2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I have a Roland FP10 and previously was able to get it to connect to my iPad via Bluetooth and use the Roland Piano Partner 2 app. My kids messed around with some buttons and now Bluetooth won't turn on at all no matter what I do:

... I've tried holding down the "Function" button while pressing C7 as instructed in the manual
... I've tried a factory reset (and then attempted to turn on Bluetooth as above)

The FP10 does not have a dedicated Bluetooth button or indicator light. The way you know it's ready to pair is when the "Function" button flashes. When solidly lit, that means it's paired... in my case, the light is completely off and I can't get it to turn on.

I've Googled and Googled this but can't find an answer. Anyone have any ideas?

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Disconnect from the wall, wait 30 seconds and reconnect.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Perhaps double-check that the FP10 is not automatically pairing to another device.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
O
You may also have to ‘forget this device’ from your iPad before attempting to re-pair the two.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by vara411
... I've tried holding down the "Function" button while pressing C7 as instructed in the manual
... I've tried a factory reset (and then attempted to turn on Bluetooth as above)

I haven't fooled with bluetooth on my fp-10 in a long time. But are you sure it's C7? Look closely, the reference manual appears to indicate it's c#7 to turn on and d7 to turn off: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FP-10_Reference_eng01_W.pdf

V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by hes
I haven't fooled with bluetooth on my fp-10 in a long time. But are you sure it's C7? Look closely, the reference manual appears to indicate it's c#7 to turn on and d7 to turn off: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FP-10_Reference_eng01_W.pdf

Oops thanks, yes that's right, it's actually C#7. Unfortunately that did not work for me. I can't understand how this worked previously but now doesn't.

Any other ideas? frown

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Nobody? frown

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
H
hes Offline
H
You're not giving much information to go on, other than that you don't think bluetooth is being turned on. If you've enabled bluetooth by having FP-10 on and pressing c#7, what are you doing then to determine that bluetooth is not enabled?

Are you opening the Piano Partner app? and if so, what are you doing to create the connection in Piano Partner?

Also, what you mean by "not paired" is unclear. Once you've paired the FP-10 it will stay as a paired device on your phone, regardless of whether the FP10 is on or off, or its bluetooth is on or off. You don't need to repair it, you just reconnect when it's on and bluetooth is active. I paired my FP-10 when I got it last year, haven't re-paired it since then. So I'm wondering what you're talking about when you mean it was paired but now apparently it's not.

Last edited by hes; 05/18/20 06:37 PM.
V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi hes, thanks for your feedback. Happy to expand...

Originally Posted by hes
You're not giving much information to go on, other than that you don't think bluetooth is being turned on. If you've enabled bluetooth by having FP-10 on and pressing c#7, what are you doing then to determine that bluetooth is not enabled?

As best I can remember based on when it was working, the FP-10's "Function" button flashes when the Bluetooth is searching for a device, and stays solid when it is paired to a device. Mine is simply off. I could be wrong about this, but I think this is how it's supposed to work.

Originally Posted by hes
Are you opening the Piano Partner app? and if so, what are you doing to create the connection in Piano Partner?

I am using the Piano Partner 2 app, yes. It's a fabulous little app (when it works). This is what I use to connect my iPad to the FP-10 (not the iPad's bluetooth settings).

Originally Posted by hes
Also, what you mean by "not paired" is unclear. Once you've paired the FP-10 it will stay as a paired device on your phone, regardless of whether the FP10 is on or off, or its bluetooth is on or off. You don't need to repair it, you just reconnect when it's on and bluetooth is active. I paired my FP-10 when I got it last year, haven't re-paired it since then. So I'm wondering what you're talking about when you mean it was paired but now apparently it's not.

This is precisely what I found so puzzling. Again, my kids may have fiddled with the buttons (not sure what they did exactly or even if it was anything they did... in any case a factory reset should have undone all of it). In my attempts to get it working, I instructed my iPad to "forget" the FP-10 in hopes of getting it paired again. Now the FP1-0 doesn't show up on my iPad at all... I don't see the FP-10 in the PP2 app or in the Bluetooth settings of my iPad.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Has anyone worked with Roland tech support? I can't even find where to "open a ticket" with them on this issue.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by vara411
Has anyone worked with Roland tech support? I can't even find where to "open a ticket" with them on this issue.
Maybe here?

J
J
I just did a quick test on my FP-10. According to the ref manual, the function light flashes 3 times when you turn on the DP, showing that the DP is capable of bluetooth. It still flashes 3 times even if I TURNED OFF the bluetooth function (by press Function+D7).

Can you check if your function light actually flashes or not when you turn the DP on? If not it might have an issue that needs repair.

I have the same issue with the FP-10 and the app.
got it working one time when i had it new, but even there it was luck i believe.

i pair the fp10 with my android phone and start the piano partner app. no device found.
tried everything.
turn bluetooth on and off on the fp10 and the mobile.
again paired the fp10 then start the app.
or turn fp10 off, start app, turn fp10 on then pair - nothing.
can´t get it to work.

Bloody Beginner - Kawai CA-58
E
E
I found this link quite useful as a step by step guide (even though it uses a different piano to the FP10) - https://youtu.be/OAfpQCni4ng

The important part is not to pair the Fp10 to your phone/tablet, but to connect via the settings in the Piano Partner App.

I found that if you pair first, it doesn’t work and you have to forget all the settings in your devices Bluetooth menu, restart the device and then try to connect through the app for it to work.

i found out why the app couldn´t find my fp-10.
i disabled location services on my phone.
the app needs it to connect.
noticed that when i tried to connect my tablet and the message in the app showed up.
after enabling it it works like a charm.

Bloody Beginner - Kawai CA-58
H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by TheWestman77
noticed that when i tried to connect my tablet and the message in the app showed up.
Glad you got it working. Your persistence paid off.

V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by JerryY
I just did a quick test on my FP-10. According to the ref manual, the function light flashes 3 times when you turn on the DP, showing that the DP is capable of bluetooth. It still flashes 3 times even if I TURNED OFF the bluetooth function (by press Function+D7).

Can you check if your function light actually flashes or not when you turn the DP on? If not it might have an issue that needs repair.

Nope. Mine does not flash like that at all. It used to. frown

Last edited by vara411; 05/28/20 09:58 AM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
V
vara411 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by TheWestman77

I had read about this on YouTube and tried to apply the same fix but location services was already switched to "on" on my iPad. :-/

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
M
M
Hey, have you had any luck since? My FP-10 is having this exact issue and Roland's support team has been unable to help so far.

I've tried turning on Bluetooth with Function + C#7, and factory resetting the piano and no changes have happened.
It used to, but now the function button doesn't flash 3 times when I turn it on.

M
M
UPDATE: I started a support ticket using Roland Backstage and they were able to walk me through the troubleshooting and confirmed it's not a user error.

They referred me to a local certified repair shop (Someone who's been trained by the Roland support team) who was able to fix it! They said it was a software issue. If anyone else has this issue, it needs to be resolved through the Roland support system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission