2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 191 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 190 191
P
P
Originally Posted by Pilito
The excessive reverb does not change by changing the ambience. I tried! smile Again, I'm a little sensitive to excessive reverb. Others may not have this issue.
Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to provide also the firmware version with this problem.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
Does the optical sensor provide an enhancement to the playing experience over the rubber?
I saw a CS11 has this property so was weighing up if that makes it worth it over the older sound samples?
Thanks
The CS11 doesn‘t have optical sensors either, if that‘s what you mean. It has the same (or very similar) rubber switches.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Pilito,

Regarding your query:

I'm looking at the Startup Settings and I'm confused about two options:
1. Current - The digital piano will always start-up with the current (at the time of selection) instrument settings.
2. Power Off - The digital piano will always start-up with the settings that were used when the instrument was turned-off.

They seem almost the same to me. Is there a subtle difference that I'm not understanding?

"Current" refers to the settings that you're using at that specific time. When this type is selected, the currently selected settings will be automatically applied every time the instrument is turned on.
"Power Off" refers to the settings that were used just before the instrument was turned off. So, if you were playing a Classic EP sound just before turning the piano off, when the piano is turned on again Classic EP and any associated settings will be automatically recalled.

[quote=Pilito]Reason is, when I start my piano I want to use the last sound setting I used with its customizations. For example, I want to always use SX-EX | Concert with Room reverb. Thanks.

So, in this case, you would select SK-EX | Concert with Room reverb, then change the Startup Setting to "Current". Now every time the piano is turned on, it will startup with SK-EX | Concert sound and Room reverb.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
The excessive reverb does not change by changing the ambience. I tried! smile Again, I'm a little sensitive to excessive reverb. Others may not have this issue.

Does the characteristic of this sound change when adjusting the "Resonance Depth" Virtual Technician parameter?

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
I tried changing many parameters in Virtual Technician, including Resonance Depth. None of them had any effect on the excessive reverb. It would be nice to have a reverb setting (like with other sound options) so the user can reduce the amount of reverb in Rendering sound. I have always been sensitive to reverb and have always reduced that setting in other digital pianos I have owned/tried. also note that the Ambience setting does not change the reverb much at all.

I am running the latest firmware.

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
Pilito, it's my understanding that, when using SK-EX Rendering sounds, the Reverb processing is replaced by Ambiance. So, if Ambiance is turned off, no additional reverberation will be applied.

This suggests to me that what you're hearing is not reverb, but another characteristic of the SK-EX Rendering sound engine.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
Hi all,

I've had my CA99 EP for 4 days now and have been able to play it more since my 1st day comments.

Overall, still love it (touch, sound and look !) and I can say this is a great instrument, both for classical and jazz music and it really allows finest control and nuances (recently playing Schubert Impromptu Op.142 n.3 and it is just pure pleasure on the CA99).
My objectives are all achieved with this piano: be able to enjoy (i.e. experience pleasure) playing a nice piano, without disturbing the rest of my family. This digital piano is definitely much better than any average accoustic piano ! Even without headphones, the sound is just excellent and beautiful.

Of course not fully perfect but overall top top top.
The SK EK rendering is outstanding (i am a bit disappointed by other piano sounds which sound like really honky tonky in comparison, but after all the SK EK is just so nice, why bothering with the others !).

I have updated all the softwares reading the pdf manual and using youtube demonstration of a UK dealer on how to run the update. It was very quick and very smooth. Just pay attention that depending on which soft you update, you have to put the USB stick either on the back or on the front.

Apart from this, I have detected a small mechanical issue with my sustain pedal (which by the way are all too shorts ... they could have done longer pedals !!!). Sometimes (once out of 10-20), when i release it i can hear a mechanical noise (like oil is missing). Probably an easy fix if one can access to the pedal mechanism (given the weight of the piano i doubt i can ask my wife to lift and hold it while i look for where to put some oil) !!!

Finally, i would like to post pictures and videos but i don't know how to do on this forum, it seems we can only post url links but i dont have any youtube or website with my photos/videos (just saved in my PC).

Owner of Kawai CA99 EP (May 2020)
Yamaha P-120S (15y ago)
Young Chang E118 accoustic (30y ago ...)
Hello ag_jazz_piano, thank you for the update.

I'm pleased to read that you are enjoying your new CA99EP!

Regarding the mechanical noise of the sustain pedal, please double check that the pedal support bolt beneath the pedals is fully lowered (by turning anti-clockwise) and touching the floor firmly.

PianoWorld does allow members to upload pictures, however I tend to use a free image hosting service such as imgbb.com whenever I need to upload images or screenshots etc.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
T
Ok, thank for the info I really appreciate it 🙂 glad you are enjoying you new piano.

Im pretty OCD so little clicks would bother me for the amount of money involved.

P
P
I tried changing many parameters in Virtual Technician, including Resonance Depth. None of them had any effect on the excessive reverb. It would be nice to have a reverb setting (like with other sound options) so the user can reduce the amount of reverb in Rendering sound. I have always been sensitive to reverb and have always reduced that setting in other digital pianos I have owned/tried. also note that the Ambience setting does not change the reverb much at all.

I am running the latest firmware.
Are you sure you hear this ringing only in SK-EX Rendering and not in all SK-EX Concert Grand variations?
Perhaps it is present in the samples, but SK-EX Rendering somehow makes it more noticeable?
Besides, SK-EX Rendering perhaps uses different samples, or at least more of them, recorded from more microphones.
I would not be surprised if that ringing is in the samples, it might be in the sampled grand itself - you just get an authentic sound as in the real thing.
For example, Faziolis are known for stuff like that, very difficult to tune cleanly, to get rid of certain beating in trebles. You know, when even a single string is beating with itself while oscillating in different planes at different frequencies.
In fact, I have a sampled Fazioli where imperfections of the acoustic grand are retained in the samples.

Last edited by Parkher; 05/12/20 08:23 AM.
D
D
Hello!

I love my CA79 but the volume on headphones seems low even when setting is changed to high. I have DT990 Pro headphones with 250ohms so is this too high?

I may order some AKG K240 headphones which have 55 ohms, do you think these will work better?

R
R
Thanks Parkher and Kawai James for your responses:

Note I changed my profile name from Pilito to RCKFlorida! smile

The ringing I hear is only in the SK-EX Rendering selection. I don't hear it in any other SK-EX sounds, such as SK-EX Concert. I tried other sound options and I don't hear that ringing effect. I have tried adjusting all the settings in the Rendering sound with little affect in the ringing after effect. Maybe in a future software release they might this ringing effect or at least give us a setting where I can adjust it.

On a different note, Sennheiser has the HD 660S on sale for 399.95 (normally 499.95)!

Robert

G
G
New video but missleading on one point:

Or did't know that the new CA99 uses a REAL grand piano keyboard:

Galuwen

And here's the new Yugo, made to ride just like a Maserati !

[Linked Image]

Don't you just love those honest marketing folks!

S
S
Originally Posted by David2519
Hello!

I love my CA79 but the volume on headphones seems low even when setting is changed to high. I have DT990 Pro headphones with 250ohms so is this too high?

I may order some AKG K240 headphones which have 55 ohms, do you think these will work better?
Well, I've got 250 Ohms 770s, and they are loud more than enough. am using them with half the volume. but perhaps my Loud and your Loud are different smile. I also have Sennheiser 599s (50 Ohms) and would take 770s any time.

R
R
So after further investigation it turns out it is me!! The CA79 piano is fine. smile

I happen to have a Yamaha C2X in my living room so I decided to play the song that was causing me grief and observed that I'm also hearing that ringing noise. LOL It must be my tinnitus acting up! But the discussion was fun.

So I decided to leave it on the SX-EX Rendering sound with no adjustments. It is the sound setting that is most similar to my C2X. smile

Robert

Z
Z
Hi everyone. New member here, although I’ve been a lurker for quite some time. I ordered my CA99SB just a couple of days ago. I’m really excited to receive it! I will be sure to post here after I have had a chance to use my new purchase for a bit. Whether it’s positive or negative, I believe in truth and transparency, guided by data that I have obtained firsthand.

One thought for those of you that are on the edge of purchase... I come from a background in manufacturing and “issues” can always happen with any product. For this reason, I’m not too concerned about problems. The Kawai warranty should cover anything unexpected with my inbound instrument. Even billion dollar companies have their issues. But they don’t become a big name by producing bad products and not listening to customers. Even after reading every post in PW about the Kawai CA series, I’m still confident in my purchase. You’ll find more times than not, people are always ready to report criticism rather than praise. So I don’t believe this thread to be an accurate representation of all CA series users. My suggestion is to try out the product if/when you can. If you like it, buy it! If not, buy something else.

I make this post because I continue to see negative opinions and speculation from several folks who aren’t part of the owners’ club. It’s too bad the direction this thread has taken. I found the “ignore” feature to be useful and have used it on a couple of users. Seriously, did a pic of a car help add anything of value here? These people just continue to litter this thread with trash and add nothing of value to the actual owners. I suggest trying this feature! Just click on their username and press the “Ignore User”, it’s that easy.

For those of you who are actual owners, please continue to keep all of us updated on the positives and negatives, as well as any resolutions made for you by Kawai or their dealers. It’s really a big help. Thanks to all of you who provide constructive reviews and criticism of your product and experience.

@KawaiJames: would Kawai consider making a spot/forum in its website for verified owners? I worked for a MFG company of industrial structural metal and electronic 3D printers. While our products had their issues, and they were plenty, having a forum where verified users could collaborate was extremely useful to both the customers and our company. We were able to take the feedback from posts, where some users may not have called in to ask if it was an issue. It wasn’t publicly available, but the dialogue among customers really added value to the feeling of being a customer and having a voice. I’m in the semiconductor field now; I no longer work with “customers”, per se, so I can’t comment on how much it is still being used, or not. But it was a great addition to the Customer Support hotline that we had. It has become increasingly difficult to decipher the useful information here, from the fragmented debris that the wonderful pot-stirrers continue to post. It has really derailed any sort of useful dialogue here. As you can see, this thread certainly isn’t an “owners’ club”.

Anyhow, just my $0.02. I hope all is well with everyone and that you and your families have good health, even the non-owning naysayers. smile

F
F
Hi all, I just bought a CA99 to be delivered in a few weeks, and ... I think I can only play chopsticks or Twinkle Twinkle. I play oboe, flute and cello and I play with my friends who do play piano. They know a good piano from a bad one. Once the "plague" is over we'll get back together and we can do chamber music. Meanwhile I can learn how to play piano. I have a few questions. I'm going to put this piano in my living room. I have space against the wall or I can set it away from the wall. I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing it with my back to everyone. My living room has a 20 ft. angled ceiling. I use my iPad to practice duets that are mostly midi files, not great. I had some idea I could route these files or maybe better quality through the piano. Not expecting the keys to move but for me it would be better to practice with the sound coming out of the piano. Is this possible?

Hello Pilioto Robert, welcome to the forum. wink

Originally Posted by RCKFlorida
So after further investigation it turns out it is me!! The CA79 piano is fine. smile

I happen to have a Yamaha C2X in my living room so I decided to play the song that was causing me grief and observed that I'm also hearing that ringing noise. LOL It must be my tinnitus acting up! But the discussion was fun.

So I decided to leave it on the SX-EX Rendering sound with no adjustments. It is the sound setting that is most similar to my C2X. smile

Thank you for the update. It's unfortunate to hear that you suffer from tinnitus, however I'm glad that you've gotten to the cause of the ringing sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello ZeusSig, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your thoughtful post.

Regarding your suggestion, I have consider this topic in the past, and I know that Kawai Europe maintains a German language forum on their website that can be a useful resource for customers.

Currently, Kawai staff are able to submit bug reports and user requests to R&D via a private online system. I've suggested to some colleagues that it be worthwhile opening up system to customers and other registered users, however we're perhaps not quite at that stage where everyone is onboard just yet.

But again, thank you for your suggestion, and for the dose of realism. wink

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 23 of 191 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission