2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (barbaram, beeboss, Anglagard44, Calavera, clothearednincompo, CraiginNZ, 8opus, 15 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 45 1 2 42 43 44 45
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I think he has approached manufacturers and asked for 'review units' and he has been refused. He's turned that into a positive in a sense by saying he's spent his own money on whatever it is.

Did he say this anywhere? I've been following him for a while and have never heard him talk about review units--all the digitals he's purchased with his own money, and all the acoustics he's reviewed have been done at piano shops or private residences.

But I got the distinct impression that he felt very indignant that certain manufacturers didn't fall at his feet.

I got that sense from his Stuart and Sons rant. It seems he was definitely slighted for some reason by Wayne Stuart, but he really took it over the top with his "Why does Stuart and Sons hate me?" bit.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
P
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
...It's the first time I hear the PX-S3000 being referred to as "arranger". I think it's simply a stage piano with many other sounds, maybe some effects, etc., so oriented more towards gigging, but it's still a piano...
Well, it has 200 built-in rhythms + auto-accompaniment for each rhythm (each with a variation) with 6 ways to control chords, + intros + endings + one touch preset for each rhythm,
310 built-in melodic presets (including chord progressions), an arpeggiator with 100 types of arpeggios, auto-harmonizator with 12 types of auto-harmonizations, and a DSP with the chain of up to 4 effect modules where you can configure what effect you want in each module and then you can tweak the parameters of each used effect, and there are even 2 knobs to tweak some parameters while playing. And the wheel, of course. And an expression pedal support.
Yes, and 700 sounds, where piano sounds are produced by an improved 2nd generation AiR engine and all the other sounds - by AiX engine, hyped as "an important leap in terms of quality, realism and expressiveness of the sound".
Simply a stage piano? Or rather almost Tyros or Genos but with 88 keys smile

Last edited by Parkher; 05/15/20 05:16 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I owned a PX-S3000. For me, the interface and lack of any realistic Rhodes sounds were bigger negatives than the action and I'm so much happier I moved away from the Casio.

The interface has cool touch buttons and they work just fine, but there were many quirks with its hierarchy menus and felt the Casio engineers should of made it more user friendly. Also, they could of thought out what was best for the default settings.

AvantGrand N2 | ES110 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
P
P
Originally Posted by 36251
I owned a PX-S3000. For me, the interface and lack of any realistic Rhodes sounds were bigger negatives than the action and I'm so much happier I moved away from the Casio.

1. The interface: much better interface is on an iOS/android tablet. No comparison whatsoever.
But it does not handle the DSP with effect modules. To modify effect chains and to tweak the effect parameters you need to use the keyboard itself.

2. Rhodes - I think here, a few pages back, instructions were posted how to make much better Rhodes? By removing/changing/tweaking those DSP effects.

Last edited by Parkher; 05/15/20 05:25 PM.
_
_
Originally Posted by Doug M.
There you have another critical factor in its favour: the price. It's retailing at £415 compared to £470 for the ES110. Also, you can't run the ES110 on batteries.
So lets say you want to play piano at a wedding being held on a beach with no power supply, and you don't want to carry a huge batter pack with AC socket.
So what you're sacrificing is some action quality for the benefit of being able to carry a fairly light weight stand and one 14 kg board 800 meters from the reception area to the beach where you're playing. It could be just you doing the carrying, so that's two trips just to carry the stand and then the board. Plus, carrying a heavy battery that far twice (there and back) is a hassel. What if you're doing that twice a week in summer? ...

I think the wee speakers aren't up to wedding parties. They can work for a group of your pals the beach, on a quiet night. They don't sound good for solo practice, maybe if you're against a wall, haven't tried that (I recall another DP with down-firing speakers sounded better after carpet removal).
Yes it has more sounds and some arranging stuff that others mostly don't include in entry DPs - may bundle only in higher models or have kicked them out into an app (Roland) or only include that in synth-styled arrangers. I'm curious why others don't try to sell some more sounds and arranger in another 200bucks+ model with exact same hardware, wouldn't cost'em much as the sounds are already inthere (FP30 exmaple) and arranger functions don't cost them a dime either.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Memory costs. Nord has sounds to download.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I think he has approached manufacturers and asked for 'review units' and he has been refused. He's turned that into a positive in a sense by saying he's spent his own money on whatever it is.

Did he say this anywhere? I've been following him for a while and have never heard him talk about review units--all the digitals he's purchased with his own money, and all the acoustics he's reviewed have been done at piano shops or private residences.

Yes I believe he has referenced that he asked for gifts/loans of digital pianos and was refused.

So yes, he's used his own money - which in itself raises questions because he's equipped his 'recording studio' with some very tasty and expensive gear. It's pretty hard to make money from recording studios which is why there are only a small number of them left now. I'm not aware of anything that looks like normal commercial activity going on at this studio so where does the money come from? We might all define 'work' in slightly different ways but do any of us get the impression he's ever done a day's proper graft in his life yet?

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

But I got the distinct impression that he felt very indignant that certain manufacturers didn't fall at his feet.

I got that sense from his Stuart and Sons rant. It seems he was definitely slighted for some reason by Wayne Stuart, but he really took it over the top with his "Why does Stuart and Sons hate me?" bit.

Gombessa, I’ve also watched a couple, ok maybe more than a couple, but definitely not every one of his videos, and never got the sense he asked manufacturers to provide him with units. He just says he gets a discount from certain dealers for buying so many units. Are you speculating here? If he has actually asked manufacturers and I’m mistaken, I stand to be corrected.

As for the Wayne Stuart issue, hey, I’d feel slighted too. Not because Wayne refused his review, but because he rudely told JPS off in an email for asking. The email Wayne wrote him was very rude indeed. JPS read it aloud on one of his videos and I think he had good reason to feel slighted. Now, would other YouTubers air their dirty laundry out in the open like he did and start a public spat with someone in the industry? Some would, some wouldn’t (think revenue stream). He chose to do so. We can argue whether he should’ve or not but I think that’s beyond this thread.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Yes I believe he has referenced that he asked for gifts/loans of digital pianos and was refused.

So yes, he's used his own money - which in itself raises questions because he's equipped his 'recording studio' with some very tasty and expensive gear. It's pretty hard to make money from recording studios which is why there are only a small number of them left now. I'm not aware of anything that looks like normal commercial activity going on at this studio so where does the money come from? We might all define 'work' in slightly different ways but do any of us get the impression he's ever done a day's proper graft in his life yet?

Sorry but that’s just a lot of speculating. He obviously makes due somehow, and I also wonder how he makes his money but I’m not sure what that has got to do with anything.

Kawai K-500
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Being a YouTuber is significant income to many these days.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Gombessa, I’ve also watched a couple, ok maybe more than a couple, but definitely not every one of his videos, and never got the sense he asked manufacturers to provide him with units. He just says he gets a discount from certain dealers for buying so many units. Are you speculating here? If he has actually asked manufacturers and I’m mistaken, I stand to be corrected.

I assume you were referring to EssBrace and not me with this comment?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

I assume you were referring to EssBrace and not me with this comment?

Yes, sorry! My mistake.

Kawai K-500

I had never heard of Stuart and Sons before watching his video and will most definitely never consider them now. I think whether or not JPS went over the top with his rebuttal (he did a little) is besides the point. For the owner of Stuart and Sons to send JPS that email was incredibly stupid of him. Perhaps he just couldn't help himself. There are a million other ways he could have declined the request. Did he honestly expect JPS to crawl into a corner tucking his tail between this legs?

Now every time someone googles Stuart and Sons, JPS's video about them will come up. He has done considerable damage to his company's image. Especially in the piano world where brand recognition is paramount.

Currently: Yamaha P-515 | Kawai K300
Previously: Yamaha DGX-660
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
JPS emailed Wayne Stuart asking him if there were any of his pianos in California that he could try.

Wayne Stuart sent a nasty, rude reply stating not only that he wouldn't assist, but also stating that he thought JPS's videos were garbage.

Being an Australian - the parlance used strongly suggests that W.S. was under the influence of mind altering substances.

Last edited by Burkie; 05/15/20 09:49 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
T
T
I just watched the take-apart video, and it’s 20 minutes I can’t get back. Ultimately, we all know that Casio chose to make compromises with the pivot length of action in order to make the keyboard depth as short as possible. That’s it. Serious piano and keyboard players want longer pivots, Casio made some design choices for its target market. I bought a PX-S3000 knowing the pivot length is short, and I can live with it because the overall value of the instrument is very, very good. Would I have appreciated it if they made all the keys two inches longer and had separate pivot points with the fulcrum of the black keys pushed back a bit, sure. How much would that add to the cost of building the instrument?

I had been holding out for the update that Mike Martin hinted at to the PX-5S. It will likely come with this same keybed, and Casio will keep its longer-pivot length actions for is Grand Hybrid line. Will they revisit that decision with their next model line revision? Depends on sales, which so far seem to be doing very well for the new models from what Mike is saying.

This guy’s videos are a bit of a tempest in a teapot in my opinion. I appreciate that the kid is trying hard and is independent, but he comes across as a bit of an arrogant, young, know-it-all, all the while making some very basic mistakes, like recording the sound mic’d through a horrible amp rather than direct, calling the hammers “weights,” etc. The biggest issue I have with him is censoring the comments on his YouTube channel. He could learn a lot from people whose comments he censored and make his reviews better in the future. His independence and willingness to criticize a manufacturer is more than undermined by his own inability to take personal criticism.

I wonder if Mike Martin has a James Pavel Shawcross voodoo doll?

Also, regarding Wayne Stuart. What I’ve read is that the Stuart & Sons pianos are incredibly good, possibly the best made today. Stuart probably has a long waiting list for his pianos and cannot sell more than he already makes. He doesn’t give a [censored] about what some American teenager thinks about anything, and said so.

This kids apparently grew up in a family that owns a piano showroom and knows somebody that has a studio of some kind that he can use so long as he gives them a shout out in his videos. He’s trying to make some money off advertising on YouTube clicks. He brings something different to the table, but is not doing himself any favors, either.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by DaveLang
I'm really enjoying the flexibility the Casio offfers with all of its sound processing ability. We should be able to craft sounds with this instrument. Once you've worked and assigned the PX-S3000 knobs, it's hard to give these up. There's so much you can do here.

--------> How do you "assign the knobs" on the PX-S3000? I've had mine about 10 days and have no idea how to do this. I am not good at layers/pages/windows or whatever one properly terms the buried tweaking capabilities. I have zero idea how to even save the keybed "light" 1 or 2 touch responses. I have to re-do everything each time I turn it on.

Thanks, Jeff Newton

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rintincop
iPhone 6 working for o me and Chordana . I loaded my favorite classical pieces into the user memory of my S3000

--------------> Do you mean you loaded MIDI files for these pieces? I'm a Jazz saxophonist and pianist. This might be a good way for me to learn some classical piano. Where does one get these MIDI files? Also, did you load them into the piano or the app? Thanks, Jeff Newton

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I've had the Casio PXS-3000 for a couple of weeks now, and find it generally great but find the action heavy, even aside from the pivot issue. Is there any alternative that is as light and portable? Or, is there anyway to lighten the action (I don't mean the touch response)? I have to schlep the thing inside and outside once or 2x per day to practice in the yard where I live, and eventually back in NYC when that place is safe, which means subways, etc. Although the EP sounds generally suck, apparently there is a fix posted, ante, that I will try. The main and stage AP sounds are fine. A few of the other sounds are also fine, amidst the clutter and virtually un-navigatable button-less hierarchy. Thanks.

_
_
> Is there any alternative that is as light and portable?

Check Kawai ES110.

> is there anyway to lighten the action

Well noone made a video of cutting half of the hammer weights off so far wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _sem_
> Is there any alternative that is as light and portable?

Check Kawai ES110.

> is there anyway to lighten the action

Well noone made a video of cutting half of the hammer weights off so far wink

That's right.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
Page 44 of 45 1 2 42 43 44 45

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,311
Posts3,118,013
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission