2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2971024 04/24/20 03:54 PM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Does your teacher teach both classical and jazz?

Do you have recitals? If yes, how often?

Just curious based on a post in the Teachers forum

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dogperson

Just classical as far as I know.

Recitals? Yes. Adult only "recitals". We call them studio classes. 3 times a year on a Bosie concert grand. grin

Kawai K500
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Just classical, as far as I know. No recitals, but this is in a college setting, so there are juries at the end of the semester (which I don't do).

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Primarily classical, with some blues thrown in. I'm sure her knowledge is wider than what I'm learning right now, though. She holds performance workshops every month or so (online) and there's a big concert, part online and part in-person, for the school every year. Sadly postponed for this year.

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
B
B

Actually, in my post there, I was thinking more in terms of pop (arrangements, of course) and jazzy arrangements and jazzy contemporary pieces, rather than 'pure' jazz, which I guess is what people would think of when reading your post.

This is based on reading The Piano Magazine (previously Clavier Companion), an American magazine for piano teachers. Many new books of jazz-like teaching pieces and pop arrangements get reviewed there, usually favorably, and teachers extol the value of them for students to keep their interest in piano.

Whereas in the UK, certainly for kids, hardly any teacher would think of teaching arrangements of pop songs.

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
PW Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
PW Gold Subscriber
S
My teachers have not taught ‘pop’. I played it on my own

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
The RCM curriculum contains a Pop Selection List. The songs from this list can be used as a substitute for certain other pieces in the main curriculum, for exam purposes. I have personally not chosen to play from this list yet but a student certainly could do so if he/she and the teacher decide to do so.

Easy arrangements of pop selections just aren't very satisfying to me.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/24/20 05:31 PM.

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure if my teacher teaches jazz, definitely classical though. We have workshops (informal recitals) once a month, and then something formal once a year in the summer. However, it will probably be Zoom. We had a workshop last week, but used Zoom for the first time. It's OK, but definitely isn't the same.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

J
jjo Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
My teacher teaches jazz. She does teach some classical to younger kids, but if you're really serious about classical she would probably tell you to go elsewhere.

Once a year she has what she calls the "piano party." It's a recital but she likes to keep the atmosphere loose and fun.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure what we're talking about here when we say "classical," "jazz," and "pop."

Are you saying that a teaching piece that was written 200 years ago is classical but a teaching piece written last year is ... what?

Learner
S
PW Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by malkin
I'm not sure what we're talking about here when we say "classical," "jazz," and "pop."

Are you saying that a teaching piece that was written 200 years ago is classical but a teaching piece written last year is ... what?

Classical: not the classical period but rather the broader definition of ‘classical’

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I work on a variety of music. My teacher would probably teach me anything I brought in.

His studio is a mix of kids and adults of all levels from beginning to advanced, with a wide range of natural (in)ability as well as levels of dedication.

There is an annual recital. Most of the adults who began as adults don't participate, but I'm a trooper and besides I like to watch the other students, many of whom are preparing undergrad or graduate auditions.

There are occasional other performance opportunities; I was game for the last one, but I was sick. The college kids have better immune systems than I do, and they can stay up later!

Learner
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T

I have not had lessons for a very long time but my teacher in my youth was a professional classical pianist, jazz pianist, composer and conductor. He was possibly rare to the point of being unique back then and I was very lucky. He insisted I attempt many idioms and try to create in them myself. There were no recitals, only the occasional informal evening with a few of his musical friends.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
B
B

It's quite straightforward.

Not to put too fine a point on it, this is Classical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V4bGocFwnE

....and this is (contemporary) classical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n3sF0fapD8

I think you'll agree that there isn't much difference between them, except that they are different in every way. cool

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
S
I'm not sure what we're talking about here when we say “classical”

In the context of learning piano, it’s usually more to do with learning solo piano techniques using music written for piano as a solo instrument. And a lot of that repertoire is “classical” music (meaning all the periods that covers).

As opposed to a lot of modern music where the piano tends to be more of an accompanying instrument and the music has to be rearranged to make any sense on a solo instrument. Jazz is a bit different of course.

My teacher is strictly classical, play-from-the-score, focus on technique and musicality. No jazz or improvising, no pop. (She can play some pop arrangements but doesn’t teach them).

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher is classically trained but he is able to teach just about anything. For the kids they always do some classical and then he lets them play a more popular piece too. In fact his best student loves Jazz. When this student does evaluations at a college, he has to play 3 pieces from variety of styles, usually two classical and one jazz. He usually gets the highest score possible on all the pieces. The students who score high enough on the evaluation are invited to perform in an honors recital The adjudicators almost always pick his Jazz piece.
For adults, they can play any style they like. I choose to play mostly classical. During this time though, I am finding it difficult to concentrate on harder pieces so I am working on one Chopin Nocturne but other than that I am playing a lot of easier pieces in romantic style by Martha Mier.
He usually has one recital a year in June but not this year of course.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Classical & Jazz. The level is lower-intermediate so all the pieces are arrangements for easy piano. As adult learner in group sessions, everybody get into piano as a hobby. No recitals.

Otherwise I have a collection of books I get into playing on my own.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I guess my teacher can teach other genres. There is the Music for Leisure series within the AMEB syllabus, which includes ''well-loved standards from the classics, jazz styles and arrangements of movie themes and popular songs''.However I have only ever requested to learn classical pieces.

She is also semi-retired; I think she only has a handful of students and not enough for recitals which suits me fine.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
My teacher just does classical, but I am not interested in jazz at the moment.

J
J
We work on classical and that definitely seems to be his passion. My school does have adult performance forums, which seem less formal than recitals, but I have only gone to one online one. Not sure if they do recitals, too. I am pretty new to this school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission