2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 191 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 190 191
E
E
Originally Posted by Galuwen
Hi owners out there ...

Could you do me a little favour PLEASE:

Could you light tip on the surface of your black keys and listen if you find black keys that sound "hollow" and make a nasty plasticky klicking sound.

You can here the klicking sound also easily when playing pp.

Just want to verify before I contact my dealer on Monday.

Thx Galuwen

My CA79 has the sound you describe, but only if it hasn't been played for a while (e.g. overnight) and only for approximately 2-4 of the black keys. Once these keys have been played, the sound does not repeat until a very long time (e.g. the next day). It is a flaw but it's not enough of an issue to bother me as I predominantly use headphones anyway.

G
G
Originally Posted by evolution42
Hi owners out there ...

Could you do me a little favour PLEASE:

Could you light tip on the surface of your black keys and listen if you find black keys that sound "hollow" and make a nasty plasticky klicking sound.

You can here the klicking sound also easily when playing pp.

Just want to verify before I contact my dealer on Monday.

Thx Galuwen

My CA79 has the sound you describe, but only if it hasn't been played for a while (e.g. overnight) and only for approximately 2-4 of the black keys. Once these keys have been played, the sound does not repeat until a very long time (e.g. the next day). It is a flaw but it's not enough of an issue to bother me as I predominantly use headphones anyway.

Ah Ok thx a lot ...

Galuwen

E
E
Agree @Solon that the user interface needs attention.

I like having the screen on the Piano tab where you can see the picture of the SK-EX Concert Grand whilst I'm playing. However as far as I'm aware, there is no way to restore a user sound from the Sound tab and subsequently go back into the Piano tab without the sound reverting to default settings (i.e. Classic variation with Natural ambience). It means i have to manually change all my variation, virtual technician and ambience settings manually in the Piano tab each time I play.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Could you record this key noise issue and post it here?

Roland LX708
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Solon
I have not seen the CA79 but "played" with the app for a while and also read what others have written about it and agree in most or all of the criticism. I think the app is not ready and should not have been released in it´s present state. And I guess the UI on the piano is more or less identical.

A few examples:

When you scroll up and down in the virtual technichian it is very easy to inadvertently change the settings.

When you save a "User sound" for the first time there is no check that there isn´t already a user sound with the same name so you can have several different user sounds with the same name. This shouldn´t be possible.

If you select an existing user sound, edit it and then save you have to enter a name for it. If that name already exists you get no warning and if you continue there will be at least two with the same name. The name it was previously saved under could be automatically shown in the name field and if you continue to save you should get a question whether you want to overwrite the previous settings or if you want to give it another name.

If you want to delete a user sound you can not do that unless you delete all user sounds. It should of course be possible to delete individual user sounds.

I saved a user sound to Favorites and "played" it. I could see it under the blue User field and also under the yellow Favorites and green "Recently played" field. Then I deleted my saved user sound (and of course all user sounds disappeared) and the blue menu at the top disappeared, which is OK. Still, my "deleted" user sound was visible under "Recently played" and "Favorites". Well...

I am disappointed that Kawai with all it´s resources releases an app in this state. If these obvious things are so sloppy designed, one wonders what else, less obvious, is of the same quality? And if the UI on the piano has the same design flaws I am still more disappointed. If I had been responsible I would have been ashamed. If Kawai can not fix this quickly by itself I am sure there is an abundance of brilliant engineers in Japan and elsewhere that would gladly help.

I will never buy a piano with these errors and possibly other less obvious flaws. On the other hand, if Kawai fix things like the above described and possibly other flaws, I probably would buy it, just have to test it first. From what I have read and seen and heard on Youtube and elsewhere, it seems to me it is a high quality instrument for it´s price and compared to it´s competitors.

If it is not fixed I will carry on with my old acoustic and wait for the successor to NV10.

/Solon
I have to agree with you on all of your points and there are a lot more flaws in the software.

To my knowledge there are two independent processors in the DP: one for the sound engine and one for the user interface. I hope that the flaws are only in the UI part and the part that controls the sound is better.

While the software is indeed one of the worst I saw in several years, the CA79/CA99 is still one of the best DPs in the market (in my opinion and it seems to be shared by others).

I am glad that I spend more time on the 88-key UI than on the touch screen.

-- M

G
G
Originally Posted by Nordomus

So I tried my best to record it exactly as I hear it during playing. You can hear it very good on the last notes of the Sound file (on the deep Fis) that there is a plasticky clicking noise when touching the black key:

Kawai CA 99 Keynoise

Galuwen

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N

So I tried my best to record it exactly as I hear it during playing. You can hear it very good on the last notes of the Sound file (on the deep Fis) that there is a plasticky clicking noise when touching the black key:

Kawai CA 99 Keynoise

Galuwen

Thank you, I wonder why is this happening, did you contact technician?

Roland LX708
G
G

Kawai CA 99 Keynoise

Galuwen

Thank you, I wonder why is this happening, did you contact technician?

Got my piano friday....not yet.

Dont know what to do...

Galuwen

Last edited by Galuwen; 04/25/20 12:18 PM.
R
R
I know how frustrating this must be, but I recommend just get it repaired by a technician. I know it is a new piano but it seems like the fix is easy enough.

Of course during the pandemic it might not be a good time to have a technician come out.

Last edited by RobertInFlorida; 04/25/20 01:16 PM.

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
G
G
Originally Posted by RobertInFlorida
I know how frustrating this must be, but I recommend just get it repaired by a technician. I know it is a new piano but it seems like the fix is easy enough.

Of course during the pandemic it might not be a good time to have a technician come out.

Thx a lot for the reply. In the past so far KAWAI always solved my problems. Just reminds me on the old days of first generation GF and GF II keyboards. And as they advertised they overworked it to improve reliability I was full of hope :-(.

But I am sure they will fix it....Maybe it's just a little thing...

Galuwen

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It's very disturbing that not only you have this problem, so this might be factory issue. Please keep us posted how it goes. I wonder if you can get technician to come during pandemic.

Roland LX708
D
D
Hi guys, How can I use VST? I connect the Kawai to PC with the USB cable, start Reaper with input and output set to "kawai MIDI USB" but it doesen't works! I have to set something else? Thank you

G
G
It's very disturbing that not only you have this problem, so this might be factory issue. Please keep us posted how it goes. I wonder if you can get technician to come during pandemic.

Really positive thing is, that beside this stupid issue the new CA99 is an UNBELIEVABLE PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY :-).

Couldn't believe that such a huge step from the CA98 is technically possible.

The sound quality of the new SK EK engine is a quantum leap to the CA98.

Also the new touch system is an improvement. And I love the APP.

Hope my black keys can easily be fixed.

I also really love the feel and the playability of the NEW GF III.

The CA99 for me is BY FAR the most advanced digital piano on the market.

Galuwen

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The sound quality of the new SK EK engine is a quantum leap to the CA98.

Didn't expect that. Noone said those words before you I think so now you got my attention since I consider CA98 pianist engine very, very good. If you will get your keys fixed I think I will get CA99 this year.

Roland LX708
C
C

Last edited by chopinliszt27; 04/25/20 08:51 PM.

Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. --Fryderyk Chopin
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by chopinliszt27
What about Chopin? wink

Roland LX708
Hi all,

I wonder whether the CA99/79 does render MIDI files from a USB stick into an MP3/WAV, unlike my CA97 that it only reads MIDI but cannot render (convert) them.

Also, when my CA97 reads MIDI files, it does it only with the SK-EX patch without any reverb effect.. and I don't seem to find the way to make it read MIDI in other patches and with the selected reverb...

Is it the same case with the CA99/79?

Thanks,
David

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa X GT>FP90x>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
J
J
Have any of you compared the new Kawai CA with Casio GP-510. It seems that the Kawai dealer has closed permanently in my city because of Coronavirus. Is the action as good on both? There is a reputable dealer nearby which sells Yamaha, Casio and Roland.

A
A
Dear friends,
Yesterday i received my new Kawai ca99 in white color.
Here are my first thoughts and honest review from first hours of a begginer

- The action is very good, my first impression was that it was very soft, i come from a Roland f130, wich i thougth it was soft but this seemed softer at first glance. After playing for a while i,m getting used to it and enjoy the feeling, its very pleasant to play and allows me more expression. I used to play as a child an acoustic piano and also different yamaha,s wich i remembered heavier. I was also considering buying yamaha 695gp wich is quite different, but near twice the price and maybe soon replaced, finally after analisys and based on the good reviews, sound sample, action, size and price i decided for kawai option, hope not to regret about my purchase smile

-Sound, my first impression through the speakers seemed to me little artificial in most all the piano sounds, maybe is because i,m not used to a grand piano sound coming from a digital piano. With headphones the thing changed a bit, and the most i,m playing i,m enjoying more. The roland sound was very natural for me and i supose it,s a thing of my ear getting used. I purchased some good pair of headphones (audio technica mbx50) but surprisingly ,t liked the sound out of them, my 50 eur marshall sounded better for me, but are not ideal and will continue seeking for headphones.

-Aesthetics and others. As opposite to others i like the touch screen and simplicity of menus and options, i updated firmware and everything was ok
I dont like the grey speakers difusers, by photos i thought they will be white or clearer gray. They would be better in the same color of the piano(white). Also hope my cats don,t realise about them because they can be scratched very easy.

I did get a free bench wich is very good quality.

I didn,t get a headphones hook in the package, its very extrange, can anyone tell me if its an optional thing?

Here is a photo of my new baby and sound test with concert sk grand from yesterday (sorry for the faults I,m still learning the song)[Linked Image]

Hope to learn a lot in this forum
Best luck for all wink

I
I
I'm wondering if someone can confirm this,
If I was to be more keen on the ebony finish but didn't like the silver pedals, would it void the warranty to paint them gold? By that I mean would kawai still come and fix it if it developed mechanical fault?
Thanks

Page 16 of 191 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission