2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (CharlesXX, anotherscott, CyberGene, brdwyguy, clothearednincompo, c++, 10 invisible), 495 guests, and 560 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2981595 05/20/20 11:46 AM
C
OP Offline
C
quick introduction in my back ground of music - I started out playing rythem guitar and them started to play lead guitar, I do play some piano but mostly chords and shapes on the keys , I also have a good understanding of scales and music theory, but I have always wanted to play songs out of books, mostly rock and pop sheet music , so I decided to start from scratch I got piano adventures 2A 2B and I am working thought them better than I thought I would do, I don't really care for the type of music in the book but i am happy to learn and improve , I try and sight read the sheet music first so I read the notes out on each clef as i try and play the notes on the piano , but i can only do this at a snail pace , after that I go back and just try following the notes in there intervals, I can do this more faster but i don't hit every note or do everything right on the first play thought, so i keep playing it over until it sounds good but not 100% perfect , so my question ere am i using the book right? my main goal is to improve my sight reading and improve my piano playing , Some times its hard to see the improvements being made .

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Hi, Colette! It's best to maintain speed at which you make no mistakes no matter how slow it is. Patience is the key. wink

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
is your query how to improve sight reading material at first sight, or how to get better reading material you are learning in general?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Hi, Colette! It's best to maintain speed at which you make no mistakes no matter how slow it is. Patience is the key. wink

+1 Good advice for all practicing, speed is one of those things that develops on it own as you progress. As Howard Robert would say... If you make mistakes practicing, you are practicing making mistakes. Even pro players say they practice slow to develop precision and build muscle memory.

S
S

That’s also been my experience. You often hear people say “maintain tempo regardless of mistakes”. That’s fine if you are a good reader just making occasional mistakes, but it’s not helpful if you’ve just completely lost the plot in the piece due to your reading foundations not being strong enough.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scirocco

That’s also been my experience. You often hear people say “maintain tempo regardless of mistakes”. That’s fine if you are a good reader just making occasional mistakes, but it’s not helpful if you’ve just completely lost the plot in the piece due to your reading foundations not being strong enough.
The point of this advice is that the rhythm is more important than the notes. I always start by tapping out the whole piece on my knees, each hand tapping its own rhythm. It helps tremendously.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Improvements in sight reading take a very long time (years), but I can attest that if you keep doing it every day you will progress. Have lots of easy music lying around and read a bit every day.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think there is a miscommunication here on what "sight reading" is and so that's why you're getting different advice. The term refers specifically to a kind of reading where you read it up to tempo "at first sight". This is usually repertoire that is below your level of playing. It draws upon having played enough music that has similar rhythmic and note values that you're not so much reading the notes are you are recognizing those familiar patterns. So a beginner shouldn't work on sight reading, but simply learning as much music as they can play well.

Reading music notation, however, is usually repertoire you are trying to learn and is at or slightly above your current level of playing. There may be new ideas and patterns here, so this is where going very slowly is most helpful, and then it gradually increases tempo as it gets easier over a period of a week or several weeks.

Colette2: which of these two definitions were you asking about?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ubu Offline
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Improvements in sight reading take a very long time (years), but I can attest that if you keep doing it every day you will progress. Have lots of easy music lying around and read a bit every day.
Exactly, years. So one must be patient and pravtice day after day

J
J
I have been using a Fake book of classical tunes . Only one - line music of the main tunes . I tried it for the first time today . I have never practised scales and at 78 don`t feel guilty about that . I played violin since I was ten . My question obliquely relevant to this topic is whether my fingering will gradually fall into place in the way I type this message . Mainly I type with both middle fingers . Using the piano I use 4 fingers and thumb on my right hand . Would I improve if I started playing those same pieces with my left hand alone to teach those fingers note spacing ?So for sight reading beginners , some Scarlatti and Bach gives a feel for the spacing of piano notes . Bach especially knew how to reinforce the scales he composed in .
Early sight reading is , predicting / guessing the notes /hearing the notes, finding the physical piano key , remembering the musical key ,choosing the finger to play it , and if you already know the tune , trying to keep a musical phrasing with maybe sensible stresses . That`s already seven/eight things to work on simultaneously . But not too irrelevant . Treat it like bricklaying . Don`t worry about speed at all to begin with .Musical phrases are the building blocks to think about . Just a line at a time . ( Then double check the internet to learn some musical key fingering relevant to the pieces played .) Or think about those seven /eight aspects rather than be vaguely confused .

J
J
Second thoughts overnight about learning scales and fingering . Learning the scales will train you to know which black notes are included in each key. There was a resistance to knowing the key signatures and wanting all the sharps and flats scattered onto the page. That would be a total mess .
So the physical practice of scales will avoid delays in reading the notes and knowing where to play the black notes
Strange how familiar this resistance occurs with complete novices who crave a method that will be much slower and harder .
Start with a scale with one flat . Look at the keyboard.Remember to play that black note instead of a white note. Then develop outwards with more sharps and flats . But learn where the first note of each scale begins . Scales have their uses .
So there are more than 7 or eight things to think of. More like ten or eleven .

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,923
Posts3,093,370
Members101,516
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission