2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (Charline, brdwyguy, anotherscott, Alex C, An Old Square, 8ude, 17 invisible), 732 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm ready to buy a grand piano once we move into our new house in a couple of months. It's gonna be placed in a 5m x 6.5m open living area with 6m ceiling(void).
After doing a bit research, I've narrowed the choice down to Yamaha c3x and Kawai gx3 or possibly sk2. Most info I gathered on pricing are from the US, so I'm not too sure how much a price difference I should expect.
Here are a few question I have, any suggestions are appreciated.
1. Are these models suitable for the area I have?
2. 40% off retail price(not MSRP) achievable and reasonable for these models?
3. I'm based in Brisbane, is it a bad idea to buy from interstate retailer?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hopefully one of our Australian contributors will see this and help. I’m pretty sure the US market prices will bear little resemblance to your market prices, and from what I’ve been told, not in a good way...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
C
C
I'm in Adelaide, so no expert on Brisbane.

Here in Adelaide, we have two piano shops worth looking at. Just Googled Yamaha C3X. Winston's is advertising a new C3X for Just under $58k. PianoMax has an as new C3EPE for just under $20k.

That's a big difference in price.

My advice would be to check out the main piano stores in Brissy and build up a relationship with the salespeople. See what they can do on price once they realise you are a serious buyer and see what is in stock.

Most importantly, you need to play the instruments and hope that you fall in love with one. Looking and trying out is half the fun. And keep an open mind.

Interstate travel is a bit of a drama in Australia at the moment, as you well know. Buying interstate in the near future just not worth it.

Good luck with your purchase.

S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Charles,
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I'm afraid of seeing, giant price gap between different dealers. I've seen C3X at $41k on a dealer's website based in Melbourne, that would be a good reference when I go to my local stores.
Definitely gonna try them out before buying, just want to make sure I'm not paying too much in case I fall in love with the piano and put a deposit on the spot.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by SlowCar
[...]just want to make sure I'm not paying too much in case I fall in love with the piano and put a deposit on the spot.

The best defense against an impulsive move like that is to leave your cheque book and your credit cards (all of them!) at home! Happy shopping.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]just want to make sure I'm not paying too much in case I fall in love with the piano and put a deposit on the spot.

The best defense against an impulsive move like that is to leave your cheque book and your credit cards (all of them!) at home! Happy shopping.

Regards,

Haha, that is exactly what I did when we went back to play again the Kawai we've just purchased. But then my wife, who had already fallen in love with it, announced that she had brought my carefully left behind wallet with her 'just in case' :-)

Last edited by gwing; 05/04/20 10:24 AM.
S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
After a bit of research and calling around, these are the offers I've found:
C3X brand new: $40,000
2016 c3x demo: $36,000
2018 c5x demo: $42,000
2018 c6x demo: $46,000

Thoughts?

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

Haha, that is exactly what I did when we went back to play again the Kawai we've just purchased. But then my wife, who had already fallen in love with it, announced that she had brought my carefully left behind wallet with her 'just in case' :-)

Sounds like your wife knows you well, and vice versa. wink

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

C
C

Thoughts?

Which ones have you played? Not all c3x/c5x c6x's are the same.

I have an early 80's Yamaha C7. I bought it after trading in my mid-80's Grotrian 192. Although I had the Grotrian for a long time and it was a beautifully made piano, it suffered from a very heavy, unresponsive action. It was generally hard work and none of my playing friends liked it either. Well, one day I went to have a look at a piano with a friend, and while in the shop, I couldn't help trying out the pianos. The C7 blew me away. Beautiful rich, clear tone and an action that was everything I was looking for. The build quality of the C7 is not as good as the Grotrian, but who cares. Got a good trade-in price on the Grotrian and the decision was made. Although I did not intend to buy a piano, this one was just too good to pass up. Should have done it years ago.

Online Content

Thoughts?
By "demo" do you mean a floor model? These are generally considered "new" pianos but if they have been on the dealer's floor a long time may sell at a discount vs. a "brand new" piano. Many would say there is absolutely no disadvantage in buying a piano that has been on the dealer's floor a long time and, in fact, there may be an advantage because it may have had more tunings and other work done on it. If a piano has been on the dealer's floor a "long" time it could be that it doesn't appeal to many people(but it might appeal to you) or it could be pure chance.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes. Can we get a clarification as to what “demo” means? Floor model in a store where the inventory is looked after = absolutely no problem. Rented out and moved for events and concerts = get it thoroughly checked out before proceeding.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
According to the dealer, they are floor demos imported from Japan showroom. But to be honest, this particular dealer doesn't sound like the most honest salesperson to me when he told me people are not allowed to sit down and demo the piano extensively in showrooms in Japan.

S
S
According to the dealer, they are floor demos imported from Japan showroom. But to be honest, this particular dealer doesn't sound like the most honest salesperson to me when he told me people are not allowed to sit down and demo the piano extensively in showrooms in Japan.

Your username and references to "demo" models suggest that you might thinking about pianos in the same way as buying a car, where you expect a discount on a demonstrator model because it's got a few k's on the clock, maybe a scratch or two and it's probably been thrashed from cold on test drives.

But a piano doesn't work that way. If a demo piano has been looked after properly on a showroom floor it can be better than a brand new one from the factory. It will have been tuned a few times and be starting to stabilise. If a customer has complained about a few notes sounding a bit dull or bright or keys a bit heavy or light the tech will have fixed those up. If it's been played a bit the hammer felts will have compacted a little and the piano will sound more like how it will for the next 20 years than a brand new one would.

You can argue you should pay more for a demo model!

If the dealer has different prices this will be due far more to supply and demand and how keen he is to sell than due to the actual state of the pianos.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.

Thoughts?

Seems like new is worth the extra bit.

Note my signature as a dealer with a store in Brisbane.

Piano sales consultant
Australian Piano Warehouse-Melbourne Australia
30 years and still going
Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD800,Korg Kronos
S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I appreciate the fact that a "demo" can be better than a brand new one from factory. This "demo" c5x is interstate and it's impossible to try it out with current travel restrictions. So I'm leaning more toward a brand new one.
Went into another local dealer today, and got quoted AUD$43,000 for a brand new C5X.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I appreciate the fact that a "demo" can be better than a brand new one from factory. This "demo" c5x is interstate and it's impossible to try it out with current travel restrictions. So I'm leaning more toward a brand new one.
Went into another local dealer today, and got quoted AUD$43,000 for a brand new C5X.
If you're stretching that far, I'd try to audition a C6X if you can. The C6X is a whole different beast compared to the C5X - like, really in a different league as a piano. Not many people have even seen a C6X, but I've played 4 or 5 in my life and they blew the C5Xs sitting next to them out of the water.

By the way, what state are you in?

S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by ando
If you're stretching that far, I'd try to audition a C6X if you can. The C6X is a whole different beast compared to the C5X - like, really in a different league as a piano. Not many people have even seen a C6X, but I've played 4 or 5 in my life and they blew the C5Xs sitting next to them out of the water.

By the way, what state are you in?

I'm in QLD.
After a bit of research, lots of people do suggest that there's a more noticeable difference between C5X vs C6X than C3X vs C5X. Let's see if I can find a C6X to audition.

S
SlowCar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just ordered a new C6X, thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Just ordered a new C6X, thanks everyone for the suggestions.

To try, or to buy? Are you going to buy it without having tried it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Yamaha C6X !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,166
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission