2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I'm giving this a date, because threads live forever.

Last night I met up with my teacher. We've been using Zoom since fall 2019. For the first time, I had to give him permission to enter - given what's happening out there, I understand the changes. When he got on, he could hear me, but I could not hear him. Finally we decided to close of Zoom and meet on Skype. The picture I saw was grainy in the Skype way but he said I was coming in through Zoom, and he had no video of me on Skype. Since we were hearing each other, and seemingly via Zoom, we closed off Skype. Immediately I stopped hearing him, but he heard me, like before. Skype was off. Zoom was on (again) so I closed it (again) "for all participants" and this time watched carefully for it to have truly closed down. Zoom was definitely off. Teacher rang me over Skype, I answered Skype, watching the screen, and saw Zoom open up as well. As if answering Skype co-opens Zoom. This time we both closed Zoom, since I could not get my teacher's voice via Zoom, and continued with Skype.

I know that Zoom has doubled users within a very short time, so they are working feverishly and it may get buggy. Did anybody get weird experiences recently, like between yesterday and today? Any explanation about this crossover thing that happened?

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Have you pre-tuned the sound and identified the type of mic?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Lately, Zoom is different every day.
This morning, there were separate operations to turn on video and then to turn on audio.

Learner
OP Offline
Originally Posted by malkin
This morning, there were separate operations to turn on video and then to turn on audio.

Are you using it daily? I only do weekly, so I can't find patterns. They must be scrambling like mad over there.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
They've been getting a lot of bad press about security issues - they are probably scrambling to fix all the bugs that the increased usage has revealed.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Were you on a computer, laptop or phone? I've had trouble with my android phone getting the sound to work. It shows a headphone instead of a microphone.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
OP Offline
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Were you on a computer, laptop or phone? I've had trouble with my android phone getting the sound to work. It shows a headphone instead of a microphone.

Both of us had laptops, and we've been using the system for a lot of months. His is the internal mike of the laptop. I have a mixer with a clip-on mike (XLR) and piano cable feeding in. Am using an external speaker to hear him. He goes between headphones and external speaker (hm).
They've been getting a lot of bad press about security issues - they are probably scrambling to fix all the bugs that the increased usage has revealed.

That's what I'm thinking. This morning Zoom had a whole bunch of updates to upload.

The cross-over with Skype was just weird.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

On Friday, April 4, I set up a Zoom meeting for April 6, , specifying "no password".

On Sunday morning, April 6, nobody could sign in -- the meeting was demanding a password.

On Sunday afternoon, April 6, Zoom sent an e-mail announcing that, on April 4, it had changed its software to require a password to enter a meeting.

So things are a bit confused, at Zoom. That's what happens when your user base expands ten- or twenty-fold quickly, you get lots of expert eyes looking at your work, and problems that you were going to fix "some day", have to be fixed _now".

I'm sure things will stabilize Real Soon Now.<g>

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by malkin

Are you using it daily? I only do weekly, so I can't find patterns. They must be scrambling like mad over there.

Several times each day starting 3/16.

Learner
M
M
I've not yet seen any need for a password - I just use my personal meeting ID for all lessons, and I have a waiting room set up for students who join early. Most of the sound issues I've had are as the result of it being the first time a person has used it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
So just to make sure - Nobody is getting any kind of Skype-Zoom crossover like we experienced, or has an explanation for it?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
For me Skype is still Skype and Zoom is still Zoom.
There is a way to run Zoom from within Microsoft Teams but that doesn't sound related to your issue.

I wouldn't worry. By next week it could all be different again.

Learner

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
I know that Zoom has doubled users within a very short time, so they are working feverishly and it may get buggy. Did anybody get weird experiences recently, like between yesterday and today? Any explanation about this crossover thing that happened?
Sounds like you are not the only one. Zoom sent an announcement today (April 12):

Issues streaming to third-party services

New incident: Investigating

We have received reports of issues streaming to third-party streaming services (YouTube, Facebook Live, and others). Our operations team is currently investigating.

Time posted

Apr 12, 07:18 PDT

Components affected

Integrations - Live Streaming

https://status.zoom.us/incidents/ljr7b18stc33

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission