2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Quarterly Recital #58!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #58 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #58 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music!

Sam

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks Sam!

I already spotted some of my favorite pieces that I'm going to listen to first!

Saraband in D Minor. Still playing this piece often. Wonderful silences between the notes. Not easy at all to play well.

La Fille aux cheveux de lin. Wonderful piece, brings back good memories. Haven't played this for some time. Typical debussy hand stretching stuff.

Of Foreign Lands and Peoples. Just a fun piece with some nostalgic touches.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato

Your Rachmaninoff, what a start to the recital. Beautiful.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
07. Peterws - A Pensive Place

Wonderful, a beautiful composition and so well played.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sam,

Thanks for the Aria from Goldbergs. I very much enjoyed your utube video! I just started on it yesterday, from the Schirmer edition as well. Expect to struggle on this....but what can I do, the mountain beckons. laugh

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Sam,

Thanks for the Aria from Goldbergs. I very much enjoyed your utube video! I just started on it yesterday, from the Schirmer edition as well. Expect to struggle on this....but what can I do, the mountain beckons. laugh

The ornaments are the big obstacle. Once I got an idea what to do I started reading from a version without the ornaments written out - much easier to read. But it was a slow process of going one measure at a time. I had to leave out the LH ornament in bar 17 - doing ornaments in both hands at the same time is a bridge too far... And I had a lot of trouble with the last 5 bars. It was difficult to break a bad habit of holding the left hand notes - none of them are held, just the RH notes.

Good luck!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
54. Sam. Nicely played Sam. I've always loved this piece. In fact it's the only piece of Bach I still play. (I got maybe 4 variations in). I try to play it a few times a week as it seems to ground me. The only thing I add to it is a little pedal. I know that traditionalists insist it should be played dry but I can't help myself. It seems more alive to me with pedal. Not alot, but just a bit. I still try to hold the notes as written. The other thing I do different is change on the repeat. What I like to do in the first section is go up an octive with the right hand. Half way through, just after the roll, measure 9, I come back down. I forget which pianist I heard do this but I like the feel. In the second section I will sometimes move the left hand down an octave. Not as effective but fun none the less. In the Schirmer edition (I have a few different ones) there is a beautiful quote by Sir Thomas Browne (who ever that is) that really sets the scene for me.

"There is something in it of Divinity more than the ear discovers: it is in Hieroglyphical and shadowed lesson of the whole world, and creatures of God; such a melody to the ear, as the whole world, well understood, would afford the understanding. In brief, it is a sensible fit of that harmony which intellectually sounds in the ears of God"

Last edited by Peyton; 05/15/20 08:32 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
38. Kevin. I had to go here right off. First off I love the Ballade and second, well it's got to be a tough piece to play and especially to play well. You really do an AMAZING job with it. I couldn't begin to play the piece much less the way you do but the killer for me would have to be the end. You work your way through this really tough piece and then at the end, just wating for you, are the toughest parts of all. Those runs look frightening. My only additional comment is...you deserve a big beautiful grand piano the way you play. Bravo!!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Peyton nice. How did you create the sound at 1:09 a split second before 1:10 (2 short identical notes with a weird sound)? It sounds like a partially dampened string or so.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Peyton +1, Nice (edit for clarity, I'm referring to his comment on Kevin), I'd like to hear this played on a nice grand.

Last edited by wouter79; 05/15/20 09:11 AM.

I was so looking forward to listening to all submissions and now I can begin...

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato This is such an excellent intro for this recital! I maybe will eventually learn to like Rachmaninoff. I enjoyed your playing very much, it was also a perfect moody movie-sound-track for rainy Friday.

03. Gombessa - Frozen 2 - Show Yourself Welcome to your first recital! Beautiful first entry! I think it’s a wonderful reason to get back to making music – to make it for and with your children.

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4 You made it sound so easy (I know it’s not). I love the second sweet piece. As usual, classy submission! I listened twice!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I was unable to comment on the last recital, because we were pretty overwhelmed with home remodel projects. This time with the lockdown I have lots of time!

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- ModeratoThis is quite different from the Rachmoninoff pieces that I am familiar with. There is so much going on. You played it beautifully. I like your pensive pacing. The piece really sings.

02. Calavera - b] Roses of May - Beautiful piece. I can see how you could fall in love with it. Gorgeous work on those long flowing arpeggios! There is a lot of passion in this piece that you bring out well. Nice use of the dynamic range.

03. Gombessa - Frozen 2 - Show Yourself I love your video with the inset from the movie, and the mirrored effect. You played the piece beautifully.

04. MarieJ - The Family This is a very pensive piece, similar to Einaudi. Very relaxing. You played it well, bringing out the searching melody over the accompaniment.

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4I can see why the first piece took a lot of work. It is a very busy piece and you did well with it. I like the Bittendes Kinder very much. You gave it the soft, pleading sound that captures the title.

06. Greta99 - Elizabeth I can see the young girl skipping along in your playing! You gave the piece a light, gently touch, capturing the scene perfectly.

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place Perfect lockdown music! I like the piano sound that you chose. It has a nice, rich base, like a Bosie! I enjoyed the sheet music to follow along on your video. Your composing talent is impressive, as well as your playing.

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody Classic lilting Grieg sound! I thought your ornaments were very nice, and added to that lilting feeling. Nicely played.

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation) Very nice contrast between the sections. There is peace in pensiveness in the the opening, drive and determination in the second, etherial, floating in the third, returning to building drive to the end. You took me on a journey. Beautifully played.

10. Sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Thanksgiving This is a great choice for the lockdown that many of us are experiencing. It is a reminder of family and happier times. You play it beautifully. I like your arrangement. I have never played any George Winston. Maybe I will add some to my repertoire after hearing this.

11. Ido - k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile You have captured the classic Mozart sound in this. You have a crisp, light touch that is perfect for the piece. Nice playing.

12. JJHLH - Prelude in E flat minor, Op. 16, No. 4 Very expressive playing! This is not a piece that I have heard before, and is gentler than most of the Scriabin I have heard. Nice dynamics.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Peyton nice. How did you create the sound at 1:09 a split second before 1:10 (2 short identical notes with a weird sound)? It sounds like a partially dampened string or so.

I've heard it too but not exceptionally pleased by it. You may be right that it's a partially dampened string. Just some kind of strange percussive sound. Certainly not doing it on purpose... But if you like it I'll take credit for it... smile

I didn't comment at all last recital, listened to everything and enjoyed, but didn't have time to write any thoughtful comments. I will try to do better this time, because I do so appreciate effort to put it together and everyone's work put in to participate. I don't think I can comment on each piece, still trying to work with my left hand smile , but these two stood out:

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation) Liked it much better than original. Glad you went for it without caution. Very enjoyable listen!

11. Ido - k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile Are you sure your experience is only 3 years and a bit? I listened very carefully to every note – you made me. You played it with such care and sensibility, nothing is out place and everything is well in the world.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4

Excellent job with both pieces! I just started learning Hasche-Mann and I get tangled fingers from those fast soft staccato notes, you keep a great pace!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to everyone who's submitted a recording! I am really looking forward to hearing all the pieces. I think I'm up to #6 so far, everything is really lovely! And a great way to head into the weekend!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
04. MarieJ - The Family

A lovely memory of Monica! This reminds me of Philip Glass - very beautiful, thank you!

I listened to few more pieces, here are some notes

15. Serge88 - Theme from New York, New York What a way to put a smile on someone’s face. From start to end – so good! Thank you!

23. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Skyfall I’m glad you are contributing; I like mixed styles and levels here. Your performance is very impressive, great choice of music too.

24. pianistamy - Bluebird I really liked your submission, the music and you performance. I liked how clear and free it felt. I listened to it twice and the second time was even better.

25. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 20 in G major, 2nd mvmt What a story to go with the piece. It was an experience to listen to it after reading about your adventures at the seas. I expected to hear wind and creaking of the masts. Your performance is playful, crispy clear and of very good sound quality. Lovely piano too!

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats to all the participants! I'm also planning on listening through everyone's contributions, it will be a very pleasant way to round out the weekend smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by sinophilia
05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4

Excellent job with both pieces! I just started learning Hasche-Mann and I get tangled fingers from those fast soft staccato notes, you keep a great pace!

Martha Argerich has a recording at 26 seconds, mine is 40 and after listening to Argerich's mine sounds like a funeral procession. Give me 10 years and I might be able to achieve 30 seconds with fewer unintended jumps in dynamics.

Note to self, do not compare yourself to the goddess that is Argerich, this way lies madness.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission