2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 191 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 190 191
G
G
@ag-jazz-piano.
I’ve got a SH9 from Kawai France when I purchased my CA79 in March. It was a launch promotion but maybe it was extended due to the long confinement. Try to contact them.
The headset is very good. I already had a Sony 7506. The only notable difference is that Kawai is a half open back design.
PS. I think that all EP pianos are produced in Indonesia but finished in Japan

K
K
Originally Posted by ag_jazz_piano
Short background, I am an amateur pianist, intermediate level, classical education (love Bach and Schumann) and enjoy playing jazz as well (real book standards). I used to play a Yamaha P-120S purchased in Japan
As i have ordered my CA99 without being able to try any recent digital piano and i must admit i was a bit anxious about the sound and most of all the touch of this piano as i read in many articles that Kawai's touch was lighter than Yamaha.

Well, to sum it up, i am very impressed with this piano, the look is stunning (no regret with the additional price for the EP), the sound is great (especially the bass) and the touch is really really great ! I played both with and without headphones. Without headphones, when you put the volume loud enough, same as with the headphones, you are just dreamming and it feels like a playing a grand piano !

That's great news, ag_jazz_piano!

I too have a Yamaha P-120S! It has developed broken keys (replacing them soon), but I have been researching intensely for a replacement with better action since the P-120S is now 20 years old. smile It is great to hear from somebody who has gone to the Kawai CA79/99 from the P-120S and felt like it was heaven.

I have started the hunt for a good deal on a CA79 in the US, and now I feel more confident than ever!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
I
I
Can anyone comment on the quality of the speakers when used as a high quality hi-fi to play music?
I've seen comments that they were underwhelmed by the bass levels.
The nearest thing I have to a hifi is an Amazon Alexa lol. Should I expect better quality than that?

R
R
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
Can anyone comment on the quality of the speakers when used as a high quality hi-fi to play music?
The nearest thing I have to a hifi is an Amazon Alexa lol. Should I expect better quality than that?

The CA99 sounds really good when I played YouTube music videos from my phone. But you're not going to get booming bass. You have to consider the size of the soundboard. It's pretty small. I wonder what it would sound like when played through a huge soundboard like a grand piano size.

I
I
Thanks, ah so a soundbar would probably out do it then

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by richdinoso

The CA99 sounds really good when I played YouTube music videos from my phone. But you're not going to get booming bass. You have to consider the size of the soundboard. It's pretty small. I wonder what it would sound like when played through a huge soundboard like a grand piano size.
Have you turned off wall wq in piano settings? For me bass levels are great on CA98, I think it gives very natural bass characteristic

Roland LX708
R
R
Thanks, ah so a soundbar would probably out do it then

A soundbar... no that won't outdo the CA99, but a 12-inch sub would smile.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Have you turned off wall wq in piano settings? For me bass levels are great on CA98, I think it gives very natural bass characteristic
Typo, I meant wall eq.

Roland LX708
K
K
I would like to introduce myself as the newest member of the CA79/CA99 owner's club! I just completed a transaction on a CA79. Thanks to many, many of you fine people for your advice, perspectives, experiences, and "price paid" entries!

My first DP (and current DP) is a Yamaha P-120S. It's been idle for a couple of years due to the sticky key issue and because I became a care giver to my elderly parents who had to move in with me. But the piano has been calling me back and I've been inspired recently to make music again. I determined I needed an instrument that I could be excited about playing, and to me, that means a beautiful action. (I know that the Kawai GFIII action sometimes sparks controversy, and yes it is "sight unseen" due to COVID. However, chances are that the action is better than the 15+yo P-120S).

Special thanks to the posts by MacMacMac, whose posts have given frank advice for negotiating and dealing with .. well the dealers.

With any luck, the new CA79 should be under my fingers in 10 or so days!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
R
R
Well I got my piano yesterday and unfortunately I have the same issue as Galuwen. frown Noisy key at A4 but other keys also make less a plastic sound but not as much as A4. Plus C5 and D5 make a loud pitchy sound both through headphones and speakers.

Overall the piano is nice but having these issues is kind of a bummer.

Last edited by Pilito; 05/09/20 05:08 PM.

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
G
G
Originally Posted by Pilito
Well I got my piano yesterday and unfortunately I have the same issue as Galuwen. frown Noisy key at A4 but other keys also make less a plastic sound but not as much as A4. Plus C5 and D5 make a loud pitchy sound both through headphones and speakers.

Overall the piano is nice but having these issues is kind of a bummer.

Hello and first of all welcome to the "owners" club :-).

Do I understand, that with your piano the white keys are noisy?

I hope James is right and it is just a little thing and can be repaired.

I will update all in the forum on the progress with Kawai.

Unfortunately Kawai Germany is not available in the moment - advice in the German forum.

But I have good contact with my dealer and the are very experienced with Kawai Pianos.

So I hope they can fix it :-).

And how do you likge your piano?

Galuwen

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Pilito,

I'm sorry to read that one of the keys on your new piano is "noisy". It's not clear to me what is causing this issue, however I recommend that you seek assistance from your dealer and or Kawai America.

Originally Posted by Pilito
Plus C5 and D5 make a loud pitchy sound both through headphones and speakers.

May I ask if this occurs with one specific sound (e.g. SK-EX Rendering (Romantic), or all of the sounds?
I don't really understand what "loud pitchy" means, however if you hear this sound through headphones and speakers, it could perhaps be a characteristic captured in the original recording.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Hello Galuwen,

Originally Posted by Galuwen
Unfortunately Kawai Germany is not available in the moment - advice in the German forum.

I'm still waiting for you to respond to my query regarding the nature of your contact with Kawai Europe. Due to Covid-19, many companies are not fully operational at the moment, so it may take longer for your technical support request to be handled.

Please reply to my PM when you read this.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
I also discovered an issue with my CA79 - also with black keys. most of them, especially in the middle of keyboard make loud dull sound as they bounce back. the first octave of the black keys is quiet, then it gets very noisy and quiet again at the end of the keyboard. neighboring white keys are fine.

Anyone else experiencing that? no plastic clicks like Galuwen has though.

Another thing, there is also a minor issue with the felt towards the low keys - an inch or so stuck under the fallboard and does not show up. will post video and pictures tomorrow.

I dont care about the felt as much, but the bounce back noise is the reason I returned previous piano.

Would anyone advise what is the typical escalation process? do I contact Kawai US? I bought Piano online so dealer is in another state.

Would appreciate an advise.

G
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Galuwen,

I'm still waiting for you to respond to my query regarding the nature of your contact with Kawai Europe. Due to Covid-19, many companies are not fully operational at the moment, so it may take longer for your technical support request to be handled.

Please reply to my PM when you read this.

Kind regards,
James
x

I did yesterday...

G
G
Originally Posted by Sebastian FL
I also discovered an issue with my CA79 - also with black keys. most of them, especially in the middle of keyboard make loud dull sound as they bounce back. the first octave of the black keys is quiet, then it gets very noisy and quiet again at the end of the keyboard. neighboring white keys are fine.

Anyone else experiencing that? no plastic clicks like Galuwen has though.

Another thing, there is also a minor issue with the felt towards the low keys - an inch or so stuck under the fallboard and does not show up. will post video and pictures tomorrow.

I dont care about the felt as much, but the bounce back noise is the reason I returned previous piano.

Would anyone advise what is the typical escalation process? do I contact Kawai US? I bought Piano online so dealer is in another state.

Would appreciate an advise.

Is that dull Sound also present when you switch OFF the Piano? Stupid suggestion but maybe it is the release sample?

Galuwen

Last edited by Galuwen; 05/10/20 06:01 AM.
S
S
Is that dull Sound also present when you switch OFF the Piano? Stupid suggestion but maybe it is the release sample?

Galuwen

Yes, sound present with Piano off and is coming from the piano itself. it's so bad I hear it while playing with Beyerdynamic 770s.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Sebastian FL

Galuwen

Yes, sound present with Piano off and is coming from the piano itself. it's so bad I hear it while playing with Beyerdynamic 770s.
Please record it and share it here, I'm curious what this is.

Roland LX708
P
P
Horror stories...
Perhaps I can ask the store to check it out (and perhaps to fix it) before bringing to me?
I myself don't want to leave the house for the next two years at least, or until I drop dead, whichever comes first.
I have ordered CA99 EP and 2 of those:
[Linked Image]
I mean, the headphones, not twin sisters.
For aesthetic reasons. You know, to play duets on Kawai with Kawais smile
Their price at my store: 90 € each, including 21% VAT.

Last edited by Parkher; 05/10/20 01:39 PM.
I'm at a loss to understand buying $100 Kawai phones when you can get name brand phones for $100.

Page 20 of 191 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission