2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Hmmm ... what does a VST-ready person look like? How does Astanova's appearance suggest VST-ready, whilst Lisitsa's not?

Awesome! smile

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
Hmmm ... what does a VST-ready person look like? How does Astanova's appearance suggest VST-ready, whilst Lisitsa's not?
Awesome! smile
LOL. Do others not use the word "look" colloquially to mean "seems" any more? Did coronavirus change that English language when I wasn't looking? Or is someone making a joke about a double entendre that isn't particularly funny?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That was my meaning when I inquired ...
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Do others not use the word "look" colloquially to mean "seems" any more?

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
That was my meaning when I inquired ...
Do others not use the word "look" colloquially to mean "seems" any more?
OK! Then you get a pass on that! grin

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
LOL. Do others not use the word "look" colloquially to mean "seems" any more? Did coronavirus change that English language when I wasn't looking? Or is someone making a joke about a double entendre that isn't particularly funny?

It is funny because it demonstrates irony. Why should you get a pass for using a sexist colloquialism?

S
S
Originally Posted by peterws
If I may spoil things a little; the good lady never mentions the sound coming out. She may well be playing the P105 (that too, isn't written in stone; I saw no playing) but . . .a software piano may be employed supposing she was! M'Lud!

I should've worked for the Police . . . .
Wait... LOL. How likely do you think it would be if the only keyboard that she could get smuggled into her quarantine accommodations was a P-105 (not a even a P-115 or P-125!) that she could also smuggle in a computer with a software piano and the necessary cables? I guarantee you that she doesn't look like a person with software pianos at the ready. Astanova, yes. But not Lisitsa! wink
Agree. I froze a frame near the end. I only see the power and pedal cables, with no PC in sight.

[img]https://ibb.co/vDVfVpn[/img]

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
It is funny because it demonstrates irony. Why should you get a pass for using a sexist colloquialism?
What? I gave him a pass because he wanted to know if my use of "look" was "look" or "seems". Do you I have to explain my use of English to a native speaker of English? LOL. Or is your use of "pass" also ironic? Should I be looking up all the myriad connotations of "pass" on urbandictionary.com ?

[Linked Image]

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Yes, because we discuss almost daily on here how Lang Lang looks old or how Vladimir Ashkenazi hasn't 'aged well'. Come on.....

Are you discounting the comments about how Andras Schiff has an unpleasant personality? Or how Lang Lang plays with stupid facial expressions? Or how Wim Winters is a crackpot? These types of comments come up regularly on here. Never noticed a comment criticising a female player's personality or research. Does this make the aforesaid comments also "sexist" because they are all men?

I agree that the comments about Lisista's looks are insulting (I don't agree with them by the way) but people have got to stop chucking the word "sexist" around like it's going out of fashion, just to score internet virtue points. It has a very particular meaning, and to misuse it is to dilute its meaning which is not a good thing at all. I think this is somewhat serious matter. The same applies to the word "racism". And probably any other "ism".

Just because one insults a woman, this does not automatically make it "sexist" because she is female. There are plenty of insults floating around on this forum towards male players.

No matter anyway - I think the comments about Valentina are wrong whichever way you slice it. It doesn't matter how well she is "ageing" although I happen to think she's still very attractive, actually.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
How is commenting on someone's appearance "sexist", per se?

Insulting, maybe. But just because she's female doesn't make it sexist.
Yes, because we discuss almost daily on here how Lang Lang looks old or how Vladimir Ashkenazi hasn't 'aged well'. Come on.....
+1!

Thanks for posting this, Tyrone. I love her playing. ❤️
You're welcome Lisa! Hope things get better for you!

Much improved, my friend, much improved! 😊❤️

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
What? I gave him a pass because he wanted to know if my use of "look" was "look" or "seems". Do you I have to explain my use of English to a native speaker of English? LOL. Or is your use of "pass" also ironic? Should I be looking up all the myriad connotations of "pass" on urbandictionary.com ?

You chose a colloquialism that can be considered sexist and required an explanation. You advocate for non-sexist comments. I'm surprised you don't see the irony in that. If you're an advocate for a standard then you must be willing to abide by it.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 04/28/20 06:40 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
You chose a colloquialism that can be considered sexist and required an explanation. You advocate for non-sexists comments. I'm surprised you don't see the irony in that. If you're an advocate for a standard then you must be willing to abide by it.

God Bless,
David
Wait? How is this about my use of a colloquialism? I gave Mac a pass. Are you saying my use of the "looks" vs "seems" is a sexist colloquialism? I just googled "look seems colloquial sexist" and came up with nothing. I believe you made this up. You want to give me your explanation for how using "looks" instead of "seems" is sexist?

[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
The one thing that I take away from this is that I have a DP(NU1X) that is considered better than the one she is playing on yet she sounds so much better than I ever will. So much for my strategy blaming the instrument for my playing ability. Next thing you know Tyrone will post a video demonstrating that my golf clubs aren't the problem either. smile

Last edited by Peddler100; 04/28/20 06:53 PM.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peddler100
The one thing that I take away from this is that I have a DP(NU1X) that is considered better than the one she is playing on yet she sounds so much better than I ever will. So much for my strategy blaming the instrument for my playing ability. Next thing you know Tyrone will post a video demonstrating that my golf clubs aren't the problem either. smile
What golf clubs do you use?

[Linked Image]

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Wait? How is this about my use of a colloquialism? I gave Mac a pass. Are you saying my use of the "looks" vs "seems" is a sexist colloquialism? I just googled "look seems colloquial sexist" and came up with nothing. I believe you made this up. You want to give me your explanation for how using "looks" instead of "seems" is sexist?

I think you're smart enough to comprehend. I understand nobody likes being called out. In this context your colloquialism can be considered sexist unless we infer you mean "seems" instead of "looks." Don't assume everyone is going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 04/28/20 07:20 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I think you're smart enough to comprehend. I understand nobody likes being called out. In this context your colloquialism can be considered sexist unless we infer you mean "seems" instead of "looks." Don't assume everyone is going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

God Bless,
David
I would guess the only people who might believe that are those who think there is a relationship between physical appearance and the software they may or may not own. I mean, how many people could guess you own software pianos from your appearance? You may think I am Carnak the Magnificent. I assure you, I am not. Rather I am someone who has seen half the videos of each of these two pianists on Youtube and have some sense of which of the two would be more likely to own a software piano. You are claiming I intentionally used the word "look" in order to create some sort of double ententre around their appearance. That hardly even makes sense. But you are welcome to believe it if it suits you.

And if you are ready to 'cast the first stone' on my supposed subliminally sexist word choice, are you so sure you yourself are perfectly unprejudiced?

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peddler100
Next thing you know Tyrone will post a video demonstrating that my golf clubs aren't the problem either. smile
So, you’re not able to eliminate your enemies by beating them with a golf club as the professional guys do in the movies? It seems (looks?) really easy in all these videos but we’ll have to give credit to mafia for doing wonders with such a primitive tool.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/28/20 07:34 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
And if you are ready to 'cast the first stone' on my supposed subliminally sexist word choice, are you so sure you yourself are perfectly unprejudiced?

I'm not the one who equated her looks with her preference for digital software. You left that ambiguity open with your choice of words.

God Bless,
David

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Great piano playing by a master, discussions about sexism, philosophical debate about language syntax, and even time to slip in a round of golf in the middle.

*** Popcorn ***

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I'm not the one who equated her looks with her preference for digital software. You left that ambiguity open with your choice of words.

God Bless,
David
Ambiguity is in the eye of the beholder. I think MacMacMac pointed out that looks can't possibly relate to software or no software. Correctamundo. It's impossible. What does one have to do with the other? Perhaps if one of the two was ill-dressed one might infer they were poor and therefore couldn't afford nonessential stuff like a software piano. I do think Astanova makes use of sexual tension in her performances just as Yuja Wang does. (Please call me out on this - it would be a legitimate diss instead of this software piano inanity.) But does that mean I think both Astanova and Yuja own software pianos but some performer who doesn't incorporate this in their performances, like Argerich, therefore doesn't own software pianos? What is this relationship between appearance and software pianos that you think you may have found here? You might have had a leg to stand on if instead of software, I had used 'boyfriends' or 'makeup' or 'fashionable clothing' instead of software pianos, to make such a sexist allusion complete. Then I might even be considered witty in my remark. But seriously, software pianos?

[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

God Bless,
David
<my ill-considered remarks deleted>
I've just received privately some wise words from another member about our "discussion". I take it all to heart and will stop with this back and forth stuff. Please accept my apologies, David B, and just ignore everything that I said to you after your first comment to me. I take back all my remarks and apologize to you for make them.

Sorry to everyone else for taking up useless space and attention in my thread on the beautiful music Lisitsa can make on such an inexpensive digital piano. Back to Lisitsa's digital piano.

As you were, everyone.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission