2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (ajf0016, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, Beemer, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, Dfrankjazz, 12 invisible), 810 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
OP Offline
G
I'd really enjoy hearing your piano history. I've mentioned in other posts that my current piano is #8 but I've never really listed them and what I thought about them so here you go.

1. (1983) - New Yamaha DX7 - well OK so it's not really a piano. I worked part time and bought this while still in high school. I played it at church, at school for musicals and public performances and took it to college with me. I don't know where it ended up but I think one of the nephews had it last. It had this really neat feature called a breath controller which was a programmable modulation that could be controlled by the strength of your breath. I remember that I created a patch that had bass on the bottom 2 octaves, electric piano on the top 3 and then a brass section that was controlled by the breath controller. It was always a surprise to people to be hearing the walking bass and EP going then all of the sudden there would be a brass hit. Great fun.

2. (1990) - New Kurzweil Ensemble Grande Mark IV - OK so it's still a digital. But it had a weighted keyboard, MIDI and served me nicely for several years while the kids were little. I gave it to my sister years ago.

2.5 (1993) - New Young Chang 5'2" - Not really counting this one. I went into one of those popup piano sales in a strip mall. I loved the finish and it seemed fine in the store so I bought it on a lark (maybe I was pressured a bit by the salesman - "Your kids need to learn on an acoustic!") but after it came home I just hated it. After a few months I donated it to a church and I think they were pleased to have it.

3. (1994) - New Baldwin L - A really nice piano. My tech said it was so easy to tune. It played well and had a great sound. It was the centerpiece of our living room. The person who played it best was my wife's uncle who was a Southern Baptist music minister. He had lost 2 fingers on his right hand and 2 on the left from complications of dialysis but wow could he play it! Baldwins are perfect for gospel music. He'd wink, hold up his hand and say "oops I missed a few notes." I ended up having to sell it because our landlord decided to sell the house that we were renting. We ending up bidding on and buying the house but had to raise cash for a down payment quickly. That was a sad day when the movers took it away.

4. (1999) - Used 1990 Steinway Model S - This was a nice piano but honestly was probably a mistake to buy. I wanted a B but couldn't afford it. I couldn't really afford this one either and ending up financing about 80% of the cost. The action was perfect but the bass was really lacking. I lost it in bankruptcy when our consulting business failed after 9/11. Overall a dumb impulse buy.

5. (2002) - Used 1980 Yamaha U1 - A pretty big step back after losing the Steinway. It was really worn and too bright for my tastes but I wanted to find something that was cheap since cash was short and my credit was shot.

6. (2012) - Used Yamaha DGX 640 digital piano from Craigslist. More financial problems. Lost the house and had to get an apartment. Sold the U1 to raise some cash and found this. Several discouraging years passed having to play a very limited digital keyboard. I ultimately gave this to my daughter and she still has it at her apartment.

7. (2015) - Used 1891 Steinway K upright - For a piano that old, it was an amazing instrument. It had been rebuilt once in its history and had a really nice tone and action. It also had a sostenuto pedal which I thought was rare for an upright. We had moved to an isolated apartment above the complex's garages and I felt comfortable getting an acoustic. It took 6 people to get it up the stairs! What a ridiculously heavy beast. I ended up selling it for cheap to a young tech starting out who wanted something to rebuild.

8. (2018) - Used 1985 Steinway Model B - Finally a dream fulfilled. Finances are back in shape and we're once again in a house. A new B was never in the works but I found a used one that spoke to me. My tech said that when I first got it, it was at about 60% of what it could be. Over the past couple of years he's gotten it up to 80%. As usual, the last 20% is probably the hardest and most expensive but I have a plan and hope to see it through.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I make the list of my pianos that I had until now (not included electronic keyboards and organs). Too much of stories to tell, so here's just the list:

1/ Kawai No. K20 (upright)
2/ Yamaha P-301 (vintage electric)
3/ Yamaha UX-30A Disklavier (upright)
4/ Kawai CL-30 (digital)
5/ Yamaha G2J (grand)
6/ Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208 (digital)
7/ Yamaha PF-1000 (digital)
8/ Yamaha MP-80NT Silent (upright)
9/ Yamaha U3AS (upright)
10/ Pleyel P-190 (grand)
11/ Yamaha YU3Wn Disklavier (upright)
12/ Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227 (semi-concert grand)

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Interesting story, George Smith! I'm sorry to hear about your financial troubles. It sounds like my life events sort of parallel yours but sort of in opposite. I did a lot of consulting and traveling. We had a couple pianos when I was a kid, I had some lessons, and I played guitar. I had wanted a piano for most of my adult life, but didn't get one because I was frequently uprooting and moving, and often in temporary quarters. I considered digitals a number of times, but didn't quite like them back in the day. Sadly, my "how many did you have" stories are more about cars...

I also remember the economic malaise following 9/11, and, in my industry, it compounded the weird phenomenon already in play due to the "Y2K crisis" that never happened, but had many companies pre-spending a fortune to avoid it, so there was less budget to spend in the following years on consultants like me. I spent much of '01 and '02 in Switzerland, and then hibernated in my hometown through '03 and '04. In '05, when things started to heat back up, I moved to an area which seems never to be hit by recession (not for that reason, but only because opportunity led me here). Anyway, for most of my life I was single, lived cheap, and was able to uproot myself and move on hardly a moment's notice. That changed in '09 when I married my wife, resulting in deeper roots and less mobility. She passed away a couple years ago, but I've still got some roots here now. In '11 I stopped consulting and started teaching at a local university, and I enjoy that very much.

Anyway...

1. The only piano I have owned, since '13 I think, is my Baldwin M. I wonder from time to time about upgrading, but I love this one. It's a pretty nice piano, and it has a lot of sentimental value for me since my wife and I hunted it down together. I'm not saying I won't ever get another piano, but if I do I still won't be parting with this one.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
started playing around age 5, here's on what:
1. Grandma's tall old upright from the turn of the 20th century, traded in 1981.
2. new Lesage 45" studio upright in 1981, still in the family.
3. used 1982 Yamaha G1J grand in 1990, sold to a friend in 2005.
4. new Yamaha MX-100 Disklavier upright in 1997, sold in 2013.
5. new Schimmel 130T upright in 2006, still in the family.
6. new Casio PX200 digital in 2007, sold in 2014.
7. new Bechstein A190 grand in 2011, sold in 2015.
8. new Blüthner PRO-88 digital in 2015, still in the family.
9. new Shigeru Kawai SK-6L in 2015, sold in 2019.
10. new Kawai ES8 digital in 2018, still in the family.
11. new Schimmel K230 grand in 2019, sitting in my living room.

...and before people accuse me of largely ignoring American pianos, here's a list of what I've been practicing on at the office:
1. new Yamaha U1 in 2004, sold at a "college sale".
2. new Yamaha U1 in 2005.
3. used 1971 Steinway B, new action.
4. used 1975 Steinway B, new action (same office as #3).
5. used 1970 Baldwin F, new hammers.
6. used 1983 Steinway M (same office as #5).
7. new Steinway A in 2008.
8. rebuilt 1967 Steinway B in 2014 (same office as #7).
9. used 1968 Steinway L in 2016.
10. used 1980 Steinway B in 2016 (same office as #9).
11. used 2011 Steinway A in 2017 (replaced #9, above).
(the last two are in my office now)

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My father's ancient Witton & Witton upright from early 1900s.

1993 Fatar Keyboard with E-mu ProFormance Plus piano module.

2011 Kurzweil stage piano. It was an expensive mistake.

2011 Kawai MP10 digital.

2015 1911 Bechstein Model B grand.

2018 Roland FP-90.

Last edited by johnstaf; 04/22/20 03:55 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Not sure why, but I cannot get access to this thread except through OP’s profile. Unusual setting?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
George, the story of your pianos is the story of your life! Wow!

Here is mine:

1. Yamaha stage piano (model?? borrowed 1998-1999) My first piano was not mine, but one that a friend who was a piano teacher lent me one day after hearing me say "I always wanted to be able to the play the piano." It was a high quality stage piano, just the slab and a pedal and a stand, not the console/furniture style. But it had weighted keys and sounded, to my ears, like magic. I taught myself how to read bass clef (already knew treble) and I was hooked!

2. Yamaha YDP 121 (owned 1999-) At some point, I had to return the stage piano. My husband and I got married in March, and in June, I suddenly told him I wanted to buy a digital piano. I remember we had this fairly long talk where he said that if I didn't play it, it would just end up being a big piece of garbage in the house that you can't get rid of. I assured him I would play it, he seemed skeptical but agreed. I also had a huge jar full of coins that I had been collecting since before married. This was when I lived in Japan, and there's a Y500 coin, which is close to being about $5 US, whenever I got a Y100 coin or Y500 coin, I'd put it in that jar. I took that jar to the bank and got those coins changed into bills, and that paid for the digital piano in full (IOW, I had more than $1000 US in coins!)
This piano still stands in the entry hall of my parents-in-law's house and is still playable. The keyboard feels like mush though. I can't decide if that's how it always felt, and I know it know because of my experience with acoustics, or if it's because it's so old. Also, some trivia: the YDP 121 was part of the line that eventually became the Arius pianos.

3. Yamaha U1 (15 y/o??, owned 2000-2008) After I'd been playing that digital for a year (and had started taking lessons, where I played on Kawai grands) I decided I wanted an acoustic piano. When I told my husband that I wanted to buy an acoustic piano, all he said was "ok, that sounds like a good idea." Remember the year before and his lecture about an unplayed piano being a piece of un-disposable garbage. Well, I guess he'd been watching me (hearing me) play that digital every day, ever since then he's never been anything but supportive of my piano-related pursuits! Anyway, I bought a used Yamaha U1 (this time I didn't pay in coins!) I loved that piano so much. I had the same tuner the entire time, and over the years it started sounding better and better the more he tuned it. I cried when they brought it into my house, and I cried again when it was taken out (that is a story in and of itself). But we moved to the US in 2008, so I had to sell it.

5. Yamaha digital YDP 141 (Arius line, owned 2008-) This is not technically my piano, but my mother got it to keep at her house for me. She said she wanted to have a piano there so I would be more enticed to come and visit her (because she knew I'd want to play it!). We stayed at my mother's house for 2 months when we first returned to the states, she had it delivered while I was there, as a surprise. That was a lot of fun, she told me she was getting a vacuum cleaner delivered and I remember being super confused when it came, "wait, so Yamaha also makes vacuum cleaners?" Anyway, she still has it, and I still play it for her whenever I visit. It stills sounds and plays like it did when she first got it.

5. Yamaha digital YDP 161 (Arius, owned 2009-2019) We returned to the US so I could go to grad school and for the first 6 months I didn't have a piano. But I was going crazy without one. Since I was in grad school, not only did we not have a lot of money, but we also lived in an apartment. So I ordered this piano online, the first time it was delivered it looked like it had been dropped from a very high height, and the treble side of the keyboard had a huge dent and several keys didn't sound! I returned it and they sent me another one, which I kept until last year. I finally sold this piano when I decided to buy the grand, the money I got for it helped with the grand purchase.

6. Baldwin Hamilton upright (from the 1980s maybe, borrowed 2015-2017) This was also not my piano. When I got my current job and we moved down here, the rental house we found had this upright piano sitting in its living room. The funny thing was, we didn't know that until *after* we'd decided to rent the house. It had been sorely neglected (obviously, since it was abandoned). But I had it tuned and it tuned up fine and I played that piano every day, even though it was definitely worn out and I still had my digital. During that time, the owner of the house decided to sell the house (it was run by a management company so we still lived there). I offered to buy the piano from the owner, but she wanted to have it shipped to her daughter. (Knowing what I know now about pianos, I shouldn't have offered to buy it, and the owner should have accepted my offer! :P
Anyway, long story short, I found a different piano to buy and the person I bought that piano from took the Baldwin out and delivered it to the daughter. Leading me to...

7. Petrof 115 upright (from approximately 1990, owned from 2017-2019) I bought this piano from someone I nicknamed the Piano Whisperer (another story in its own right). It was definitely a step up from the Baldwin upright, but still no where near as nice as my beloved U1. Still, it kept my acoustic piano needs met and I played it every day (still neglecting my digital). We started house hunting and I made sure that "piano room" was one of the top criteria that we looked for, with the dream that "one day" I could get a grand piano. Little did I know it would happen so soon...

8. Yamaha C2 grand piano (built in 2000, owned from 2019 to present) I don't know how I figured out we could afford a grand, but I figured we could, and we did. Because of my little Petrof upright, I thought I might try to buy a Petrof grand, but I only had the chance to play one and it was very disappointing. I didn't set out to buy a Yamaha per se, but it was definitely at the top of my list. I spent maybe 6 months, 3 of those casually shopping and 3 of those driving all over tarnation to play all kinds of pianos. At this point, I was much more knowledgeable about pianos and was able to buy a very good grand used from a private seller, based on excellent guidance from my piano tech. After I bought the piano, I had it regulated and voiced and thanks to my tech, it sounds amazing! I love it so much, it brings me joy every day. I really wanted to get it tuned right around now, but because of the virus, I haven't been able to. Nevertheless, it still sounds great, exhibiting the famous Yamaha stability.

So that's it. If, in 1999, you had told me I would have owned this many instruments, and that one day I own my own grand, that I would have piano parties and play ensemble music with a cellist and violinist, I would have looked at you like you were speaking Klingon. grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
OP Offline
G
Wow these are great responses! And I thought I was the only one who'd gone through so many pianos. Don't get me started on guitars or cars either. I am so much enjoying reading about your piano histories and I hope to read many more.

I don't know what's wrong with the thread or if there is a messed up setting. When I posted it I got an error message that there was an error connecting to the database or something like that so I didn't even think it had posted. I came back awhile later and there were responses so I didn't try to re-post.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
A Kohler & Campbell Studio upright.
http://www.kohlerandcampbell.com/km247.html

Bought it when we first arrived in LA from STL in 1979. We had no dough at 25 and found this for $1100 on a closeout sale from a piano store that was going out of business in Lawndale. We had it in the bedroom of a rental house in Redondo Beach and then two different locations after we moved up to the Valley. I was putting in 4-5 practice hours 5-6 days a week on it for close to 10 years..

In 1988 after we'd been in our first home in Sherman Oaks, I had a studio built out of the detached converted garage. We then purchased a Yamaha C7e new for the unheard of price of $13,3000 out the door from Fields & Sons in Orange Co. Put in many hours of practicing and writing on that.

When we moved to Glendale in 1997, I traded the C7 in on a NAMM demo Yamaha S6. Also put in mega hours on that as well. It tended to get bright quickly, so I was constantly having it voiced down. It really needed new hammers by the time I sold it in 2006.

I found the 2005 NY Steinway D on eBay of all places as basically a classified add. No bidding. The seller held it for me as there was a lot of interest because of the age and price.. I flew out to Creston, Iowa at the local Community college to check it. It was at a once in a lifetime price for a nine month old piano. I took delivery on 5/6/06. So coming right up on 14 years of bliss.

I'm probably a bit prejudiced but I have played a lot of pianos- on gigs, in recording studios and at stores - and like I said in the other thread - I've only played one piano in that time that I would've traded mine for on the spot. It was another NY Steinway D. New at the time, maybe around 2014-2015, at the Beverly Hills Steinway dealer. It was perfect.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP4

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Not sure why, but I cannot get access to this thread except through OP’s profile. Unusual setting?

There are a variety of odd behaviors lately. For example, if you click on "Piano World Home Page" above, and from there click on the forums, you'll discover that you're seemingly not logged in. But if you use the back button to go back to the forums, you will be. If you do the above in a new tab, you can actually have a session that's logged in, and one that's not simultaneously. Not that it matters much, of course, but--in layman's terms--it indicates that the various links let the session management get out of sync. I've also noticed that I can be logged in on two different devices, and my own posts from one device will show up as "new" and unread on the other device, when of course I've obviously read them because I wrote them.

Anyway, the nuances of maintaining a web app can be tricky.

How to Upload Pictures

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
First piano:

English Straight-Strung, over-damper, no factory name but shop branded "Unolla". It was junk but you know, I loved it.

Second piano:

1950s Challen, overstrung, looks very much like the beatles piano but doesn't have the tack pedal an is in a darker finish.

Third piano

1980s Knight - these are thoroughly over-rated and overpriced. The sound was good but the action sucked.

First Digital piano:

1998 Roland HP-330E, kept it for ten years, good workhorse actually, not comparable to today's.

First Grand

1912 Blüthner, rebuilt 2017, still have it. 6'3, patent action, aliquot, rosewood finish.

Second grand

2007 Brodmann BG187, my favourite piano ever, the finest build quality I have ever seen, beautiful tone and very durable. Unfortunately due to a problem in the Capo the strings started breaking in the treble, the soundboard wasn't mounted correctly so the tone became weak, and the action parts started breaking because the glue wasn't good, but apart from that it was a sturdy, beautiful workhorse. Not quite as special as a Harrodser which will remain my dream. I sold that piano in 2012

Second digital

2009 (made '06, ex-demo) Yamaha CP300. Impressive piece of kit, although the GH action sucked. Oddly they're still making it today without any updates on it. Sold it last year

Third grand
1894 Blüthner, fully rebuilt.

The Blüthners are both in storage while I do my DMA.

Third digital: Roland HP603, in Scotland.

Digital I have in the USA: Yamaha P515 - I'll flog it when I graduate. I like it enough, but if I move to the USA and have all my stuff brought over I'd put the Roland on the crate.

YAMAHA Artist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Baldwin upright - Don't remember the model. It was the piano I learned on and played straight through college. 1972-2000
Roland FP-5 Digital - purchased in 2003. Pretty decent action for a digital and was midi-capable.
Yamaha NU1-Now, I was getting closer to what I really want
Cunningham Parlour Grand - 2014 to present. I finally have a grand piano. This is my dream piano for now. I am working towards upgrading to a Yamaha C5X or a Mason Hamlin AA. Of Course, if I win the lottery, Fazioli here I come!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
My family had a Story & Clark studio, bought in the 1950s, which my sister still has. My first piano was a Washburn upright from about 1917, and then a Steinway V from about 1914. I sold those, and got my Mason & Hamlin A from 1923, which I still have.

My wife's mother sold her engagement ring to buy her 1920 Steinway O, which we have now.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie

That is happening to me, too.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I posted before and everything was lost. This version is much shorter
Mothers piano 1963 Story&Clark oak colonial console
1) 1995 - new 1993 Baldwin Hamilton console In walnut.
2) 2009 Yamaha GB1K polished walnut. Traded Baldwin in
3) 2009 Casio Privia with stage stand and adj bench
4) 2012 Yamaha C3 traded in GBK1
5) 2019 Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty traded in C3

Let’s see if this works.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes I had to go to the OPs profile to post. Can our Admin fix this?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I can post the ‘normal’ way without going through the OPs profile.

You can always use the ‘report’ button to report the thread for the weird posting problem.

Last edited by dogperson; 04/22/20 06:39 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My goodness, what pianos some of you have gone through. My list is rather short in comparison. The first piano was not "mine", but one my father brought with him from Kristiania when he moved to a farm on a little island off the coast of West Norway. It was a Brødrene Hals, with birdcage action, yellow, chipped keys and nothing to crow about. Both my parents played a little, and at the age of 11, it was decided that I was to carry on the tradition. My mother tried to teach me, but it did not go all that well, but the interest was sparked, and I continued on my own, and, as Anna Russell says: Dragged out the interesting bits and skipped the boring parts. At 13, I had to move away from home due to further education, and the piano was only available on weekends. At 15, I moved even further away, but the school had a piano for practice, so once in a while, I walked down from my humble quarters to spend a little time on the keys.
Move to 1976, I was 28 years old and had the means to buy a Yamaha U1 sight unseen from Japan. I still had no home of my own, but kept it at my parents' farm. That year, I also decided to emigrate to California, one of the many climate refugees that left Norway behind. I packed my U1 back in its crate myself, slapped on a label and hoped for the best. And everything went well, the piano spent some months at my sister's home in Brentwood while I was waiting for a rather long escrow to close, and then we moved together to the much drier San Fernando Valley. And the instrument stayed in tune and made no complaints.
15 years later I wanted a grand, and my love fell on a 1921 Knabe, a former player piano suffering from PMS. (Post Moving Syndrome). The player mechanism had disappeared somewhere, but I was in hog heaven. Just imagine, ein Flügel in meinem Haus. We lived happily together for another 15 years when advanced age started to make problems for the grand. Strings would break, keys would snap. It was time for something newer.
Estonia caught my eye, compliments of Larry Fine, but where to find a used 168? The piano was rather new to USA, and my budget did not allow for a new one. Then, one late evening, my eye fell on an ad in the PennySaver: Estonia 168 for sale, $6000 firm. The next morning, it was mine. And we are still madly in love.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
I'm loving these stories too. But as an aside, I like this:

Originally Posted by ChatNoir
... I packed my U1 back in its crate myself, slapped on a label and hoped for the best. And everything went well ...

We usually hear "you can't" ship a piano overseas. Here's another example of "you can! thumb

How to Upload Pictures

T
T
What stories! A lens on life through the piano purchases made. Here's mine:

1) Grew up with an old sub-6' Hardman grand my parents bought in the mid 60s for $500 used. Movers dropped it during delivery, cracking the soundboard. Wasn't a great piano, but when it's the one you grow up with, you get attached to it. At one point, a distant cousin of my mother's, after hearing me play, offered us his Steinway grand (I have no idea what it was or what kind of condition it was in), and I was heartbroken because I loved the Hardman. Silly boy (perhaps...we'll never know. Maybe the Hardman was better).

2) High school and college years - acquired a Fender Rhodes 88 (to which I added key weights to give it more resistance), a Roland D-50 and Korg M-1. Wanna-be rock-star boy. All three are still in my garage - haven't been touched in decades.

3) When I first moved to L.A., I practiced on my Rhodes - didn't have funds for an acoustic. Served well for a couple of years. Eventually I decided to rent a piano - a tall Yamaha upright (I don't recall what it was, but it was a good piano). When I moved to the Bay Area for grad school, I should've bought it and brought it with me, but all my money was going to Grad school, so I returned it before moving. Silly young man.

4) In the Bay Area, I rented a Kawaii UST-8 upright from Carnes Piano in Palo Alto. Served me well for 18 years as a solid, if uninspiring workhorse (eventually bought it along the way). During this time, I would get pangs of wanting a grand, but between raising my sons and an up and down career, I couldn't justify spending the money (in addition, I was playing very infrequently due to job/family duties). As my kids took up cello and viola, it was a joy to be able to accompany them all the way through high school (and now occasionally while they are in college), which created that spark again. Busy,cash-strapped, and stressed guy.

5) 2014 - after losing both parents within 9 months of one another, I took stock and felt the intense desire / need for a grand. My wife supported that without hesitation (and the career /financial situation had improved significantly). We set out on our first exploratory shopping day, figuring it would take a while to find something. I wish I had discovered Piano World before then, as I really didn't know what I was doing or how to do it properly; then again, maybe it was for the best. I made an appointment with Russell Kassman that first day, and ended up buying a piano that afternoon (with no intention to do so beforehand). It just grabbed me by the throat and said "I'm the one". Best impulse purchase I've ever made, and my C. Bechstein M-180 has a sound and touch that still brings shivers down my spine. I'm so thankful that I stumbled upon it that day. I'm even more thankful that Russell's tech became mine, as he has turned an already great piano into a real gem.

Lucky guy.

Steve
1990 C. Bechstein M-180
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission