe some microphones) use a transformer on the outputs/inputs. I am pretty sure they use operating amplifiers or specialized differencial output/input amplifiers (I think TI has them in their line card). Otherwise I would notice issues with the sound as I would be short-circuiting one of the transformer sides with the common/shield wire. The only downside I see is a loss of 6dB in sensitivity therefore loss of 6dB of SNR, but that is not noticeable to em.

Having said that, I agree that following the manual directions is a better path.
Yeah, I instinctively think of a transformer to balance or unbalance the audio path, but I’m sure you are correct that these have some off-the-shelf chip to do it. These are unlikely to be an improvement on sound quality however.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
J
JotaR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey guys, my DP finally came today... really happy with it, i went with the mp7se and loving the action and SK voices .. really amazing!!!

But need some advice, the box that came with the piano was half opened, and the piana was upside down in the box, like i had to open from the bottom to get it right. But i think the company that I bought from , and they are the official importer here in my country , also any guarantee its with them, opened to write in the guarantee certificate my name and model etc ... this was inside the box. So i think no problem there, and the DP look like new but the keys ... keys feels amazing and everything seems to work fine. Except the color of the keys , i think it is too yellow ... thats what id like to know from you guys, it its that way? Or they sent me an showroom unit or something like that? Cause the sticker that comes saying ivory keys, the red one i think, it wasn’t there too as saw in lots of video on youtube.

What do you think? Should i send it back ?

Thanks guys ,

JotaR

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
A picture would be useful. With a white sheet of paper on the keys for comparison. Because your yellow may be my white. smile

They tend to be (very) slightly yellowish. If too yellow, it may mean it stayed too long in storage and in not great storing conditions. Take a look at the serial number and manufacturing date. Oddly I could not find this information on the piano. I found it a label on the cardboard box. Mine was made in 2016 and the keys are white (with that very slight yellowish tone aforementioned to imitate ivory).

Last edited by EVC2017; 06/08/20 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission