2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (Charles Cohen, AlainGeneva, David B, c++, accordeur, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 679 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 54 of 64 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 63 64
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Drastic measures for drastic times I guess.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Here’s the link to the RCM website with Covid-19 updates about the exams:

https://www.rcmusic.com/learning/examinations/spring-2020-exams-update#panel-298

There’s an option to postpone. I’m not signed up for the spring exam but I don’t think I’d want to do a practical exam via Zoom. Lessons, ok, but not an exam.

Kawai K-500
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
It's what my teacher said last night. I know it's crazy and defeats the purpose. I guess it's so they can print it out ahead of time and have it ready. Otherwise, it would probably take too long to print out on the spot (assuming they have a printer), or try to use a phone/tablet to read it.
I told that to my 8-year-old student this morning during his lesson, and his response was, "That's not fair!"

Aside from that, how can you assess musical nuances like tone quality and dynamic shading through Zoom???

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
It's what my teacher said last night. I know it's crazy and defeats the purpose. I guess it's so they can print it out ahead of time and have it ready. Otherwise, it would probably take too long to print out on the spot (assuming they have a printer), or try to use a phone/tablet to read it.
I told that to my 8-year-old student this morning during his lesson, and his response was, "That's not fair!"

Aside from that, how can you assess musical nuances like tone quality and dynamic shading through Zoom???

I don't disagree with you at all there smile That's something the new teacher is working with me on and I still suck at, but it's getting better. Hard to undo old habits. I've been spending more time practicing on acoustic as well. I think that will help.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Yes drastic times. Zoom doesn't capture the nuance or even the actual sound you're making as you play. At my university we have moved all our courses online and we're asked to be super flexible to just get the students through the semester. In some ways I feel like I'm encouraged to just give them the "pass" so no one is stressed any more than necessary. Perhaps this spring's exams are like a pass/fail. If you show up and appear to complete the exercises, you did it.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
C
C
I think the only decent way to get a decent sound with these apps is if it's coming straight from the piano to the camera via cable (such as an xlr connection.)... otherwise, you're always gonna get some sort of interference and not capture it the way it was played.... that is if you're on a digital.... with an acoustic it's a different story

Kawai ES110

O
O
I have an RCM exam question. My teacher has been emphasizing the period of the piece and how it would have sounded as it was played. For instance, Burlesque in G Major would have traditionally been played on a harpsichord and would sound more "plucky" than the piece is written. She asked me to shorten the baseline to be more true to the sound expected:

How it is written (sort of): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44USVq5hXek

How she asked me to play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRKxlU7vWI

Which of these is more "right" for the exam?

--
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by oBreak
I have an RCM exam question. My teacher has been emphasizing the period of the piece and how it would have sounded as it was played. For instance, Burlesque in G Major would have traditionally been played on a harpsichord and would sound more "plucky" than the piece is written. She asked me to shorten the baseline to be more true to the sound expected:

How it is written (sort of): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44USVq5hXek

How she asked me to play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRKxlU7vWI

Which of these is more "right" for the exam?

Second sounds more "right" to me. My teacher literally just told me a few weeks ago about this and has taught me the technique to do that. Something like a flick of the wrist. The first version is too legato.

If you want to do well on your exam, your playing should emulate the way the official RCM recordings sound. If you have the RCM repertoire book, there should be an access code at the front or back cover.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/15/20 03:00 PM.

Kawai K-500
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Sorry, I clearly misread your post. You were asking about baseline, i.e., left hand. I was referring to the right hand when I was saying flicking of the wrist. However, I do agree that the left hand should be more detached.

Keep in mind I am the blind leading the blind. LOL. eek So you may not want to listen to me and hope someone with many more years of experience will drop in and provide some good advice!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/15/20 03:09 PM.

Kawai K-500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I vote for playing it the way your teacher thinks you should play it. The examiners are themselves piano teachers and piano professionals. They aren't going to mark you down for playing it the way your piano teacher has taught it as they themselves will be aware of those different performance styles. They are looking for other thinks when they listen to you play.

BTW, my RCM examiner wasn't even sitting close to me or watching my hands - he judged my playing largely by ear, I believe.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
To those that have sat the RCM exam before, after the exam, do we get some kind of paper certificate in the mail that says we completed the exam, or do we just get the online report card? Thank you!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/24/20 01:45 AM.

Kawai K-500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
To those that have sat the RCM exam before, after the exam, do we get some kind of paper certificate in the mail that says we completed the exam, or do we just get the online report card? Thank you!
I only got an online report card. But I didn't look further online and nothing was ever physically mailed to me, not even the report card. Good question though, is there a piece of paper we can print out?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
You should get a certificate, I did for 3 and 5. I'm still waiting for Level 6 to be sent though, and I took that last August. Maybe something has changed.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I only got an online report card. But I didn't look further online and nothing was ever physically mailed to me, not even the report card. Good question though, is there a piece of paper we can print out?

You should get a certificate, I did for 3 and 5. I'm still waiting for Level 6 to be sent though, and I took that last August. Maybe something has changed.

Thanks to you both. I did it in January, after both of you, so if you didn’t get it yet, I shouldn’t expect to get it yet either. However, bSharp(C)yclist, for you it seems like an awful long time?

For me, maybe Covid19 might’ve slowed the mailing? I’m going to call next week to see if policies have changed.

Kawai K-500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Thanks to you both. I did it in January, after both of you, so if you didn’t get it yet, I shouldn’t expect to get it yet either. However, bSharp(C)yclist, for you it seems like an awful long time?

For me, maybe Covid19 might’ve slowed the mailing? I’m going to call next week to see if policies have changed.
An 8 month delay in mailing suggests to me it isn't coming and as you mentioned, policies may have changed. I'd be curious when you call if they tell you a certificate is available online somewhere for you to printout yourself?

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
An 8 month delay in mailing suggests to me it isn't coming and as you mentioned, policies may have changed. I'd be curious when you call if they tell you a certificate is available online somewhere for you to printout yourself?

I’ll keep you guys updated as to what I find out.

Kawai K-500
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I emailed them, I'll let you know what I hear. For the other certificates, they came about 4 months after I took the exam.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I emailed them, I'll let you know what I hear. For the other certificates, they came about 4 months after I took the exam.

Thanks for the info.

Kawai K-500
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I do have a question for those that took the online theory test, instead of in person. The in person test I had scheduled for May will convert over to the online one. I'm wondering what the format is? I think they will send something to me in May and then I have about 2 months to finish.

I was planning to take the piano practical exam in August, but I wonder if that will happen. Might get delayed until later in the year.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I was planning to take the piano practical exam in August, but I wonder if that will happen. Might get delayed until later in the year.

My teacher doesn’t think the August exam will be back to normal because either things will still be closed or there will be a surge of examinees due to those who postponed from spring. She actually suggested I should consider postponing, especially if I didn’t want to do it online. Which is fine. I will just start on material for the next grade before I do the exam.

Kawai K-500
Page 54 of 64 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 63 64

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,869
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission