2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 191 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 190 191
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OUCH! frown
Originally Posted by mikepis
The manual to CA79 is not written very clearly.

F
F
Originally Posted by evolution42
- The sound of the inbuilt speakers seems good, but I wouldn’t call them great. The sound is slightly muddy and lacks outright punch especially in lower registers. The CA99 is slightly better in this respect with its inbuilt soundboard system, but neither come close to listening through a decent set of headphones.

Sorry to hear that.. I was looking for a piano with a small gap between headphones and built in speakers but still have to find it.

What do you think is the best piano for speakers listening?
Maybe adding some bang and olusfen 1500 euro speakers will be the only solution.

I heard that NV5 had an edge on speaker experience over most Kawai piano anyone tried it head to head with CA99/CS11?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by frax79
- The sound of the inbuilt speakers seems good, but I wouldn’t call them great. The sound is slightly muddy and lacks outright punch especially in lower registers. The CA99 is slightly better in this respect with its inbuilt soundboard system, but neither come close to listening through a decent set of headphones.

Sorry to hear that.. I was looking for a piano with a small gap between headphones and built in speakers but still have to find it.
It's very subjective. Again I think it has to do with overall Kawai soft/"muddy" sound character rather than sound system. Some people are used to bright sounding pianos.

Roland LX708
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It was not my experience that either of the new Kawais (CA99, NV5) with the soundboard speaker system was lacking for low frequency power.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
P
P
Yes , but I start playing before the startup screen fully loads, I'm impatient like that

Paul Twamley
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
It was not my experience that either of the new Kawais (CA99, NV5) with the soundboard speaker system was lacking for low frequency power.

Well neither was and is mine on CA98, and across all frequencies, even mid range give very nice vibrations. Those things are very powerful, IMO most powerful of all digital pianos, including Avant Grands, not sure about NV10, I've tested it and strangely I still think soundboard on other Kawai pianos sound better.

Roland LX708
F
F
Originally Posted by Nordomus
It's very subjective. Again I think it has to do with overall Kawai soft/"muddy" sound character rather than sound system. Some people are used to bright sounding pianos.

I tend to agree but that would also affect headphone use while in my experience it does not.

My ES8 coupled with Sennheiser HD650 which costed a third of the piano price itself return headphone experience miles away speakers experience not muddy at all. That makes me doubt about speaker quality.

Until now I think CS11 thanks to the cabinet size was the best sounding piano via built in speakers but really curious about NV5 and CA99. I guess we will need to wait store opening in order to test them side by side.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
But headphones will be always different because of different sound characteristic and because sound gets to ears directly. Also "Clear" sound might just mean louder high frequencies which is the case for 90% of headphones, even expensive ones. I have never played Kawai concert grand so I'm not sure how those digitals are compared to them but I played some other grand pianos that sound similar. I'm not saying that is really the case here but I think it is worth consideration.

Roland LX708
F
F
I see what you mean and that's a good point, thanks.

Considering what you said, speaker experience does not always need to close the gap with headphones, we just accept them to be different as long as they sound good to you.

A better comparison for speaker experience could be acoustic piano. I will keep that in mind during my next store visit.

In my case with ES8, when playing pieces very busy with notes, a lot of details are lost up to the point I have to stop playing because I can hear only a mess of notes. That does not happen with headphone or with my previous acoustic. Hope I will have better personal experience with CA99 or NV5.

Online Content
Hello Anthony, welcome to the forum and thank you for your detailed post.

To answer your queries:

- Includes a bench with storage, which seems to be of high quality. I know some markets get an adjustable bench, but I’m not sure which they are. Perhaps Kawai James can confirm?

Yes, CA99/CA79 models distributed by Kawai America and Kawai Australia included a bench with storage (model WB-151). In Japan (and some other Asian markets), an adjustable bench without storage (WB-35) is included. In other markets (with some exceptions), a bench is not included.

- Maybe it’s just me, but I find the favourite sound and the user-saved sound function confusing. If I favourite a particular Piano Variation & Virtual Technician setting, when I subsequently select it from the favourites list in the Sound tab, the Virtual Technician settings revert to their default.

Please note that Favorites do not contain any user adjustments. If you make adjustments to a sound, then set it as a Favorite, the adjustments will not be retained. The Favorites functionality is simply to provide easy access to the user's preferred factory default sounds (i.e. without adjustments).
In order to prepare adjusted versions of these sounds, and have them immediately available from a single list, please use the User sounds function.

Also I can’t seem to select a user-saved setting from the Sound tab, and go back to the Piano tab (where it shows the picture of the SK-EX) without it reverting to default VT and ambience settings.

I will need to confirm this behaviour.

- Whilst the graphics on the touchscreen disappear after auto-display off has been activated, the backlight of the touchscreen seems to stay on, which is noticeable in a dark room.

Backlight off functionality is planned for a future software update.

Can Kawai James confirm this is consistent across Ebony Satin models, as I believe the Rosewood version has red felt?

Yes, that's correct.

Black Satin and White Satin finish instruments feature silver parts with black felt, while Rosewood finish instruments feature gold/brass parts with red felt.

- Can Kawai James confirm the standby power consumption of the piano (i.e. if it is powered on, but with the display off?) Given the long startup time, I prefer to leave it on standby than powering it down but am wondering whether it will consume much power.

I will need to check this with the product certification team.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Online Content
Hello mikepis,

If I intend to use CA79/99 as a regular midi controller, would it work?

Yes, I believe so. Provided the only MIDI data required is for the keyboards and pedals.

The manual to CA79 is not written very clearly.

I did not have a great deal of involvement in the creation of the CA99/CA79 owner's manual, however I shall pass on your feedback to the team that oversaw this documentation.

Could not find the option of storing midi-related data (channel number, program change number, local on/off, split point, transpose, dual function etc.) as a user-defined configuration. There is a brief mention of "Favorites category" on pg. 34 and "Save this sound" option on pg. 35 and that's it.

Please note that on the CA99/CA79, MIDI settings are set globally. Therefore, it is not possible to change MIDI settings "on the fly" by selecting different User memories.
By default, MIDI settings will be reset to the factory default configuration when the instrument is turned off/on, however this behaviour can be changed by selecting either the "Current" or "Power Off" Startup Settings type. As noted in my reply to Andrew above, Favorites do not store any user-defined adjustments. Nominating a sound as a "Favorite" simply adds that sound to the "Favorites" list, using the factory default settings.

On the other hand, the Novus NV5 manual is written very well and the Favorites Screen layout an storing Favorite memories are outlined in detail. The question is whether this applies also to CA79/99. I am afraid it does not. The firmware in both is obviously different.

Yes, the CA99/CA79 and NV5 use completely different systems, and are therefore not comparable in this respect.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
T
I like my new CA99. My biggest complaint so far is that line out volume can't be adjusted separately from master volume. I would like to combine
onboard speakers with my audio system (Genelec). Could this be fixed as software update? That would be super nice.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Tuomas 2
I like my new CA99. My biggest complaint so far is that line out volume can't be adjusted separately from master volume. I would like to combine
onboard speakers with my audio system (Genelec). Could this be fixed as software update? That would be super nice.
Would be nice but can't you control volume on your external speakers? It actually makes more sense since you would set volume on external speakers once and then regulate by piano volume slider.

Roland LX708
T
T
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by Tuomas 2
Would be nice but can't you control volume on your external speakers? It actually makes more sense since you would set volume on external speakers once and then regulate by piano volume slider.

That is bad idea because if I set master volume down to some nice level, and amplify low volume line out signal with some external device, it also amplify noise to unbearable level.

Last edited by Tuomas 2; 04/20/20 01:46 PM.
T
T
Hi all,
Thanks for this very valuable forum.
I'm about to buy a CA79 remotely. I was initially targetting a CA78, but I think I have a better deal for a CA79 here in France . That's why I'm interested in opinions from people having tried both CA78 and CA79.

Here is my dilemma:
- I have tested CA78 and appreciate it a lot (I didn't even notice the teflon or the "spongy feel" some mentioned)
- I haven't tested CA79, and don't know when I would be able to
- I obviously am reading from Kawai and dealers that GF3 is better than GF2 (nothing strange), but also here and there, that the GF3 touch is "lighter" than GF2 or sometimes "too light"
- It's really hard for me to get an opinion on this, especially as I think opinions mix "lighter weight" with some kind of "less friction"
- Other upgrades from CA78 to CA79 are of less importance for me. The touch is important.

To give you some background about my practice, as well as tests I've done:
- I'm upgrading from an old Roland HP1600, and in any case I'm sure I will be happy coming from an HP1600, but in the same time, CA79 is a bugdet for me, and I plan keeping the new DP for several years.
- For example if the touch of CA79 was as light as ES8's RH3, it wouldn't be acceptable for me. However, strangely enough, I found MP7SE's RH3 OK
- MP11SE's GF perfectly OK, and CA78's GF2 perfectly perfect smile

Your opinion/experience on GF3 is welcome.
BR,
Tibobik

E
E
Thanks Kawai James for your responses.

In addition to confirming the standby power consumption of the CA79, are you also able to pass on the following points regarding the touchscreen/user interface to the relevant teams so they can be fixed in an upcoming software update?

- The touchscreen doesn’t seem to be overly responsive, nowhere near the response of say a modern mobile phone. Sometimes I can press it lightly with a fingertip and other times I need to firmly press my fingerprint and wait a second or two for it to respond. However, the most annoying thing about it is the way that it will inadvertently change slider settings when you are scrolling through options (e.g. the Virtual Technician settings). An example of this can be seen in this video review at 4min 2secs, where he is simply scrolling through the list but is inadvertently changing some parameters to their maximum settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmDWa7Y1Iw4&t=4m02s I really hope this is fixed with a future firmware update.

- When using the keyboard (e.g. to save sound settings with a particular name), there doesn’t seem to be an option to use capital letters so all of my presets are in lower-case (not good for my OCD haha). Again, I hope this is fixed in a firmware update.

Online Content
Anthony, I have passed on your feedback to the development team.

Kind regards,
James
x

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Tibobik
- I obviously am reading from Kawai and dealers that GF3 is better than GF2 (nothing strange), but also here and there, that the GF3 touch is "lighter" than GF2 or sometimes "too light"
I think it has been debunked. GF3 is just more responsive and more evenly weighted, that's why it may appear as lighter.

Roland LX708
G
G
@ Tibobik
I've purchased my CA79 after testing it against the CA78. The GF3 action is much faster. Several members of this forum weighted the GF3 keys between 48-53 grams (one report mentioned 55 grams). In terms of weight this is what you would see as average in the acoustic grands.
I am very happy with the CA79 glad I got it (had to wait for few days to have it delivered in North East of France...).

M
M
Hello Kawai James.

Many thanks for the explanation.

One last question.

Having read your text, it seems to me that the concept of the Favorites function in CA79/99 (merely the sound storage without user-defined adjustments) is entirely different from the Favorite function in Novus NV5. If so, this is a bit misleading to me.

NV5 manual says: " The Favorite function allows the current instrument setup (sound selections, split point, reverb and effect settings, and various other panel options) to be stored to a memory and immediately recalled with a single tap. The Favorite screen displays 4 memories per page, with a maximum of 4 pages, allowing a total of 16 different Favorite memories to be stored."

MIDI settings (PC number, local control, channel number) are explicitly said to be included in the adjustments, too.

That means, I can have in total 16 different user-defined "live sets" (that name is used by Roland). Do I understand it correctly?

Thanks

Page 13 of 191 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission