2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (An Old Square, 36251, Bellicapelli, bobrunyan, Abdol, b4xter, 23 invisible), 694 guests, and 474 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Guys,

I have finally done the deed! I bought a piano for myself. It arrives this coming Tuesday. I really wanted to buy an acoustic piano now, but I did not for a variety of reasons. Let me explain.

After much discussion with myself, I decided to get a digital piano rather than an acoustic one for the usual reasons - it doesn't cost as much as an acoustic, it takes up less space, you never have to tune it or voice it, etc.

I will start piano lessons very soon. After several years of practice and playing, and if I am very good at this, I will buy a small (i.e., between 5'10" and 7' feet) acoustic grand. However, if I am only good or worse, I still have a very nice digital piano to play and play with - boy, does this thing have bells and whistles!

The piano I chose was (drumroll, please) - a Yamaha CLP685, the flagship of Yamaha's Clavinova upright-styled line. I bought it from Cunningham Pianos in the Philadelphia area. The other serious contenders were the Roland LX708 and Kawai CA79.

I also wanted to try out the Casio GP-510, but the Casio dealer in Maryland was in a corona-induced lockdown and he didn't have the GP-510 in stock. Thus I had to leave the Casio out of the decision process.

As I can't play yet, I couldn't evaluate the action for myself, so I first concentrated on sound. The Yamaha had a better, more powerful sound system than the other two, with the Roland coming in second.

I have been told by two professional pianists who have played the Yamaha CLP685 that the action is very responsive and is about the same weight as a concert grand. One of those pianists said he liked the Roland action as well. Thus I chose the Yamaha. Rich Galassini and Hugh Sung at Cunningham Pianos were very helpful and gave me a good deal, so I bought from them.

The selection of high-end digital pianos in the Richmond area is quite bad, so I went to three dealers out of town - one dealer had the Kawai model, another had the Roland and Yamaha models, and Cunningham carried the Yamaha line. Altogether I drove about 600 miles in one weekend.

My search is finally over!

Last edited by Almaviva; 04/25/20 05:24 PM.
J
J
Congratulations, i have been thinking about buying that same piano too as i liked it a lot when i tried it, but have been unsure because of all the complaints in the forum about heavy action.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I know about the complaints as well. However, the two pianists I conferred with told me that there is a difference between static weight (i.e., putting a technician's weight on a key) and dynamic weight, which takes into account the movement of the forearm, wrist, hand and fingers as well as their mass.

I think the reason that the CLP685 movement has gotten so much negative commentary is that so many of the members of the Digital Forum play "slab" pianos, and are not used to the weight of the action of a typical acoustic concert grand.

Last edited by Almaviva; 04/25/20 07:01 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't agree. The Clavs are heavier than any grand I've ever touched.

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Oh dear, I've played on hundreds of different acoustic pianos over the years and digital pianos, all sorts... I can say with confidence the 685 requires too much downweight to play properly. 80g or something, nothing like the 50g ish you'd get on a good concert grand. Kawai ca79/99 has the best actions available apart from the hybrids. Roland hybrid action also very good, yamaha can't compete, and I don't know why anyone would buy a 685 when the new models are just round the corner... It makes no sense! Don't you do research before you buy, look up models and how long they've been released, when new models are expected..

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Well, the so-called "700 Series" is not yet with us. A typical series' life cycle of 4-5 years means the 600 series will be with us for 1-2 more years. Besides, this COVID-19 pandemic has screwed everything up; they may not release a succcessor to the CLP685 for a few more years.

The CLP685 has gotten good reviews from the piano press, and I have the opinions of two very good concert pianists that the action of that piano is about the same weight as a typical Steinway Model D. I did my research beforehand.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Well, the so-called "700 Series" is not yet with us. A typical series' life cycle of 4-5 years means the 600 series will be with us for 1-2 more years.
Incorrect - every Clavinova series in the last 20 years has been replaced in 3 years. The 600 series will be replaced this year (within a few months).

Last edited by Burkie; 04/25/20 10:27 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
The CLP685 has gotten good reviews from the piano press, and I have the opinions of two very good concert pianists that the action of that piano is about the same weight as a typical Steinway Model D. I did my research beforehand.
What weight (static & dynamic) are the Steinway Ds that you/they did research on?

Last edited by Burkie; 04/25/20 10:29 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have no idea. Perhaps a Steinway technician on this forum can provide that information.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
By "research" I meant that I had read the reviews of the CLP685, both in the print media and on this Forum, and listened to two highly respected pianists that I trust.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When I first tested a CLP-685 I thought it was too heavy and unrealistic. At that time I owned a Kawai ES7 which has a very nice but also very light action. After I switched to the N1X with a real grand piano action and got used to it I tested briefly the CLP-685 again and although it feels different, I didn’t find it as heavy and unrealistic as I previously thought. It’s all a bit subjective. I believe the CLP-685 is a great digital piano and you will have a lot of fun smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/26/20 02:32 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
I agree with this ...
Originally Posted by mwf
I can say with confidence the 685 requires too much downweight to play properly. 80g or something, nothing like the 50g ish you'd get on a good concert grand.

But please don't accuse others of not doing research ...
Originally Posted by mwf
I don't know why anyone would buy a 685 when the new models are just round the corner... It makes no sense! Don't you do research before you buy, look up models and how long they've been released, when new models are expected..
Yes, the 700-series should be released soon (delayed perhaps by the epidemic). But I'd expect to see very little difference from the 600-series.
That's how Yamaha rolls, don't you know? Don't you do research?

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I agree with this ...
Originally Posted by mwf
I can say with confidence the 685 requires too much downweight to play properly. 80g or something, nothing like the 50g ish you'd get on a good concert grand.

But please don't accuse others of not doing research ...
Originally Posted by mwf
I don't know why anyone would buy a 685 when the new models are just round the corner... It makes no sense! Don't you do research before you buy, look up models and how long they've been released, when new models are expected..
Yes, the 700-series should be released soon (delayed perhaps by the epidemic). But I'd expect to see very little difference from the 600-series.
That's how Yamaha rolls, don't you know? Don't you do research?

Thanks for holding mwf in check.

Your statement that the CLP700 series won't be much different from the CLP600 series surprised me. After all, the CLP685 was significantly different from the CLP585, wasn't it? (I know nothing about the CLP585. Please enlighten me.)

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Perhaps it could be said that the CLP-685 was somewhat of a semi-significant improvement over the CLP-585.

Yamaha has a six-to-ten-year ‘semi-significant’ improvement rate, so don’t expect much till the 885 or even the 985!

Pete14 is right ... Change at Yamaha comes slowly. The rest of the players are slow, too.
Your statement that the CLP700 series won't be much different from the CLP600 series surprised me.
And things don't always move forward. Yamaha's best Clavinovas premiered in 1998/1999. It was downhill after that with major downgrades across the Clavinova line ... improving only in the last few years ... and then mostly in the most expensive (AG) models.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats on your new CLP-685, Almaviva! It's a great choice and will serve you well for years and years.

I think you've been around here enough not to let the constant bickering/pedantry (that we all seem to love to engage in) get you down. Everyone's got their pet favs and pet peeves and there isn't an objectively perfect DP. The one that you have and enjoy and which makes playing fun is in the end the right instrument for you.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Congrats on your new CLP-685, Almaviva! It's a great choice and will serve you well for years and years.

I think you've been around here enough not to let the constant bickering/pedantry (that we all seem to love to engage in) get you down. Everyone's got their pet favs and pet peeves and there isn't an objectively perfect DP. The one that you have and enjoy and which makes playing fun is in the end the right instrument for you.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes I know about the arguing, bickering and pedantry - I've been a Piano World member for 7 years. It's just that I didn't expect the "piling on" - it took me by surprise.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by CyberGene
When I first tested a CLP-685 I thought it was too heavy and unrealistic. At that time I owned a Kawai ES7 which has a very nice but also very light action. After I switched to the N1X with a real grand piano action and got used to it I tested briefly the CLP-685 again and although it feels different, I didn’t find it as heavy and unrealistic as I previously thought. It’s all a bit subjective. I believe the CLP-685 is a great digital piano and you will have a lot of fun smile
This.

I chose the CLP-675 which has the same action as the 685, albeit without counterweights. The action is indeed much heavier than the Yamaha C1X and GB1K, the only grands I've ever been able to get my hands on. But, the weight of the GrandTouch action is about the same any Yamaha upright acoustics. I used to own a Yamaha U1 before switching to the 675 and I feel that the weight is almost similar. Furthermore, I've also tried out every single Yamaha upright model are currently being produced and they all have really heavy actions.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Originally Posted by Burkie
Well, the so-called "700 Series" is not yet with us. A typical series' life cycle of 4-5 years means the 600 series will be with us for 1-2 more years.
Incorrect - every Clavinova series in the last 20 years has been replaced in 3 years. The 600 series will be replaced this year (within a few months).

I had heard that the 700 series was going to be released at the Frankfurt Musikmesse this year.Clearly that is not going to happen.The rumour could be totally wrong also.

Piano sales consultant
Australian Piano Warehouse-Melbourne Australia
30 years and still going
Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD800,Korg Kronos
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Lushey1
Originally Posted by Burkie

I had heard that the 700 series was going to be released at the Frankfurt Musikmesse this year.Clearly that is not going to happen.The rumour could be totally wrong also.

I too heard that rumor about the Frankfurt Musikmesse debut. Well, the trade show has been canceled. God knows how the COVID-19 pandemic will screw things up. Who knows, Yamaha (and the rest of the piano industry) just might delay the introduction of new models for a year or so.

Last edited by Almaviva; 04/26/20 10:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,166
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission