2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (anotherscott, 36251, Boboulus, andrea monza, Andrew E., AaronSF, Bostonmoores, 17 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
Hi

I'm looking to record a video performance, playing a digital piano using only a Samsung android mobile. How do i get to sync the sound of the DP directly to the mobile for a clean audio signal, without the external sound of the room.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Record the audio and video separately, then mux (multiplex) them back together on computer.

AviDemux is free mux software that I've been using for this purpose for a couple of decades:
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

For good quality audio be sure to record the audio digitally via USB Audio or a VSL via USB MIDI - not via last-millennium analogue output.

Last edited by Burkie; 05/29/20 10:21 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Burkie
For good quality audio be sure to record the audio digitally via USB Audio or a VSL via USB MIDI - not via last-millennium analogue output.
Another digital recording option many digital pianos have is the ability to record directly to a USB drive. This is probably the easiest option if you are performing on stage where connecting to a computer may be a hassle.

Failing this, almost all digital pianos let you record to MIDI file on a USB - then you can render the audio later using a VST in your computer.

So in all, about 4 options for digital recording:
[list]
[*]USB Audio direct to computer via USB cable
[*]USB MIDI to VST on computer via USB cable
[*]Directly recording to a digital audio file on USB drive plugged into piano
[*]Directly recording to a MIDI file on a USB drive plugged into piano - and then rendering into digital audio using a VST on a computer

Last edited by Burkie; 05/30/20 02:39 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
J
J
I use iRig 2 adapter and iRigRecorder app to record voice and video simultaneously. The piano line out is connected to the adapter with a cable. After recording i save the file to the phone and copy it to my computer with USB cable for final editing. The app has bugs in editing and OneDrive export functionality, for example editing causes the sound and video go out of sync. Otherwise it works just fine. I assume the app is targeted for iPhone so thats why there is bugs left.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If you're going to use analogue recording, you might as well use an analogue (acoustic) piano.

It defeats the purpose of having a digital piano not to use digital recording.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
JackFi: Simplest possible solution.
Burkie: But ... but ... but ... sputter. smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Plugging in a USB drive and recording directly to that is 100x easier than connecting a cable to lineout and another device.

...just sayin'

Last edited by Burkie; 05/30/20 07:38 AM.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Isn't the iRig just for Mac / iOS? The OP said Android. Is there an equivalent gadget?

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
There are many iRig products. Some work on Android too. Some connect via USB and others via the regular 3.5mm socket and the input is then mono while the USB ones may support stereo depending on the exact model.

But can any Android app record simultaneously from the camera and an external audio interface?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
There are many iRig products. Some work on Android too.

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't come across those on a quick search, but now I'm interested ...

EDIT: ikmultimedia.com/products/index.php?R=ADDF&FV=ANDROID&CV=Platform&PSEL=Android

Last edited by TheophilusCarter; 05/30/20 08:37 AM.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JackFi
I use iRig 2 adapter and iRigRecorder app to record voice and video simultaneously. The piano line out is connected to the adapter with a cable. After recording i save the file to the phone and copy it to my computer with USB cable for final editing. The app has bugs in editing and OneDrive export functionality, for example editing causes the sound and video go out of sync. Otherwise it works just fine. I assume the app is targeted for iPhone so thats why there is bugs left.

Would iRig 2 work for me? What would the configuration setup be on my part? Would it be 2x quarter inch jack line outs from the DP to the iRig, then connect the 3.5mm cable from the iRig to the mobile? Would this sync a clean audio signal recording along side the video?

This is all speculation, new to this.

J
J
Originally Posted by Pianoworldstage
Originally Posted by JackFi

Would iRig 2 work for me? What would the configuration setup be on my part? Would it be 2x quarter inch jack line outs from the DP to the iRig, then connect the 3.5mm cable from the iRig to the mobile? Would this sync a clean audio signal recording along side the video?

This is all speculation, new to this.

I think it's only possible to record with mono so i have one cable from piano to iRig and then the iRig is plugged into the phones headphone jack. I use actually a guitar cable to connect the piano to the iRig but prehaps a normal audio cable is better. The iRigRecorder is a bit shitty but does the work. Video and sound will be in sync automatically as long as you dont try to edit anything with the app, just export the file. It is good for making home recordings and simple things like that.

P
OP Offline
P
From your experience its evident that it works.. just quick to clarify. Audio line out cable from Digital Piano to iRig, then 3.5mm cable from iRig to mobile, then hit record using the built-in video camera of the mobile. Am i correct in saying that set-up would suffice a clean audio signal with the video recording in sync ?

Last edited by Pianoworldstage; 05/30/20 11:43 PM.
What does this Irig do? Why can you not plug the piano audio directly into your phone? Why is it necessary to add the Irig?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What does this Irig do? Why can you not plug the piano audio directly into your phone? Why is it necessary to add the Irig?

I don't know. But for some reason I have always been under the impression that you can't get stereo (i.e., two track) audio into an iPhone without some bit of gear in between. I'd love to be wrong about that. Hopefully someone will point out that I am wrong , and why!

So ... one more poke in the eye from Apple. You can't just plug in. You gotta buy extra stuff. frown

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Apple: Overpriced, overrated, and over here.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Well, you can't record an external stereo signal on an Android phone either without some extra gear.

There are a lot of things that smartphones are not. They are not:
- video cameras
- proper still cameras
- portable field recorders
- piano modules
- Etc.

But they are quite flexible and can act as a decent substitute for many other things.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
There are a lot of things that smartphones are not. They are not:
- video cameras
- proper still cameras
Wait what? You mean to tell me that the Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Google, and LG marketing departments have been lying to me for 13 years?! Guns and bombs time it is!

Last edited by Burkie; 05/31/20 08:32 AM.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Apple: Overpriced, overrated, and over here.

I’m still baffled by the fascination despite a rotten Apple!

I mean, they can’t get anything right (it seems). Take for instance the iconic MacPro; somehow they’ve managed to effit up twice: first the trash can (a disaster by their own admission), and now the grossly overpriced new version; which oddly enough exaggerates on the original’s weakest design point: the cheese grater look.
The new one truly looks like a huge cheese grater with handles and everything.
Did I mention $700 for wheels and a hefty 1K for a freaking stand!

But still, despite all this, I/we gravitate towards Apple; is it the OS, the ecosystem, or some form of collective subliminal manipulation? I don’t know, but it defies all logic that we still keep supporting a company that is outright ripping us a collective new one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Notation Question (Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement)
by DaveInMichigan - 10/24/21 03:18 PM
The Haunting at ParSem!
by Piano World - 10/24/21 02:27 PM
Historical pianos / Chris Maene
by Ppianissimo - 10/24/21 02:12 PM
What’s comes with a kawai grand?
by NightShade - 10/24/21 06:44 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,723
Posts3,141,758
Members103,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission