2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (AlphaTerminus, 36251, Anonymous12345, anotherscott, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beansparrow, alexii, 15 invisible), 1,006 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
B
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
(Cultural Sidebar)

When I lived in Switzerland, there was a huge international expat community. They'd pass around a bunch of books called "The Xenophobe's Guide to [some country]".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobe%27s_Guides

They were gut-bustlingly funny ... until you read the one from your own country! It wasn't uncommon to hear refrains of "this isn't funny. This isn't funny at all!" Except that they were. From my experience, life gets better when you learn to laugh at yourself!

For the record, I like Canada and Canadians just fine. thumb

I have absolutely no idea why all this was even brought up but it was and you’ve got to wonder what was underlying all that. Very disappointing to say the least.

Nothing but jocularity underlying my post, but if you want to explain what "this," "it," and "that" are, I'll try to address your disappointment.

Nope, it's fine. I trust you were trying to lighten the situation. It didn't work as intended, obviously, but let's just leave it at that.

Worked for me....You must be in isolation too long as it was most definitely tongue in cheek...and read that way....

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Granted, it's a commercial for the Cunningham, but if you get a chance to play the Parlour Grand, I think you'll come away impressed at what you can buy for the money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOrzSzWiKfM&feature=emb_title

Last edited by Jolly; 04/29/20 02:17 PM.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ubu
If now with corona going on we trust China enough to buy there the medical equipment we need for saving lifes I don't see how anyone can doubt they can make decent pianos

I think this doesn’t have anything to do with pianos because they’re different products, but...

It’s funny you should mention this because we have had to recall certain masks and other equipment that we purchased from China due to poor quality.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globaln...ty-of-toronto-surgical-masks-recall/amp/

We’re not the only country that has recalled Chinese-made masks:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-china-masks-covid-19/amp

There’s a lot more instances of this.
This is however truly disgusting!
During a pandemic to send masks that tear and break !
Truly shameful behavior!

Last edited by Lady Bird; 04/29/20 02:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
This is however truly disgusting!
During a pandemic to send masks that tear and break !
Truly shameful behavior!

Lady Bird, this thread has taken some odd and bumpy twists and turns, but in response to your comment about shameful behavior, when it comes to businesses making a profit, I think it is sort of like "all is fair in love, war, and making a profit" scenario.

One thing that I hate and loathe more than anything else is for someone to lie to me or be deceitful in their actions. If I never find out I was lied to, or the truth is not revealed, no harm no fowl. But if I find out, my elephant memory kicks in and I never forget it, and try to learn from it.

It happened to me recently during a business transaction (salesperson lied or was deceitful in withholding information relevant to the cost of the transaction). I confronted them and they begin to backtrack and make excuses about how they forgot this or forgot that or made other assumptions. Their deception was deliberate for sake of a higher commission.

Shameful behavior? I guess you could call it that, but it seems to be more and more "normal" in the course of transacting business where a profit is to be made.

My thoughts? Treat all business transactions as attempts to defraud you out of your money and check, examine, double check, and probe and evaluate every single word of a sales contract. Hence, shameful behavior is the norm nowadays, and you just have to counter it as best you can.

Would I buy a piano made in China? If I liked it, wanted it and felt like it was a good buy, yes, I would.

My mantra when it comes to business transactions? "Trust but verify". (Ronald Reagan) smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’ll add a bit to your post Rick. I expect some glossy exaggeration from anybody trying to sell me something. Pianos, cars, houses, jeans, or even jewelry. They are doing their job and trying to sell me something I’m in the market for. If they’re selling me something like insulin, or life jackets, or medical tests, or ventilators, I expect absolute truth because my life depends on it. If someone sells me defective medical tests, I sure don’t trust them to be truthful about the insulin I purchased or a piano I’m looking at. Fool me once shame on you. I won’t give anyone a chance to fool me twice.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
True Rickster "Trust but verify "
These masks were sent to " long term care centre's" where so many elderly people have died.

Either China can make medical masks or they cannot but they should not send junk anywhere or use them on thier own people unless there is good quality control. No health care worker needs masks with holes in them.
How do you trust anything made there if they behave this way during this crisis.

I am sorry about your bad experience Rickster ,I hope
you received some recompense !
Sometimes it's about living and learning, I suppose,
although the word "living" conjure's up so much at the
the moment.......

I am sorry about your bad experience Rickster ,I hope
you received some recompense !
Sometimes it's about living and learning, I suppose,
although the word "living" conjure's up so much at the
the moment.......

Thanks, Lady Bird, and j&j.

Yes, I did receive recompense to an extent. What made it so bad, I could have purchased the exact same product online for less money, but wanted to support the local B&M store in my community. And, I told them as much. They smiled at me and still charged me hidden fees that they never mentioned, until I found out about it.

But that is neither here nor there, and not much money was involved. But it was the principle of the matter, which was huge in my view.

However, you are right about the "living" issue. When matters of life and death are involved, all other petty things fade into the background.

Hope all is well with everyone! smile

Stay safe, healthy and happy!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Ubu Offline
Regarding the issue about defective masks you must consider that right now the whole world is asking china for medical equipment, rushing to buy masks, glases, tests and all kind of stuff, the whole world. Can you see the seize of such pressure and the amount of work it involves? It's inevitable that some defect arise at certain point.

And besides that, even if china is guilty for their defective equipment, what's up with the rest of the world? Why is it that nobody else is able to produce those products?

It's even funny: oh shame on you china, you sell defective masks. Ok so then build you your own masks. We can't. Ok so then don't buy our masks. But we need them. Ok so what you want? We want you to provide for everything we need, while we still feel superior to you. We can improve our masks, not sure we can help about the other stuff. Oh shame on you china, you know what? I'll never ever buy a piano from you!!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
China or not everyone has the same problem. We need more of these things than are available so new production is coming on line in a hurry and rushing to market. Some of that equipment is going to be substandard. There won't be as many checks and time spent evaluating and testing as normal because there isn't any time nor spare alternative high quality equipment to buy. At the end of the day a substandard mask is probably better than no mask.

We have the same issue in the UK. Some local manufacturers are starting to produce masks, our government won't buy our own masks because they haven't been tested and aren't from an established supplier. A big shipment of these were then exported to the US as we wouldn't buy them, even though we are in critical need. The world isn't perfect. I'm tempted to make some remarks about the intelligence of our leaders but I won't get that political.

Last edited by gwing; 04/29/20 06:48 PM.
Folks,

If you suddenly decided not to buy anything from China, you could shut the hospitals down, as much of what we use use originates there. You could shut down the paper mills we have left, because many of the specialty chemicals come from there. You wouldn't have to worry about buying computer memory chips, DVDs, rechargeable batteries, cell phones, catalytic converters, magnets or other things, because all those contain rare earth metals and alloys which come from China. You wouldn't be able to buy a lot of your medicine at the pharmacy, because although a lot is made in India nowadays, they get their raw materials from China.

So while I'm all in favor of buying as much as possible from here in North America or from Europe and South America, the fact is that it will take many years to detangle from buying things from China. If ever.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ubu
Regarding the issue about defective masks you must consider that right now the whole world is asking china for medical equipment, rushing to buy masks, glases, tests and all kind of stuff, the whole world. Can you see the seize of such pressure and the amount of work it involves? It's inevitable that some defect arise at certain point.

And besides that, even if china is guilty for their defective equipment, what's up with the rest of the world? Why is it that nobody else is able to produce those products?

It's even funny: oh shame on you china, you sell defective masks. Ok so then build you your own masks. We can't. Ok so then don't buy our masks. But we need them. Ok so what you want? We want you to provide for everything we need, while we still feel superior to you. We can improve our masks, not sure we can help about the other stuff. Oh shame on you china, you know what? I'll never ever buy a piano from you!!
I do not know who you are, or where you live but I find this post really empty, and lacking human
empathy for people who care for the elderly and the sick.This has nothing to do with Chinese
pianos but it certainly makes me wonder....

Last edited by Lady Bird; 04/29/20 08:18 PM. Reason: Missing word
D
D
Originally Posted by Ubu

very funny but true smile

Nobody is without faults. We all need to take some time to check ourselves in the mirror first...

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Ubu I realise my response was harsh. Your response was was cold and uncaring.
It was not just Canada who recalled masks.The Dutch government recalled 600,000 masks that were used in hospitals.Spain complained of test kits that failed.
DreamPiano "if you think it is funny", well you may not feel that when there are not enough health
workers, when YOUR family member may just need good health care !
Beware what you say, Covid19 does not discriminate.

D
D
Ubu I realise my response was harsh. Your response was was cold and uncaring.
It was not just Canada who recalled masks.The Dutch government recalled 600,000 masks that were used in hospitals.Spain complained of test kits that failed.
DreamPiano "if you think it is funny", well you may not feel that when there are not enough health
workers, when YOUR family member may just need good health care !
Beware what you say, Covid19 does not discriminate.

Hi Lady Bird,

Without reveal too much personal info, I can tell you that I'm myself a healthcare worker. In addition, my parents and brothers and extended families on both sides are healthcare workers. So I understand what you are saying there.

But I think that Ubu got a point. We can put people on the Moon but can't produce masks or medical supplies ??? C'mon... All the while we have to keep come back to China asking to buy stuffs from them (in secret deals) while denouncing them and standing proud and feling superior to them in public!

I also do not like Communist China (trust me on that) but I find it funny to complain about stuffs or other people while we are doing nothing to fix the problems. If I see that a person or company or even a country keeps showing the same pattern of making bad stuffs, I simply won't buy from them again. Fool me once, you know... OK, China sells defective masks, do not buy from them ever again... That will turn them around really quick. You won't fix or change anything by continuing buying or depending on China while complaining about this and that. They will just ignore you, like pssss, who cares, you keep buying anyway!

We need to get off our bums and work our @sses off to do whatever it takes to for our needs before complaining. It's lucky that we did not go to war with China! Imagine if we had been dependent on Nazi Germany or Japan in WWII for things...:)

Last edited by DreamPiano80; 04/29/20 10:01 PM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Canada has produced thier own test kits which are accurate.(developed by Canadian scientists)
Canada's response to the virus has been intelligent from the beginning.Compare WHO numbers
if this is a competition???? (which SINCERELY hope it's not )

But I agree perhaps this is a turning point for many countries ! The next thing we need to see is if they are really going to ban those "wet markets " or are they just telling another lie !
This whole thread is just becoming more political by the moment I tried earlier to talk just about the quality of Chinese pianos but it was constantly brought to back to political issues.Unfortunately I never read those links that WeakLeftHand gave yesterday.
Perhaps it is time to close this thread.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 04/29/20 10:16 PM. Reason: Missing word
D
D
Canada has produced thier own test kits which are accurate.(developed by Canadian scientists)
Canada's response to the virus has been intelligent from the beginning.Compare WHO numbers

But I agree perhaps this is a turning point for many countries ! The next thing we need to see is if they are really going to ban those "wet markets " or are they just telling another lie !

This whole thread is just becoming more political by the moment I tried earlier to talk just about the quality of Chinese pianos but it was constantly brought to back to political issues.Unfortunately I never read those links that WeakLeftHand gave yesterday.

I would not expect them being crooked to turn straight overnight! (heck, I could not trust our own politicians, let alone any thing from Communist China :))

Last edited by DreamPiano80; 04/29/20 10:20 PM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
You need to improve your language -- "bums and @asses" -- really?

D
D
You need to improve your language -- "bums and @asses" -- really?

I was trying to drive home my points!

I will be more "presidential" next time smile

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member

You might want to look at the infection rate in Canada adjusted per 1 million population

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson

You might want to look at the infection rate in Canada adjusted per 1 million population

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
dogsperson, As I said it is not a competition.I do know in BC nearly all the deaths are in old age care
homes.(where the masks were going to be used) Yes it certainly says something about our long term care homes where infection is at its worst. Now it is in chicken processing plants.
Considering how this infection started, it is certainly tempting to become a vegetarian.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 04/29/20 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Juggling Piano!
by Sam S - 06/14/21 07:25 PM
Please help: Kawai ST-1 (institutional) or K-300?
by SantaCecilia - 06/14/21 07:11 PM
Kawai VPC1 velocity curve
by luigigiul76 - 06/14/21 06:17 PM
Quality of the piano dealership shop
by lct14558 - 06/14/21 05:58 PM
Studio piano vsts? eg Ivory, Alicia's Keys
by MarkOfJohnson - 06/14/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,513
Posts3,103,663
Members101,810
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission