2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
M
M
Originally Posted by dima5222
Hi mikepis!

Might you like to give an indication on how much you paid?

But what is much more interesting for me:
* why did you decide for the NU1X?
* have you tried some of the other candidates like N1X, or Kawai CA79/99?
* share some impressions (maybe related to your experience)

Sure. The price after discount was 4k EUR incl. free delivery and haul to the 6th floor.

Kawai CA series: The sound of Kawai DPs is superb. I simply do not like their key action. It is too soft for me. Matter of taste, obviously. GFII was not acceptable for me. CA99 with GFIII was better (got the chance to play it at the Gasometer in the very first week of its delivery in March 2020 right before the pandemic) but did not like it either. Was contemplating to buy CLP685. A lot of sounds, heavy touch, solid keybed. This selection should have been my compromise between a midi controller and a real piano. After I had been given the opportunity to play NU1X, the hybrid piano action and sound were simply better by far than those of CLP685.

Impressions: Difficult to say. I have had it just for two days.

Pros: action similar to the acoustic one, top sound. having played Kurzweils (PC88 and PC3X) and RD-800 with PHA-4 keybed for years, it will take some time to adjust the technique to something that is close to the acoustic piano.

Cons: only 15 sounds, limited midi capabilities (just single midi zone, the only adjustable midi parameter is local on/off). Cannot split keyboard into multiple zones and use them to control racks or other midi devices. This would be solved by the purchase of Novus NV5 but it is too expensive for me.

hope it helps.

D
D
I think 4k is a very reasonable price. Congratulations.
Really appreciate your report, thanks.

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
M
M
Originally Posted by dima5222
I think 4k is a very reasonable price. Congratulations.
Really appreciate your report, thanks.

Hello dima5222

thank you fro your interest. By now, I am satisfied with the NU1X. It's a vast improvement over previous digital pianos I owned.

D
D
Beside the price, have you had the chance trying the NV5 as well?

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
M
M
NV5 was switched off in the shop, not available to the customers for testing. Did not know the reason. They may have been afraid of ruining the keybed of the expensive hybrid. While off, I tried the touch. It was pretty good. Totally different from GFII and GFIII.

D
D
Congratulations with the new piano. I can't decide whether I should purchase a kawaii Ca 99 or yamaha NU1X. 😅 As said earlier I also like the hybrid action. But the price on kawaii ca 99 is more bargain. 😩. Ddunno which piano I should go for

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As someone who had the NU1X and currently holds an NV5: Go for the CA99. The NU1X is a great instrument. If you don't want to fiddle around with Settings and don't switch Voices often, the NU1X is good though the action feels a bit stiff and heavier near the fallboard. Also it's very noisy (which was the main concern why i switched to the NV5).

If you can, try both and decide. It's the best way to determine which you like more.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I haven't played the new models CA79/99. However I've played CA78 while owning NU1X and it's a huge difference. The CA78 action felt unnatural due to the mushiness and the sound was boomy in the bass and shrill in the highs, with uneven progression. It's of course much cheaper piano but to me the realism of the NU1X action would make it a no brainer.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/02/20 08:04 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The CA78 action felt unnatural due to the mushiness and the sound was boomy in the bass and shrill in the highs, with uneven progression.

Goodness me, that CA78 sounds like an absolutely terrible piano!

It's a good thing Dodo3009 was actually asking about the CA99... ;p

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by Dodo3009
I can't decide whether I should purchase a kawaii Ca 99 or yamaha NU1X. 😅 As said earlier I also like the hybrid action. But the price on kawaii ca 99 is more bargain. 😩. Ddunno which piano I should go for

I don't think you can go wrong with either instrument.

Spend some time play-testing both and purchase the piano that you enjoy the most.

Kind regards,
James
x

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The CA78 action felt unnatural due to the mushiness and the sound was boomy in the bass and shrill in the highs, with uneven progression.

Goodness me, that CA78 sounds like an absolutely terrible piano!

It's a good thing Dodo3009 was actually asking about the CA99... ;p
CA99 has the same action and sound samples. Or are they entirely different? wink

CA99 has the same action and sound samples. Or are they entirely different? wink

The CA99 uses a different keyboard action and different sound samples, as well as a different amplification and speaker system.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

The CA99 uses a different keyboard action and different sound samples, as well as a different amplification and speaker system.
But how different? Radically different? Not at all alike? Slightly improved? Significantly worsened?

But how different? Radically different? Not at all alike? Slightly improved? Significantly worsened?

I would say "significantly improved".

However, this is of course my subjective opinion.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You don’t seem to have issues with Tyr recommending the CA99 based on him owning the NV5. I’d assume you believe CA99 and NV5 are not “different”. Or would you say CA99 is much closer feeling to NV5 than to CA78? I hope you’re not selectively criticizing only me because I’m recommending against a Kawai piano? wink

M
M
Originally Posted by Dodo3009
Congratulations with the new piano. I can't decide whether I should purchase a kawaii Ca 99 or yamaha NU1X. 😅 As said earlier I also like the hybrid action. But the price on kawaii ca 99 is more bargain. 😩. Ddunno which piano I should go for

Tyr's reply is a good advice, I guess. If the key action resemblance to that of an acoustic piano is not that important to you, go for CA99. It has a modern UI, a lot of functions, voices etc.

You don’t seem to have issues with Tyr recommending the CA99 based on him owning the NV5.

That's true. Allow me to explain why:

- The CA99's GFIII keyboard action is firmer and more responsive than that of the CA78's GFII action. This addresses your first criticism of the CA78.
- The CA99's amplification and speaker system is the same as that of the NV5 (actually, it's even better due to the added speaker diffusers). This addresses your second and third criticisms of the CA78.

In responding to Dodo3009, I did not recommend one model over the over, but just advised him/her to play-test both instruments and opt for the one that they enjoy playing the most.

I did not criticise you directly, but simply poked fun at the irrelevance of your initial comparison. Please don't take this banter personally. wink

Kind regards,
James
x

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, I responded with the CA78 comparison mostly due to being “triggered” by Tyr smile If one can recommend CA99 because he owns the NV5, why wouldn’t I recommend against CA99 based on some other instrument smile And sometimes I tend to react like a pr*ck, I know it, won’t even get offended if I’m being called this way. Maybe my Slavic blood has anything to do with it, maybe just a nasty side in me... Apologies for that part of my behavior in this forum throughout the years 🍻

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/03/20 05:40 AM.

No need to apologise!

Your valued contributions to this forum are immeasurable.

Don't worry, be happy! wink

M
M
Originally Posted by Tyr
As someone who had the NU1X and currently holds an NV5: Go for the CA99. The NU1X is a great instrument. If you don't want to fiddle around with Settings and don't switch Voices often, the NU1X is good though the action feels a bit stiff and heavier near the fallboard. Also it's very noisy (which was the main concern why i switched to the NV5).

If you can, try both and decide. It's the best way to determine which you like more.

Is the 2000 euro difference worth having features like splittable keybed, 90 voices and a touch screen display? Not that I did not like NV5 and did not want to have one.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission